• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100M and features

merlin

Been messing around a lot with this radio. I use RPM14 for programming.
I have a boatload of issues and questions I would like to cover.
To start, I have features 12 and 29 installed. I have been trying to get this thing to talk provoice on 800 Mhz test frequencies
but either the radio or RPM is not doing it. Except for 'unencrypted' and C4FM. everything else is greyed out.
The unencrypted mode is not encoding provoice. No option to select vocoder either. these are P25 conventional channels.
The other test radio will talk to the XG but noise talking to the test radio. Anyone know whats up with this ??

merlin

MORE:
After a couple hours getting a P25 system into this radio, I am trying to log the site data with terminal.
All that is logged is the system ID.
It looks like a programmer must have full access with licensed AAC. The AAC panel does not show any current sites/systems and can't find the control to get full access. (it is not passworded)
Any help here would be hot.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I have two 100Ms and neither of them do ProVoice. I’m pretty sure Unity radios don’t do digital voice aside from P25. If they did, a conventional analog set would be your starting point. You would select ProVoice under voice mode.

P25 is P25 and has nothing at all to do with ‘Digital Voice’.

-B

merlin

For one, you can't use the P25 Frequency Set to program ProVoice channels. You have to use the Conventional Frequency Set for ProVoice.

I have a conventional frequency set and a P25 conventional set. The P25 C is close as stated above. one way.
Obviously P25 trunking is C4FM

merlin

I have two 100Ms and neither of them do ProVoice. I’m pretty sure Unity radios don’t do digital voice aside from P25. If they did, a conventional analog set would be your starting point. You would select ProVoice under voice mode.

P25 is P25 and has nothing at all to do with ‘Digital Voice’.

-B
I have 3 test radios that all talk provoice fine. I tried like settings with the UNITY
and best it does is receive the test radios. Just the digital noise receiving the unity.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
P25C is C4FM too… Phase I can be C4FM or CQPSK. Phase II subscribers modulate H-CPM.

What test radios do you have?

Are you trying to setup an EDACS system? The Unity radios do not support conventional ProVoice like older radios do. I have seven P7100s that will do ProVoice in a conventional analog set, but the Unity will only do ProVoice in conjunction with EDACS. It talks about this in the RPM help docs “Unity XG-100 radios are automatically set to “none”.” (This is talking about the ‘voice mode’ drop-down in a conventional set.)

Also notice in your system setup for a conventional set that all ‘Private Options’ such as Vocoder selection and Key Bank are greyed out.

Still not sure what you are trying to do… I get that you want the radios to talk, but why ProVoice? Why not encrypted P25C? I really don’t think the Unity will do what you want, but since I’m not sure what that is, I could easily be mistaken…

Good luck!

-Brian

merlin

OK, I skipped much of the EDACS info, so that is what I have to go back to.
I thought it odd the XG wouldn't do provoice with that feature installed.
My bench test radios are LPE200, Jaguar 700P and P7100.
My 800 Mhz test is its own system, so guess I will delete that and start again with EDACS.
I also started loading the local ICAWIN site but have much to do, and this Harris is very different
from my Motorola.
Well, back to reading the help file.
TNX

merlin

P25 p1 system, just how many talkgroups can I get into a band plan.
Can I break TGs into agencies like Moto ?
How many instances of custom scan groups am I limited to.
TNX

merlin

OK, so what the F%&k---I was certain TX/RX freq offset was up 45 Mhz.
RPM gripes with that

Attachments

• Screenshot (883).png
    Screenshot (883).png
    140.5 KB · Views: 34

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Ya… control channels only. It still should allow voice channels but it’ll only slow down a cc scan/band hunt. Also, the direction of the offset should be pretty easy to remember given the RX freq. if it’s in the 700s, it’s likely a positive offset and if it’s in the 800s, it’s likely a negative offset. Not always, but our system is -45 and +30, and it becomes fairly intuitive to program after you get going.

P25 p1 system, just how many talkgroups can I get into a band plan.
Can I break TGs into agencies like Moto ?
How many instances of custom scan groups am I limited to.
TNX
You mean how many TGs in a group set? I have 127 in mine and it’s just fine. I think more than that causes unmuting issues. Each system is assigned a group set so perhaps if you wanted to split by agency, you would duplicate a system and assign different group sets? Then create a custom scan list that scans across systems?

You can have a pretty extensive custom scan list, but remember that the more conventional channels that you add to the custom list, the more traffic you will miss. It’s recommended to keep the conventional channels under eight. With trunked TGs, I have no problem adding a bunch to a custom list, as long as I keep conventional channels to a minimum. You can scan across multiple trunked sites/systems as long as the WACN etc. are all the same for all the systems in the list.

