X36 Service Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
I did a few searches to see if this was already talked about and sure it has been brought up in the past. But I could not find it.

So when you create a favorites list, you still need to turn "on" the service types so the scanner will listen for them? While this is a very simple process, when I change and do a location based scan instead of a favorites while on the road, I have to turn off the "business" group as an example or I will receive all of the business freqs/systems in that area.

I would have thought that anything on your favorite list would scan no matter what the service type is set to.

This very well could be a misunderstanding that it is on my part.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

phask

Premium Subscriber
I did a few searches to see if this was already talked about and sure it has been brought up in the past. But I could not find it.

So when you create a favorites list, you still need to turn "on" the service types so the scanner will listen for them? While this is a very simple process, when I change and do a location based scan instead of a favorites while on the road, I have to turn off the "business" group as an example or I will receive all of the business freqs/systems in that area.

I would have thought that anything on your favorite list would scan no matter what the service type is set to.

This very well could be a misunderstanding that it is on my part.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

So when you create a favorites list, you still need to turn "on" the service types so the scanner will listen for them? THIS is correct

JamesO will be along to explain his service type philosophy next :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A little more (and concurring with the previous post)-

Conceivably you could have Favorites Lists created which have certain service types you may wish to monitor in some situations, but not in other situations.

I've got our local public works channels in a Favorites List. I like to listen to them while in the local area. But if I travel and turn the full database on, I don't want to listen to other public works channels. So I shut that service type off when in "travel mode".

CommLt

Feed Provider
I have favorite lists that the service type in the database lists it as one I don't normally listen to. I got into Sentinal and changed it in my favorite list to reflect what is more appropriate for my listening.

i.e. The fire department I listen to has their helicopter frequency listed as service type "Aircraft" technically correct but I changed it to "Fire-Tac" since that is consistent with what they do and the service types I am listening to.

kc2kth

The service feature is quickly becoming my favorite feature of my 436. As others have pointed out, used in combination with favorites it is simple to narrow down the ever growing list of what to monitor. This feature when used correctly can resolve the old headache of trying to figure out what to put in each favorites list, or in the old days banks. Having multiple filtering criteria like this provides moves the hobby forward and can minimize frustration for new scanner users in the opinion of this 30 year radio hobbyist.

teknishun

The service type feature really is a godsend when you are searching the full database.
You can turn off the annoying stuff such as weather, CB radio, and Amateur radio.
These are all very active and they will keep your scanner from scanning since there is
so much activity on them.

I have an outside antenna for my BCD536HP. I punch in my zip code, set the
range to 50, turn off all favorites lists except the full database, and disable
all service types except Law Dispatch (or whatever your interest is).

You'd be amazed at all the new things you can find without having to put up
with all the other garbage.

teknishun KF5OPQ

garys

Premium Subscriber
It took me about an hour to figure out that I didn't have "Emergency Operations" turned on and about half of my Systems wouldn't scan because I use that as a generic service type for systems I create myself.

Once I discovered that all was well.

I think that is a feature that works better when using location control in an area where you don't have FLs set up. It would be nice if there was a way to turn off the service type and let the scanner just scan the FLs and Systems you've created. That said, it's no where near a deal breaker for me.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to use this as a feature (as people have recommended here) instead of a nuisance. Which I suppose it goes back to learning new things. So since that post and replies, my goal has been to try to use this as it was intended.

I hate to admit, it does make things nice when you want to scan something specific. On the flip side it is a pain if you do not remember that something was turned off. All and all it has been a positive feature especially scanning tonight when the radio has been busy.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.