• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XL-200M Network Capabilities

rkumetz

I noticed that the XL-200M control head is connected to the radio body via ethernet.

This leads me to a few questions:

Can it be set up on an existing ethernet network and run that way? eg: with the control head in one room and the radio elsewhere for example?

If so, is there any relatively low cost (this is Harris after all....) PC based console program that will run it that remotely via ethernet? Similar to the
Telex C-soft perhaps.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I noticed that the XL-200M control head is connected to the radio body via ethernet.

Can it be set up on an existing ethernet network and run that way? eg: with the control head in one room and the radio elsewhere for example?

If so, is there any relatively low cost (this is Harris after all....) PC based console program that will run it that remotely via ethernet? Similar to the
Telex C-soft perhaps.

Is it Ethernet or just using RJ-45’s?

rkumetz

I have not tried it yet but I read that it will work through an ethernet hub.
It does work standard Ethernet cables though. The original cable I got from Harris was bad so I used a
generic CAT-5 cable and it works fine.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
It is IP based. The control heads and MRU have IP addresses… I don’t know how large of a LAN it will tolerate.

-B

rkumetz

Interesting. When you have multiple control heads I assume they have different IP addresses. Where do you configure the whole thing as a system to talk to multiple heads or if there is more than one radio on the network to have them talk to the correct ones?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber

Telex C-soft perhaps.
You will not find anything affordable and afaik the radio doesn’t have any console support like DFSI, CSSI, or ISSI… My Tait TB9100 has DFSI support and after calling around to over half a dozen console developers, I stopped asking. The least expensive option with the features I wanted was over $10K and most required a lab annual service contract on top of that… this was for a single dispatch seat.

-B

rkumetz

I suspected as much. For $10K you can buy a new Kenwood P25 radio, a Telex IP-224 and a C-Soft seat.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Right… With C-Soft, DFSI is an optional add-on and encryption also costs extra, but it is on the more affordable side!

-B

sbk1982

You can use an ethernet switch to connect multiple control heads. The MRU acts as the DHCP for the control heads if I remember correctly. I believe you're limited to 6 control heads in a network config? It's been a while since I've read up on it.