• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100P keeps dropping and reacquiring control channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Unity XG-100P. On a couple of P25 systems, it will drop the control channel every few seconds; I get the message "CTRL CHANNEL SCAN" at the bottom of the display. This lasts for a second or two, then it will find the control channel again and operate normally for ten seconds or so, then repeat. The system in question is strong, -80 db or so. But the RSSI will drop to -130 until the control channel is found again. Any particular settings I should check? It only behaves this way on a couple of systems, not all of them.

Also: Any way to have the RSSI indicator come on on power up?

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
When I bought mine from Rick Thompson on eBay awhile back, I believe he mentioned it was aligned by him. I do not know if he offers it as a service, but I would suspect most Harris radios have not been aligned since they left the factory to go to their agencies. It is way past time for it to be done though. I think the procedure is spelled out in the manual but IIRC, you can go into the service mode and adjust the Ref Osc from the front panel. (Utilities -> TXCO Tuning, my password was 00000)

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
One other issue I forgot to mention on the XG-100P is, when you press the "CH INFO" button, it's supposed to show you, in the case of a trunked system, the current control channel (among other info). Frequently, the listed control channel is wrong; anyone else noted this issue?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The only time that I have seen wrong channel info is when the IDEN tables have been wrong or if the radio is in CC or BAND SCAN.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It depends on how the math works out. The IDEN tables can be wrong and work for some frequencies, but not others.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
It depends on how the math works out. The IDEN tables can be wrong and work for some frequencies, but not others.
I confirmed the IDEN tables using PRO96COM.

BTW, is there anyone anywhere who can tune and align the XG-100P?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can easily check the TCXO with a frequency counter. If it is way off, you can adjust it.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Some service monitors also have the option to auto tune an XG-100P.
Would you happen to know some examples? I know a few people in the two way radio business. A couple of them also own XG-100P's, but they claim special software is needed. Also, they claim the TCXO adjustment and tuning/aligning are different things.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would you happen to know some examples? I know a few people in the two way radio business. A couple of them also own XG-100P's, but they claim special software is needed. Also, they claim the TCXO adjustment and tuning/aligning are different things.

Viavi 8800sx will autotest the Harris XL and XG series. It's a licensed feature in the test set, so it's something that has to be added. A radio shop that carried Harris radios would likely have it.

The Astronic Freedom service monitors will do it also.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
TCXO and alignment are different things, but if the TCXO is off frequency, it will never work correctly.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We have XG100M, XG100P and CS7000s that will lock up talkgroups due to the TCXO being off frequency. The system will not register a dekey and will think that the offending radio is still keyed up. Then other users will get a busy bonk. I have seen these radios as far off as 5kHz off frequency. Adjusting the TCXO brought them into spec every time.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Viavi 8800sx will autotest the Harris XL and XG series. It's a licensed feature in the test set, so it's something that has to be added. A radio shop that carried Harris radios would likely have it.

No joy on the Viavi 8800 for the XG100P. We've got one and the XG100P isn't included in the auto-tune set (at least, not so far). I'm not expecting it to be added since the radio is nearing end of support. Works fine for the other XL and XG radios, though.

TDR-94

No joy on the Viavi 8800 for the XG100P. We've got one and the XG100P isn't included in the auto-tune set (at least, not so far). I'm not expecting it to be added since the radio is nearing end of support. Works fine for the other XL and XG radios, though.

Unless something changed, support for the XG-100P ended 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.