x36 Regarding MicroSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I got my 436 today. This is the second time I have had a card get corrupted even though I followed the instructions explicitly. I loaded a 2GB card from my ID51 and it formatted from the scanner with no problem. When I say second time, this happened with my 536. It is now using an 8GB card I bought and formatted from the get go. What gives?

Bowlieweekender

Encryption is Easy - Key Management is Hard
Premium Subscriber
My 536 arrived without any MicroSD card. I've reported it to Uniden telling them I'd just received my unit ordered directly from Uniden and it arrived without the card. I received a reply from tech support asking where I bought the scanner from!?! I replied again "Directly from Uniden" I heard nothing more. Stellar!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Am I going to get an answer to this? I followed the instructions to the letter, and I now have three micro SD cards that cannot be formatted. What gives with this? This seems to be hit or miss, and for a five hundred dollar scanner, that's pretty aggravating. I am running my 436 with a 2GB card which seems to be enough, but still...what gives?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Are your cards being used on a 3.0 USB or 2.0 USB? Some of the newer cards will not format unless you do so through using a adapter for a 2.0 USB.

I had this issue with the micro SD that came with my Samsung S4. I put the card into the adapter and formatted without further issue.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, Regarding MicroSD

No joy. I was able to format the card but when I put in the scanner no good. I noticed also when I turn my 436 on it says it is a 536. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joneil2000

Premium Subscriber
I have been watching this thread, and I wonder if there is not some kind of issue with these memory cards anymore. I use micro SD, Sd and CF cards for radios, cameras, and other devices and in the past year - right across the board - I am finding more and more issues of incompatibility with these cards.

For example, my laptop might read a SD with the built in card reader, but change brands and/or spped, and it will only read the card if a use a new external reader. Sometimes updated drivers work, sometimes not. I also find issues with card reader using USB3 and USB2 ports at times, and lastly, I might have two cameras, same brand, but different models,a nd one will use one type of SD card but not another. Might be just a difference in the brand of card.

Just saying, other forums dealing with other areas that memory cards are used in, you are seeing these issues more and more all the time. I think the issue is bigger than just Uniden

vortex360

I use an 8 gig micro without issue on my 536. Sometimes the card readers go to h*ll and fail. I'd be shocked to go through cards like that though.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, Regarding MicroSD

I use an 8 gig micro without issue on my 536. Sometimes the card readers go to h*ll and fail. I'd be shocked to go through cards like that though.

My 536 has an8 GB card and does well. The 2 GB card came from my 536. That could be why the 436 display says 536. Weird

jackj

There are three different ways your computer can format a memory card.

1. - FAT.
2. - FAT32
3. - NTFS

None of my devices will use a SD or microSD card formatted as NTFS although my computers like them. Cards up to 2 gb should be formatted as FAT, over 2 gb as FAT32. Check to see what file system yours are using.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
No joy. I was able to format the card but when I put in the scanner no good. I noticed also when I turn my 436 on it says it is a 536. Weird.

When I turn on my 436 no mention is made of it being either 436 or 536, however, I suspect you have put an SD card that use to be in your 536 into your 436. I think this message is user changeable, so you can make it read what ever you want?

Unless you have physically something wrong with some of your SD cards (including touching the gold contacts on the SD card or in the case of the 436 touching the gold fingers on the SD card holder) formatting with the recommend program, like Detroit780 recommended and using Sentinel to "erase user data" which supposedly will also write the programs you need and in the correct order onto your SD card, should work if the Brand of SD card is compatible with the x36 radios. Of course, I am also assuming that the radios do not have a malfunction.

My HP-1 seems to work with all three brands of SD cards I have used but the GRE PSR800 is VERY particular which Brand of card will work with it, maybe the new x36 radios have a similar problem?

However, others have reported similar problems so please let us know what seems to work and what does not, since we all may have a problem with our SD cards but do not know it yet.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, Regarding MicroSD

I've been using Sandisk. It seems to be hit or miss and I get a lot of misses lol

XTS3000

UPMan, Regarding MicroSD

If your buying SD memory cards from amazon or eBay, there's a good chance it's counterfeit.

Last year bought a CF card from eBay - counterfeit. Was a slower speed card than advertised and labeled.

Bought a plantronics BT headset from amazon - counterfeit. Returned it and ordered a Plantronics Legend from different amazon seller, which also turned out to be counterfeit.

Had to wait for the CF card and plantronics to go on sale at BestBuy to finally get the real product.

So if your having SD card problems from a card bought online, check into it because it may be counterfeit.

Both Sandisk and Plantronics do not give a rats a$$ about people counterfeiting their products. When called, both manufactures didn't care and told me to return the counterfeit item and buy from a different source. eBay has a nice web page showing real vs. counterfeit memory cards.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, Regarding MicroSD

I got them from Staples. Live and learn.

freqhopping

I now have two useless 8GB cards (one Sony, one SanDisk) after trying to use them in my 436. Both worked perfectly fine prior. I reformatted them then copied the data from card that came with the scanner. Neither would allow the scanner to work. I've attempted to reformat them but SanDisk now only shows a capacity of 30.6MB in the format window and it will not format.

With my Sony, the card reader (slot, not USB) just recognizes that something is inserted and won't access it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I now have two useless 8GB cards (one Sony, one SanDisk) after trying to use them in my 436. Both worked perfectly fine prior. I reformatted them then copied the data from card that came with the scanner. Neither would allow the scanner to work. I've attempted to reformat them but SanDisk now only shows a capacity of 30.6MB in the format window and it will not format.

With my Sony, the card reader (slot, not USB) just recognizes that something is inserted and won't access it.

Interesting. When I put a new card in the 436 and follow the directions, all I get is a new removable drive, but it shows nothing. This is getting stranger and stranger with every post I read. Yet the 2 GB card I stole from my Icom works perfect. Maybe I'll buy another card and format it in my Icom first.

Status
Not open for further replies.