Xmas Gift Uniden Base Mobile BCD 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhendrickson

Hello I received the above as a Xmas Gift, digital/analog/Trunking. I've programmed it with all my conventional frequencies covering Madison, Delaware, Chenango, some Cortland, Otsego, Oneida Counties, NY. No problem here. The only Trunking System close to me and I was informed was up and running to some extent I is in the county I live in, Madison County, New York. I've attempted to program this particular trunking system 3 times but get confused by everything. I've read and re-read the Uniden Manual but do not understand much. Is anyone interested in helping me, my newness is showing through? You can email me at jhendrickson@colgate.edu and if you email me go to the Madison County pages in RadioReference.com and check it out first and if you write then we can begin helping me understand what someone else has mastered. Thank you. Jeff Hendrickson

captclint

Mentor
Hello I received the above as a Xmas Gift, digital/analog/Trunking. I've programmed it with all my conventional frequencies The only Trunking System close to me and I was informed was up and running to some extent I is in the county I live in, Madison County, New York. I've attempted to program this particular trunking system 3 times but get confused by everything. I've read and re-read the Uniden Manual but do not understand much.
Welcome to RR. Perhaps this step by step info will help: Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual Select To Create a new P25 System Under creating sites, pick the one closest to you here: Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) (I am assuming this is the system to which you refer. If not, tell us which one).

Then enter only the red and blue frequencies(without the a/c suffix) for the site you have picked under edit Site Then create 1 group. You can leave out the step: Manually Programming Channel Frequencies/TGIDs for now. You should be able to scan the system now, and you should see IDsearch flashing as it is scanning. This will allow you to hear ALL talk groups that are active. Later, you can go back and enter only the ones you want, and change it to IDscan. If for some reason, it says ID scan, To toggle between ID Scan or ID Search mode while scanning each trunked system, press Function/scroll control then Scan/Srch.

The other possibility is to get the free software FreeSCAN, and a USB converter cable so you can download the entire system or other things directly from this site. I find the software helps to set things up correctly, and also helps you understand more of your scanner functions.

Last edited:

N8IAA

The only Trunking System close to me and I was informed was up and running to some extent I is in the county I live in, Madison County, New York. I've attempted to program this particular trunking system 3 times but get confused by everything. I've read and re-read the Uniden Manual but do not understand much. Is anyone interested in helping me, my newness is showing through? Jeff Hendrickson

Jeff, I'll try to help. I'm guessing that when you got your membership here on RR, you chose programming software to help you download the frequencies into the scanner. I hope that you chose FreeScan. That is what I use to program my 396XT.
My guess is that you imported the Madison county tower site and the TGID's for the other cities and counties listed under the system. It is possible that the TGID's are not affiliated with the Madison frequencies. When you've imported the trunked system, did you select P-25 standard for the system? Do you, when you press hold on the Quick Key for the system, on one of the CC's it should some numbers and other stuff on the top line. That is the way you know you are receiving the tower. I'll let you answer and go from there.
HTH,
Larry

jhendrickson

Thank You

Thank you for replying, I have not been on scanner since I wrote, busy with work, snow, wood furnace, upstate New York. But I attempted programming by hand to begin with and avoiding the downloading way. From another reply suggesting that I buy a Manual from "Scanner Master" I thought I would go that route first to learn the lingo and the functions of programming Trunking. I'm having a hard time understanding such as Quick Keys, terminology, etc. and their places in the systems. I'll keep you "posted". Thanks again. Jeff

jhendrickson

Welcome to RR. Perhaps this step by step info will help: Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual Select To Create a new P25 System Under creating sites, pick the one closest to you here: Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) (I am assuming this is the system to which you refer. If not, tell us which one).

Then enter only the red and blue frequencies(without the a/c suffix) for the site you have picked under edit Site Then create 1 group. You can leave out the step: Manually Programming Channel Frequencies/TGIDs for now. You should be able to scan the system now, and you should see IDsearch flashing as it is scanning. This will allow you to hear ALL talk groups that are active. Later, you can go back and enter only the ones you want, and change it to IDscan. If for some reason, it says ID scan, To toggle between ID Scan or ID Search mode while scanning each trunked system, press Function/scroll control then Scan/Srch.

The other possibility is to get the free software FreeSCAN, and a USB converter cable so you can download the entire system or other things directly from this site. I find the software helps to set things up correctly, and also helps you understand more of your scanner functions.
Good Morning Clint, thank you for responding. Have not had time to get back on scanner but I'm going to follow your advice this weekend. In the meantime I'm ordering the BCD996XT Scanner Manual today--yes something easier to read is needed here for me. And I'm going to try hand inputing the way you suggested, and it is the Central New York Interoperable Trunking System I want to input--it covers 4 counties and I'm interested in Madison County. I see you mention the frequencies in Red and Blue to input. Madison County shows a Red then some in black but none in Blue, so do I still input the Red only? Thank you again. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.