x36 radios in Alberta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6BRW

I'm still in limbo, reading all of the posts about the 536 it amaizing, the want list and the should have list along with a small amount of feedback from UPMAN I think I'm going to wait for a bit to see what the remote looks like and if anything is fixe or changed/updated as per "Customers" request. Just sounds like they have dropped the ball on listening to what the consumer needs. Then I'll work on selling all of my radios to help pay for 2 of them

MrVelvet

Any early reviews from Calgary/Alberta/Canada users?

I'm just wondering if I can justify spending the cash for a 436.

Will I see better reception in terms of quality and distance? Or am I paying for the new feature sets like the integrated db?

Thanks

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm still waiting for my radio. I should have realized you get what you pay for - cheap shipping equals glacial shipping speeds.

Departed north Texas on 4 Feb, got to Chicago on 9 Feb, in Mississauga on 11 Feb. Apparently Customs has released it, so Canada Post must have it for aging or something now.

Andy Donato of the Toronto Sun had an editorial cartoon decades ago about Canada Post that involved a letter being delivered by a tortoise lying on a skateboard, its feet unable to reach the ground. I remember this every time I deal with Canada Post (and I wish I could find that cartoon).

smason

I'm still waiting for my radio. I should have realized you get what you pay for - cheap shipping equals glacial shipping speeds.

Departed north Texas on 4 Feb, got to Chicago on 9 Feb, in Mississauga on 11 Feb. Apparently Customs has released it, so Canada Post must have it for aging or something now..

I hear ya. My el-cheapo dash-cam from China took about 5 weeks. Painful.

HDMechanic

im in the same boat. My new 536 should be here any day now which I ordered Durham. Was sent 2 weeks ago and am still waiting. Im thinking the bad weather back east is part of my wait.

omrail

I got my 536 Last week from Radioworld and it is a nice unit. I am in Leduc AB as for the Reception the qualities pretty good and the distance I find with my setup is the same as with the BCT15. Having said that my setup is not 100%. The stock antenna reception is very good and may be better than my BCT 15 with stock antenna. To be fair however I have not used it very much to scan local frequencies, But have been using it for tone out searches and in discovery mode.

This is my first base/mobile digital scanner and I am pleased with it and look forward to the further updates. The biggest thing I like about this new scanner is the larger screen size, sure allows for more information to be displayed and is very easy to read. There are some differences to it from my BCT 15 which I am having to get used to but overall I like the 536.

heinz_david

Premium Subscriber
Picked up both new scanners locally here in Calgary (NTF). Today's current price is lower than Durham. Was not interested in paying additional for shipping - and waiting for Canada Post to feed their mule train. I believe the current best deal for these is local. Just checked Radioworld - prices even higher. Possible cause of higher prices...... US $ to CDN $ ? Glad I got mine when I did.........

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The US -> $ CDN conversion is what really hurt. Cost me approx $50-$100 cdn per radio simply due to conversion.

I get the new radios at a great price in US $ but then the currency conversion (my credit card seems to charge whatever it feels like that day). Then I pay shipping and 13% HST on top (the benefit being the end user doesnt pay extra HST on top).

Canadian retailers were originally hoping for much cheaper prices on the new radios... but once the radios got to Uniden the cdn $ tanked (maybe all us canadians were buying US$ to get the radios lol),
anyways we all got screwed.

I can understand why RW prices got higher.

Just checked Radioworld - prices even higher. Possible cause of higher prices...... US $ to CDN $ ? Glad I got mine when I did.........

omrail

Just checked Radioworld - prices even higher. Possible cause of higher prices...... US $ to CDN $ ? Glad I got mine when I did.........

As i got my 536 from Radioworld i am also very happy i got mine when I did also. from an email i got from them sounds like most of the first order was sold. So i would say the 2nd order was at the lower Canadian $.

omrail

got a 436hp at NTF yesterday for 619. and today he asking 639.

