x36 Regarding MicroSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I doubt that. It's just strange how two cards refuse to work, and how I bought two new cards from Staples and one works in my 536, but the 436 refused to format it, as did the computer. Strange!

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Yeah, I know, it's a far-out notion, just wondering why there are so many SD card issues being reported.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Formatting

Have you tried the SD card formatter from the SD association? I posted a link in message #7. I've been using it on other radios that use SD cards and have never had a failure since. I've reformatted a card that was giving me issues and since then it never has had another problem.
They say Windows does not properly format the cards. Windows uses a generic formatter.

It's worth a try.

I doubt that. It's just strange how two cards refuse to work, and how I bought two new cards from Staples and one works in my 536, but the 436 refused to format it, as did the computer. Strange!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Fixed it!! Finally got the computer to format the cards. After formatting the cards through the formatter, instead of loading them into the radio I cleared them in Sentinel through the card reader, then updated the firmware in the card reader. My 436 is happily using the 4GB card it came with. I want to thank everyone here who was brainstorming with me!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
OK, thought I fixed it. Connected the scanner to Sentinel. Both Windows and Sentinel will not acknowledge the drive. WTF?!?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the SD card formatter from the SD association? I posted a link in message #7. I've been using it on other radios that use SD cards and have never had a failure since. I've reformatted a card that was giving me issues and since then it never has had another problem.
They say Windows does not properly format the cards. Windows uses a generic formatter.

It's worth a try.

The formatter wouldn't recognize the card either. What I would get is a removable disk, but there was no content in it, I don't know what the hell this is

jackj

After numerous cards failing to format, I think I'd suspect a computer problem. But what the hey...that's just me!

04Z1V6

I use micro sd for many things and I must use the adapter that makes it fit into the laptop, out of six adapters only two work. I use those two for all my micro sd cards. I fortunately have not had a problem in a scanner.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I am bumping this up because I resurrected a pure Windows computer and loaded Sentinel. Followed the directions and connected my 436. Guess what? WON'T READ THE &^%$&^ SCANNER!!!! Once again it asks for format. I have formatted the damned card every time I need to update the scanner. What gives with this? Other than this, I love these radios.

wise871

Database Admin
I had to stop using the USB cable. Every time I tried to update my 436 or 536 it would pretty much corrupt my SD cards. I only have a 1 in 10 success rate which is pretty bad. I now use a SD card reader to update my scanners. I never had this issue with the home patrol.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I had to stop using the USB cable. Every time I tried to update my 436 or 536 it would pretty much corrupt my SD cards. I only have a 1 in 10 success rate which is pretty bad. I now use a SD card reader to update my scanners. I never had this issue with the home patrol.

Some people have had problems with the supplied USB cables but until now it was either they worked or they didn't, now I see there may be some that work but not correctly.

That is a lot of work to update or write to your 436 having to remove the batteries and play with the metal cage that holds the SD card.

I am using a 3rd party USB cable and so far it has always worked.

I wonder if Uniden would be interested in having some of these apparently defective USB cables back to examine them to see what is wrong.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't recall what x36HP thread I saw it in but a user was having the same problems with his new x36HP.

