• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100M front panel programming question

mancow

Database Admin
I'm new to the XG100-M platform. I've been playing around a bit with the front panel programming. Does anyone know if you can program more than one channel? It seems to only allow one and sets the display text as CUSTOM.

Also, I noticed it will allow freqs from 30-50 via front panel and is not locked to the 33-48 range. What's up with that? I would like to add a few more below 33 to monitor military skip and other stuff down there.

prcguy

I'm new to the XG100-M platform. I've been playing around a bit with the front panel programming. Does anyone know if you can program more than one channel? It seems to only allow one and sets the display text as CUSTOM.

Also, I noticed it will allow freqs from 30-50 via front panel and is not locked to the 33-48 range. What's up with that? I would like to add a few more below 33 to monitor military skip and other stuff down there.
If its like the XG-100P you can modify any channel via FPP. I just program several spare channels in each zone and use those for custom programming. Do I need to get me one of those radios?

Last edited by a moderator:

mancow

Database Admin
If its like the XG-100P you can modify any channel via FPP. I just program several spare channels in each zone and use those for custom programming. Do I need to get me one of those radios?
I'm not doing something correctly then. When I tried to edit more than one channel the first remained but the rest defaulted to what they were programmed as.

merlin

I can't seem to get that to work. It goes through all the motions,
but say I edit an RX frequency, there is nothing there, then times out and back to the programmed frequency.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
You have to use the right number of digits. 45306250. If you leave off a digit, you will be at 45MHz instead, or depending on the frequency, just plain out of band. The CH100 does this differently, but with the 721/731, you’re essentially entering the frequency without a decimal point, which is added later. That’s usually why a frequency won’t program!

-B

TDR-94

I'm not doing something correctly then. When I tried to edit more than one channel the first remained but the rest defaulted to what they were programmed as.
That's how Channel Edit has worked with the L3HARRIS radios since the beginning. You can only edit a single channel. Once you go to edit another channel the previous channel reverts to it's default programming, as set in RPM.

FPP on these radios is not the same as with other types of radios.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
That's how Channel Edit has worked with the L3HARRIS radios since the beginning. You can only edit a single channel. Once you go to edit another channel the previous channel reverts to it's default programming, as set in RPM.

FPP on these radios is not the same as with other types of radios.
Ya… the CH100 doesn’t work this way, but the other mobiles do. I usually program everything up and then add a channel called “custom” and then just edit that channel. Sometimes I’ll do a “custom NB”, “custom WB”, and “custom P25” since you can’t change channel BW or mod from the panel.

-B

mancow

Database Admin
The 100P doesn't have this restriction and I can edit any channel that is conventional type. That's why I was confused. I assumed they would operate the same.

I wish it would accept the full 30-50 via RPM. It's strange it accepts 30-33 and 48-50 via FPP but not RPM. I wonder if there's a way to mod it to accept the additional range. It's a real drag not being able to program in stuff below 33 where much of the military traffic is.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
The 100P doesn't have this restriction and I can edit any channel that is conventional type. That's why I was confused. I assumed they would operate the same.

I wish it would accept the full 30-50 via RPM. It's strange it accepts 30-33 and 48-50 via FPP but not RPM. I wonder if there's a way to mod it to accept the additional range. It's a real drag not being able to program in stuff below 33 where much of the military traffic is.
The 100P and the CH100 (and XL) are a totally different beast than a 721. I’m not aware of any band modification files for 100M.

-B

mancow

Database Admin
The 100P and the CH100 (and XL) are a totally different beast than a 721. I’m not aware of any band modification files for 100M.

-B

Isn't the CH100 and 721 just a head though? I figured the core operation would be the same with only control head behavior being different.

mancow

Database Admin
Ya… the CH100 doesn’t work this way, but the other mobiles do. I usually program everything up and then add a channel called “custom” and then just edit that channel. Sometimes I’ll do a “custom NB”, “custom WB”, and “custom P25” since you can’t change channel BW or mod from the panel.

-B
Are you saying that if I put a CH100 head on it I could FPP more than one channel?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Are you saying that if I put a CH100 head on it I could FPP more than one channel?
Yes, you could alter multiple programmed channels. The CH100 is like adding a second computer to control the main computer. You can have multiple mission plans just like the 100P and you get other Unity features like situational awareness, Bluetooth, USB programming etc. Unfortunately, a remote mount CH100 is usually a grand plus these days, if you can find one…

-B

merlin

You have to use the right number of digits. 45306250. If you leave off a digit, you will be at 45MHz instead, or depending on the frequency, just plain out of band. The CH100 does this differently, but with the 721/731, you’re essentially entering the frequency without a decimal point, which is added later. That’s usually why a frequency won’t program!

-B
Yea, I enter the right number of digits, but that makes no difference. IE: low band I enter 4675000.
Well within the band. I tried 15000000 also, and no joy. Even if I walk through TXf, TXCG, RXf, RXCG
nothing latches and just reverts to programmed channels.
I have an M7100 that behaves the exact same way.
Supposedly, the XG-100M this method lets low band receive down to 30 Mhz.
Using terminal, I can make this transmit on any 'in band' frequency, but don't have the commands for receiving.

merlin

Yes, you could alter multiple programmed channels. The CH100 is like adding a second computer to control the main computer. You can have multiple mission plans just like the 100P and you get other Unity features like situational awareness, Bluetooth, USB programming etc. Unfortunately, a remote mount CH100 is usually a grand plus these days, if you can find one…

-B
I won't be getting a CH-100 anytime soon but would really love that sit aware display.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I won't be getting a CH-100 anytime soon but would really love that sit aware display.
Ya, SA is such a cool feature for Harris radios! You check one single box on the channel options and you get SA! And it can be for any channel type, analog, P25, simplex, repeated, whatever. It’s SO easy and it works great between all my Unity and XL series radios.

I’m not sure what to tell you with the channel frequency entry. It’s always works for me, but I’m usually using the 731 handheld control. I always enter the frequency and then press menu and it saves it.

-B

merlin

If only there was some decent level of documentation covering this.
If it is out there in the wild, I haven't found it.
The GPS is fun to play with, my station clock !

mancow

Database Admin
Ya, SA is such a cool feature for Harris radios! You check one single box on the channel options and you get SA! And it can be for any channel type, analog, P25, simplex, repeated, whatever. It’s SO easy and it works great between all my Unity and XL series radios.

I’m not sure what to tell you with the channel frequency entry. It’s always works for me, but I’m usually using the 731 handheld control. I always enter the frequency and then press menu and it saves it.

-B
Does the HHCH allow more FPP channels, similar to the Ch100?

If so, I might go that route.

merlin

I would think FPP would cover any conventional channels in the radio.. I found FPP doesnt work with P25 conventional or P25 trunked with the CH 721 head. Don't know about the 731 or 100 though.
Looking into a CH-731 to see if that will fix my issue.

merlin

OK, my bad. In programmable menus, I didn't have 'FREQEDIT' selected for trunked systems.
It is the 'SA' tic box that never shows with CH-721 head.