x36 status LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I'd pay Uniden's programmer for the hour it would take to delete the lines in the firmware that make the colored status LED only blink for a few seconds. By the time I turn my head, it's off.

If that LED really eats battery and we can't make it an option, then how about only doing that on the 436, and making it stay on the whole time while the 536 has paused on a channel?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about this as I have not tested it, but it seems the time the LED stays on is related to the time you set the back light for. Mine is set for squelch at 5 seconds, and both the LCD and LED go off at the same time. Perhaps if the squelch option was set longer, the LED would blink longer...but again this is an untested theory.

Greg

Dewey

I have always had my backlight set to infinite, yet my alert lead only lasts somewhere around 2 seconds when triggered as an emergency alert. The only other reason I use the lead is for close call, but I have timed that.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I too would like the LED to be on for a longer amount of time.

Uniden.... can you fix this ?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Regardless of how long you have backlight set, LED only stays lit for about 5 seconds. If possible I would also like an option to allow multiple colors set for the same channel. On my PSR 800 I have Metro PDs set with red and blue flashing LEDS, most Fire Departments with red and white flashing LEDs. Really helps you identify talkgroups at a glance esp when the display is so small.

JamesO

"Programmable Alert LED lets you set a specific color to alert you when a channel becomes active."

I have not tried this feature on my 996xt and I recall this feature has not been enabled for the x36HP.

But on close inspection of the front of my 536HP, I cannot see where this Alert LED is located?

Not near the volume knob like 996xt.

So does anyone know where this mystical LED is located?

Or will be get the row of buttons below the display to change colors and/or blink??

RF23

Premium Subscriber
"Programmable Alert LED lets you set a specific color to alert you when a channel becomes active."

I have not tried this feature on my 996xt and I recall this feature has not been enabled for the x36HP.

But on close inspection of the front of my 536HP, I cannot see where this Alert LED is located?

Or will be get the row of buttons below the display to change colors and/or blink??

It should be a translucent ring around the biggest knob on the scanner (to the left now, but use to be on the right with the 996).

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber

The color LED are around the scroll control knob on the left. 7 different colors.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I often depend on the LED to let me know who is talking. The PRO 106 does an excellent job at it, and you have some control over the exact color / hue of the LED.

5 blinks or so isn't enough. I don't know what Uniden was thinking, but hopefully a FW update will make it longer....possibly even user programmable as to how long it stays on. Please ??

Greg

For the time being my wife has volunteered to flash one of 7 different flash lights for me. :)

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Add me to the folks that wish this light would stay lit for the duration of the transmission

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding is this feature is not working yet on the x36HP units, is this correct?

It should work, at least it does on mine and some of the ones that have made videos.

Have some fun and give a try.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification.

My understanding is this feature is not working yet on the x36HP units, is this correct?

No it's not correct. This discussion was about the light not staying on long enough, so it must be working if it's not staying on long enough right?

Last edited:

JamesO

OK, thanks for confirming the Alert LED is working.

I have not had enough time to play with the 536HP, just plugged in the zip code and played with the Range a bit.

Did update the firmware in the unit and for the wireless dongle and made sure the wireless could connect without too much problem.

Spent more time updating firmware and getting everything set up than playing with the unit yet.

Agree if the LED only stays on for 5 seconds or so, this is not good.

I think it should be like the x96xt back light where you can program a solid or flash sequence and then stay on for the duration of the transmission.

I will see if I can get the Alert LED programmed and working on a few TG/Channels.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Do you know if the alert led activates on an encrypted talkgroup / radio ID?

I've tried that with the backlight alert on my BCD396XT on an encrypted talkgroup but to no avail, the backlight alert does not activates when there is activity on a tagged talkgroup. It seems it takes the presence of audio to activates the visual alert.

I ask this because I have a BCD436HP on its way and am really hoping to be able to get a visual alert that there is activity on some encrypted talkgroups.

Thanks!

-lamarrsy

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
If possible I would also like an option to allow multiple colors set for the same channel. On my PSR 800 I have Metro PDs set with red and blue flashing LEDS, most Fire Departments with red and white flashing LEDs. Really helps you identify talkgroups at a glance esp when the display is so small.

+1

I really like that idea. That shouldn't be something hard to do you wouldn't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.