I do not recall if it was the mobike or portable version either.
The user noticed the card did not appear to be straight looking when it was in the radios slot.
So he applied a small amount of pressure that made the card look much straighter looking with the socket. He turned the radio on and the card was recognized just fine. He tried again with no pressure and the card was not working again. So he somehow taped it in place and it has been working fine ever since. Or at least up to the time his tape comes loose.
I don't yet own one of these models but after reading that post and seeing all the issues many are having, I'm wondering about the quality of the card slot used by Uniden or this talk of counterfit cards.
Do the radios card slots appear to hold the cards firmly and straight or is there play in the card after it has locked into place?
If there is some play, the contacts on the card may by pushing away from the sockets contacts when the slot closes and locks.
If this is the case, is it the socket that is of a poor design or maybe some cards are a few thousands of an inch thicker than others which would allow them to make a better contact with the radios card slot.
I thought the micro card slots that are spring loaded had a mechanism that pushed the sockets contacts into the card when it locks. If so, the socket should accomadate slightly different card thickness.
I know the adapters that come with some micro sd cards do not have a locking mechanism and rely upon the contacts themselves to apply some pressure. I've seen many where there was so little pressure that the micro sd would just fall right out if you turned the adaptor down so the micro card was hanging from the bottem. Those are the adapters I've had the most issues with when using an external card reader that did not have a micro size slot.
I've also found that a lot of older external readers will not read modern micro sd cards even when using a quality adapter but most moden readers will. I have a bunch of external card readers that do have micro slots but have had troubles with a lot of them. The most common trouble was the fact that the micro card was not detected when inserted. I found that most of those readers worked fine if I put the micro card into the reader before plugging the reader into the computer. Then after more testing, IO found that the micro sd cards stood a much better chance of working and being recognized if I always used the adapter that turned them into fill size SD cards. But only when used with adapters that held the micro size card firmly. The ones that stayed loose to the point they would nearly fall out from their own weight always gave problems for me.
For those cards, they always worked well in both the original HP1 or the PSR800 as both models have card slots that have the spring loaded latching mechanism. My problems appeared to be more related to loose fitting card slots or adapeters in external readers. Once I found a decent reader and micro to regular size adapter, my micro card problems seemed to have gone away.
I don't know what to make of the guy that posted about his card not sitting straight in his new x36HP model thougjh. That one does sound more like a card slot issue in the radio but who knows, that user could have tried inserting the card backwards or forced it in at an angle that bent the socket open more than it should be. I do know the card slot in my original HP1 seems to be built with better quality over the card slot in my PSR800 but they both seem to work just fine with any card I'd put in them.
I've also had something happen to several different makes of micro sd cards where they did not want to format. Once I found a decent card reader and card adapter that took the card back to full size, I was able to use the SD Formatter application and get every one of them formatted and they have all worked without any problems in the HP1 or the PSR800. Something would sure screw them up though where they would not format in either radio or by using Windows format app. I had to use the SD Formatter to bring them all back but I can now format every one of them with Windows or from thee radio itself.

I really hope this is just an issue caused by a cheap card size adapter and/or external reader and not something with the card slot in the new HP models as that would just mean that Uniden would once again need to pull stock and replace card slots.
My money is on the use of cheap size adapters and cheap external readers. I still won't format my micro cards in the readers I have that have those size slots. I always use an adapter up to full size that came with an Sandisk micro card I'd purchased a while back. That combo never gives me any problems but putting the micro card into a micro sized slot in an external reader has given me problems several times.
I never have issues with the micro sd cards in any of my phones.
Maybe micro sd cards are just a poor design in genral?
Too many people making cheap fitting sockets.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Well, the thing here is that every time I plug the scanner in to do an update of the database, it continues to ask me to format the card. Now, I formatted it in the SD formatter, and once I load everything through a card reader, there is no problem. Shut down, come back for the next update, and lo and behold, card is not recognized once again. This is with each and every card I have. I have no idea what this is all about. Windows knows the scanner, because it does say BCD436 or BCD536, but it will not read the card. When I go to computer, the card shows as a removable drive, but does not read content or available space until formatted. I am truly puzzled by this.

Hit_Factor

I bought a Sandisk Pixtor 16gb microSD today, it is rated to 30mb/sec and was $13 at Best Buy.

The scanner boots up noticeably faster and writes from Sentinel are faster.

The scanner mounts and ejects faster on my computer (fast new computer). I always use eject command, this forces delayed writes and guards against file system corruption.

I wasn't having trouble with the class 4 card. But I was pretty sure there was more to be had. The capacity is a non-issue for me, 4gb was plenty.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I know what Kruser is speaking about. The found the SD card was not seated fully into the slot on the scanner and by pressing it in all the way it ended any problems. He put tape over it to keep it in place and has had no further problems.

Also K4DPS in one of his videos specifically states one should place the Micro SD card into an SD card adapter and place it into the computer directly. Do what you need to do on the card and then place the thing back into the scanner.

Trying that might help.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I started a thread a few days back asking for help with this exact same issue. The only thing I can think of it coming close to thinking where the issue could be is not ejecting the SD card properly.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Oh it is in there. This happens with both radios, 536 and 436. It is not an issue of the scanner reading the card it is an issue of not being able to have the scanner plug in and download or upload. All three computers fail to recognize the card's format. Once I get the card loaded through a reader the scanners are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
What frustrates me is I keep losing my recordings because I am unable to download the files back to the computer. At least with the 436HP the scanner still works. I have the same issue on my HP1 only when it happens you can't load the database.

Has anyone had the same issue and resolved it?

Status
Not open for further replies.