x36 toggling between serial and mass storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is there a better way of chaning the USB cable from Serial to Mass Storage other than unplugging the cable and plugging it back in?

The scanner has to be in Mass Storage to upload profiles and Favorites Lists, but has to be in Serial to use things like ARC 536 Virtual Control.

Also is simply unplugging the cable the best way of disconnecting the scanner from the computer, or should one do as one does for an SD card (as in "Eject")?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Also is simply unplugging the cable the best way of disconnecting the scanner from the computer, or should one do as one does for an SD card (as in "Eject")?

When in mass storage mode, the scanner behaves like any other storage device, so ejecting or "safely removing" is always wise.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
"Start-up" button doesn't ring any bells with me. Which is it?

I think he means the ON/OFF button. I often use it instead of unplugging the USB cable, so far it seems to work fine.

However, Jay911 is technically correct about "safely remove" before unplugging or turning off but Uniden for some reason does not say we need to do this. My HP-1 has had the USB cable unplugged at least 100 times and so far it seems to be working OK.

With that said ALL of my other electronic gear that use "Cards" warn in usually bold letters to make for sure you "properly unmounts the device from Windows" before removing the USB cable or turning it off.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have been using ARC536 beta and on a couple of occasions while in serial mode, the 536HP all of a sudden changes from Serial to Mass Storage. I have never done what Jay advises above about "safely removing." I think I will do that and see what happens. That said, can't remember that ever happening with my HP1E.

Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.