I don’t separate by agency. With my XL200P, I do color code the top LCD by agency so law is blue, state patrol is cyan, forest service is green, DOT is orange, DOC is yellow, fire is red, MACs are magenta, and everything else is white.

-B

merlin

Ya… control channels only. It still should allow voice channels but it’ll only slow down a cc scan/band hunt. Also, the direction of the offset should be pretty easy to remember given the RX freq. if it’s in the 700s, it’s likely a positive offset and if it’s in the 800s, it’s likely a negative offset. Not always, but our system is -45 and +30, and it becomes fairly intuitive to program after you get going.

You mean how many TGs in a group set? I have 127 in mine and it’s just fine. I think more than that causes unmuting issues. Each system is assigned a group set so perhaps if you wanted to split by agency, you would duplicate a system and assign different group sets? Then create a custom scan list that scans across systems?

You can have a pretty extensive custom scan list, but remember that the more conventional channels that you add to the custom list, the more traffic you will miss. It’s recommended to keep the conventional channels under eight. With trunked TGs, I have no problem adding a bunch to a custom list, as long as I keep conventional channels to a minimum. You can scan across multiple trunked sites/systems as long as the WACN etc. are all the same for all the systems in the list.

I don’t separate by agency. With my XL200P, I do color code the top LCD by agency so law is blue, state patrol is cyan, forest service is green, DOT is orange, DOC is yellow, fire is red, MACs are magenta, and everything else is white.

-B
OK, I got this resolved just using control channels in the system setup.
The CH-721 is not in color, but got my agencies listed in their own system.
The scan has to be on within a system to catch all the talkgroups but working acceptably.
I'm still in Motorola mentality so tossed all that.
TNX

prcguy

OK, I got this resolved just using control channels in the system setup.
The CH-721 is not in color, but got my agencies listed in their own system.
The scan has to be on within a system to catch all the talkgroups but working acceptably.
I'm still in Motorola mentality so tossed all that.
TNX
So does this mean your not going to sell the radios cheap?

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
For the love of the the radio gods the XG100M supports the following.

Digital Voice

P25 conventional. P25 Phase 1 Trunking, P25 Phase 2 Trunking each requires a specific feature code. The radio supports these in either the CH100 Touchscrren, CH721 or CH731 HHCH configuration. The radio also supports DES and AES encryption and ARC40 (ADP)

ONLY with the CH721 or CH731 will the radio ADDITIONALLY support legacy EDACS, PROVICE (proprietary IMBE vocoder) or very old school VGE digital voice encryption over analog). If you use the CH100 control head you LOSE EDACS and PROVOICE.

THERE ARE NO OTHER COMPETITOR DIGITAL VOICE STANDARDS SUPPORTED
- NONE NADDA ZIP. NO NXDN, NO ETSI DMR, NO ANALOG Trunking.

NO the radio does not support OPENSKY

Further, the XG100P (legacy, ancient and discontinued) has NOTHING in common with the XG100M (still current for specific contracts) other than a slightly similar GUI interface. The radios share ZERO HARDWARE.

prcguy

Further, the XG100P (legacy, ancient and discontinued) has NOTHING in common with the XG100M (still current for specific contracts) other than a slightly similar GUI interface. The radios share ZERO HARDWARE.
So what other radio, current or discontinued can compete with the XG-100P for the price? Like the XG-100P can be had for about a grand or less with all bands, P25, PII, trunking, encryption and so on. The cheapest used competing radio I see is 3X more.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
So what other radio, current or discontinued can compete with the XG-100P for the price? Like the XG-100P can be had for about a grand or less with all bands, P25, PII, trunking, encryption and so on. The cheapest used competing radio I see is 3X more.
None really, but that’s not apco’s point I don’t think. I agree it’s a great feature set for the price and if you can find an unadulterated example, the 100P is a fantastic piece of kit! The one I have works perfectly, with none of the button problems, resetting problems, or any other ‘common’ issues. I especially like your setup with the external PA!

I have a 200P now and while I’m happy to have it for a variety of real-world business and public safety reasons, the 100P would still get the job done…

-B

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I just acquired an XG-100M and it will soon have a feature set that lacks nothing. (Except features that really are of no use or interest.) It's been fun to start exploring this beast. It has all bands enabled including VHF low band. Should be fun.

TDR-94

I just acquired an XG-100M and it will soon have a feature set that lacks nothing. (Except features that really are of no use or interest.) It's been fun to start exploring this beast. It has all bands enabled including VHF low band. Should be fun.

TDR-94

Do you also have the correct control head to be able to utilize all the available features?