x36 radios in Alberta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Ok, might as well throw this post out there. Anyone else order a 436HP or 536HP? Is there a point in me offering up any of my favorites files?

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I am looking to get one, I talked to Ray at NTF, he gets back from vacation next week and he was looking into how many units he would have to buy to get a discount. It will probably go nowhere but hey, doesn't hurt to ask...

Jay911

Feed Provider
Here's what I've been playing with so far.

I haven't put much in the way of quick keys in these, except overall on 'Local' for the systems. Here's my philosophy on quick keys.

0 to 9 are for services you might want to hear regardless of location.
1 - Fire
2 - EMS
3 - Police
4 - Business
5 - Recreation
6 - Public Works/Roads
7 - Utilities (Gas/Electric)
8 - Airport
9 - Tri-Services/Interop
0 - Miscellaneous/Hunting

I do the same with Group Quick Keys inside a system, so I know that if I want to hear the police, I just have to turn on GQK3.

I use a slightly different method for regional keys. I group areas that can be heard together/work together and assign them a number from 10 on up.

The 'local' file has examples of this like so:

10 - provincewide
11 - Calgary/Rockyview/Tsuu T'ina/Stoney
12 - Foothills/Eden Valley/Kananaskis
13 - Bighorn/Banff/Clearwater/Mountain View/Jasper
14 - Crowsnest/Vulcan/Willow Creek
15 - Forty Mile/Lethbridge/Warner
16 - Blood/Cardston/Pincher Creek/Waterton
17 - Kneehill/Wheatland/Gleichen
18 - Cypress/Newell/Special Area 3/Taber
19 - Lacombe/Ponoka/Red Deer

Take note, the data in Local.hpe is not all-inclusive containing everything I'd listen to. I do leave the "full database" entries switched on for most of these as well. The RRDB is accurate enough for most of it that I feel comfortable using it; the stuff in Local is stuff I want to customize or channels I'm trying to determine the use of, etc.

Before anyone asks - I have not included my custom Calgary Digital Radio system and a couple of other systems in the file I'm sharing with you. Sorry; I just can't share it without running afoul of the rules.

All three files below have some OFT (one-frequency-trunk) systems in them. For those who don't know, OFT is Uniden's way of handling talkgroups and radio IDs on "conventional" P25 frequencies. If you were to just program them as conventional and assign a NAC (or search), you wouldn't see TGIDs or RIDs, even though conventional P25 uses them.

Local is stuff around Southern Alberta that I listen to on a regular basis.

700 Interop takes the NIFOG 700 MHz channels (which correspond to the Canadian interop channels) and puts each one in its own OFT system - see above for why. You'll want to set the 700 section of the national system "CAN - Interop" to Avoid if you use this one, or else you'll get double data (once from the main DB, once from the favorite).

AFRRCS is of course the AFRRCS data as drawn from the published licenses and everyone's monitoring. All the single-frequency sites (in VHF and UHF backhauls) are entered as OFTs; the 700 MHz sites are entered as one large system. Lock out (avoid) the full DB version of AFRRCS unless you want to hear double.

Attachments

• AFRRCS.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 700 Interop.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Local.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 91

Jay911

Feed Provider
Holy crap! Can't see him selling many at that price.

Welcome to Canadian retailers' thinking. I paid $555 CDN from a Texas company including shipping, taxes, brokerage, etc., and the only problem is it's taking its sweet-*** time getting shipped.

I wouldn't pay another $130 just for the privilege of "buying local".

It's the same as book prices used to be, where you could get a book for $11.99 in the US but we have to pay $17.95. These guys have kept their prices stratospherically high because that's what the exchange rate was like when the Canadian dollar was worth 65¢ US. Nowadays they're just being greedy.

smason

Yep, can't say I've purchased ANY radio in Canada since my Pro 2006

That's almost $200.00 more than Scannermaster and Universal. Even Durham is $50.00 less.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Same here. I'd like to support local dealers but if they're going to gouge me, forget it. I can just as easily order from the US and easily save lots of money. ScannerMaster has been my goto dealer for quite a while now.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I see Radioworld has the 436 for $570. For those that bought did Ray match this price or come close as I know he has in the past if you support him?

wrex

Premium Subscriber
Scannermaster vs RadioWorld HP436

Ordered 436 from Scannermaster Nov 21 . Received Feb 03.
USPS > Canada Post. to Kitchener, Ontario

Credit card charged .... $540.00 USD @ 1.077993817 = 593.33 Cdn
Canada Post charges .. GST/HST 27.07 + 9.95 Handling = 37.82

Total cost in $ Canadian = $631.15

RadioWorld = $570.00
Hst/Gst 13% = 74.10
Total = 644.10

My savings plus long wait = $12.95

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I ordered 436's from both Durham and ScannerMaster. Durham order came Monday and ScannerMaster today. Saved $34.54 CDN by going through Durham. Postage was cheaper at Durham and I ordered just a couple of weeks ago. Paid ScannerMaster about a month ago before the CND dollar really tanked.

For now my vote is with Durham and I'm a long time ScannerMaster customer. ScannerMaster's 1-800 number no longer works in Canada so that's to bad too.

mryvr

I bought mine from Durham and was the first time that I have dealt with them. Everything went perfectly and the deal wasn't bad as they shipped to Vancouver for free.

+1 for Durham Radio

shteb13

If I were you I would have contacted torontokris he probably could have done better and local!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VE6E0

His last price for a 436 NIB was $599 CAD, but customer to pay shipping.

Will let others decide if this is a deal or not.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.