XP Connect to Home Network but not to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,
I have a XP Desktop for gaming with dual monitors (not one I want to get rid of), and a 1T hard drive hooked up to the Router for all the computers on the network to access.
Now that Windows is no longer supporting XP and the threat is great for hackers and what not, I want to leave the desktop connected to the home network to be able to access the disk drive and use it keyboard/mouse via Input director, but I want no communication with the internet. I know there has got to be a way to do this.
If anyone has any suggestions or idea's please let me know. Thanks in advance.

cabletech

Just because your computer is connected to a network that has internet available does NOT mean that that computer is automatical ON the net.

However, if you are doing gaming, then that means you ARE on the internet.

SO.....what do you wish to do? Stay off the net, or stop your gaming?

VERY SIMPLE

frazpo

Just because your computer is connected to a network that has internet available does NOT mean that that computer is automatical ON the net.

However, if you are doing gaming, then that means you ARE on the internet.

SO.....what do you wish to do? Stay off the net, or stop your gaming?

VERY SIMPLE

Depending on the game or options he doesn't have to be on the net to game.

You should have settings in your router that can disable internet access. If you cannot find it please post brand and model of router.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That router (and most others these days) should have a web interface you can use to set up rules for that particular PC's MAC Address. You should be able to set it up so that machine cannot access the internet at all. I have a netgear router too (it might be this model, not sure) and it's very easy to do on that router.

Here's a post I found on Netgear's own support forum that may prove helpful also: NETGEAR Forums - View Single Post - Blocking Childs computer during night time hours

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.