Last week he had two prices shown for them 619 and 689 or something like that. I had a look yesterday around 9 AM and both prices were showing 619, and sometime in between then and about 1130 the price went to 639. I called to find out if he had any and to confirm the price and was told that he only had one left and it was reserved. He told me that you call the other person find out they still one of the radio if not it was mine for 639. Don't know if that was the radio you got macjer but if it was glad to see that he didn't charge extra $20.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Well, I received mine today, finally. I would say, even with the limited time I've spent playing with it so far, I'm impressed with its reception. Check this out:

https://soundcloud.com/jason-low-20/02-25-16-40

The above clip was recorded while in motion on Highway 22 just south of the traffic circle at Highway 8, using only the stock antenna, with the radio sitting in a cup holder in the truck. The HP1 didn't hit on the signal because it was scanning another section of my favorites list, but if it had, I'm confident it would not have been as clear (based on past experience receiving digital signals that far outside the city).

I took a set of charged Sanyo Eneloop XXs and a pre-configured SD card with me when I went to pick up the radio, so that I was ready to go right away. I even had the latest firmware update on the card, and the radio automatically applied it prior to powering up.

The profile on my SD card is configured to receive everything (all service tags enabled and max range (50 miles) set from my home's lat/long), so my HP1 mounted in the truck was hitting on more conversations than the 436 did. Tweaking the profile will of course help with that. (Several BC systems were enabled when I set the range at 50 miles, as well as Lacombe - talk about optimistic!)

As people have said, the format for the audio recordings' metadata is not the same as it was on the HP1. I saw a post elsewhere on the forums that implied that almost all the data you would ever want to know about a recording is saved in the file, but it's not supported by my particular media cataloging program. (I can see the fields in the file if I view it in Notepad.) I'm looking for a metadata viewer right now.

The speaker is plenty loud, especially when the radio is in a cup holder like it was on my trip home from the post office.

Battery longevity, alert capabilities, and other stuff will have to wait until I've had the thing a bit longer.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Battery longevity - seems to last about 8 hours on a full charge of these Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Not bad, but wish it was longer. I'll survive, just have to remember to either plug it in if I'm stationary, or keep a set of charged spares in close reach.

Alerting - works fine. If anything at default settings the alerting is a little loud. I had the volume on 4 while at work, and I have some UIDs tagged with alerts so I can confirm their identities. Almost made me jump out of my seat.

Plugged it into GPS today and my truck-mounted antenna and took a drive. Picking up enough of the signal off Banker's Hall and/or Spy Hill on the Calgary system to decode digital signals passably in Exshaw. Could hear analog comms on the same system all the way into Canmore.

I'm mildly chagrined at the fact that the recordings don't display their metadata like the HP1's did - for some reason, the media cataloging program I use is not catching the data even though they use the same RIFF WAV infotags. Someone is working on a program to read/display them, though, so that's ok. Plus, the tags that are present if you look at the file with Notepad++ or some other editor imply that there will be a lot more data available to view than that which the HP1 gave.

Like I said in another thread, the sensitivity/range and digital decode quality alone is enough to make me want to get a small fleet of these. I know there are a few others of you out there with these radios. Got any comments on them?

MrVelvet

If you happen to make your way to Okotoks, make sure to let me know if you can pick up the Calgary system around town.

:D

Jay911

Feed Provider
I see no reason why it shouldn't, especially with the (relatively) new South Hospital site up & running. I'll try to make a trip sometime soon, maybe this week in the afternoon sometime.

MrVelvet

Thanks Jay - I'd really appreciate that.

If I were home when you came out, I'd buy you a coffee for your time.

A

Ambulance2014

Does anybody know if EMS has a EMS to Hospital Channel up and running yet ? I know all the other Calgary Hospitals and Health Centers do but I have not seen one yet for South Health Campus? Would anybody know if there are any Frequencies for the Hospital grounds or anything to monitor up at the new Hospital ?

Jay911

Feed Provider
If you happen to make your way to Okotoks, make sure to let me know if you can pick up the Calgary system around town.

:D

I drove through last night. On the 2A at Northgate, the South Hospital site was doing quite well, and unfortunately got poorer and poorer coming down the hill. I didn't have consistent signal again until Cimarron Bv (and then I had strong signal all the way down the 7 into Black Diamond).

The problem is the majority of Okotoks is in a bowl. Not quite as bad as Cochrane, but enough to mask the Calgary signal from reception in town.

Unless of course you can put a receiving antenna on either the D'Arcy Ranch or Bill's Hill. :D

MrVelvet

Thanks a bunch Jay!

I'm on the NE side of town still on top of the valley by the Airport, so I may be in luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.