• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR-2500 (UHF) Faceplate/Anetnna

Miller1562

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone!

I'm rather new to the Radio/Scanner world, so please forgive my ignorance! I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer. This is regarding a Motorola XPR-2500 UHF Version. I have a Troyproducts center console with plenty of space in it right now. I need some assistance in locating a faceplate & antenna for my radio. As far as I'm aware, Jottodesk & Troyproducts faceplates are both interchangeable (Please correct me if I'm wrong!!). Please note: I have never installed a radio, scanner, or faceplate into a center console before. I assume they attach a faceplate to the radio, and the faceplate suspends the radio above the floor of the console.

Question #1

I am currently unable to find a faceplate that includes my model number in the compatibility section. I can only find faceplates with similar dimensions. Ex:

XPR2500 Radio - Dimensions: (XX): 1.730 H x 6.670 W x 4.6 D
Similar Faceplate Dimensions: (#1): 2.071 H x 6.935 W x 4.7 D (3 Inch)
Similar Faceplate Dimensions: (#2): 1.790 H x 6.680 W x 5.0 D (2 Inch)

I am under the impression that faceplate #2 would work with my radio. The dimensions are extremely close. I am only cautious about the depth because I am not quite sure how much leeway I would have, nor do I understand how depth works regarding faceplates/radios. Would I be correct that Faceplate #2 is the correct one to purchase?

Question #2:

This is about the possibilities of listening to UHF Frequencies, and what antenna/mounting option I would need. I don't know much about line-of-sight/repeaters/transmitters/towers, so please bear with me. I currently have 2 lip mounts + low profile antennas for other things right now as well. I prefer not to drill or use magnetic mounts, but I will if I have to.

1. Would it be possible to listen 12 miles away from work in my vehicle with UHF? (What kind of antenna/mounting option would I need?)
2. Would it be possible to listen 52 miles away from work in my vehicle with UHF? (What kind of antenna/mounting option would I need?)

Thank you for reading. I apologize if I sound like an idiot or if these are stupid questions. I appreciate your help, and thanks in advance for your response!

mrweather

Can't help you with Question #1 but for Question #2, there are a lot of variables to consider. 12 miles mobile-to-base on UHF over flat terrain with no obstructions can work. 52 miles almost certainly won't work without some sort of repeater.