• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 6350 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcoughlin

Correct Kevin,

I bought it from the dealer, apparently they were not supposed to sell it. I was supposed to purchase it from Motorola. Regardless I paid for a copy, it was created and sold by Motorola, its a valid DVD. They are giving me a run around on who is going to support it. I feel, regardless of who I purchased it from, a licensed dealer or the "factory" I should get the same support. Being that I have only had this software since the 3 of Sept. Moto told me to re purchase it from them and they will support it. They also gave me an option wait 1 to 2 weeks and it will be available to get on DVD.

Now I am not mad at my dealer, I just want to bring everything in house and not rely on a 3rd party to maintain my radios. The original dealer we purchased the 43 radio's and repeater from is now not in business. Thus one of my reasons to bring in house. I will still purchase new equipment from the dealer should they be in business in the future when we are ready to purchase again.

Its a long frustrating journey to get this far.

All i want to do is update my firmware and get my radios re programmed for our current needs.

At least I was able to catch one of my channels. I was not compliant and corrected for the 12.5 re-banding.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Correct Kevin,

I bought it from the dealer, apparently they were not supposed to sell it. I was supposed to purchase it from Motorola. Regardless I paid for a copy, it was created and sold by Motorola, its a valid DVD. They are giving me a run around on who is going to support it. I feel, regardless of who I purchased it from, a licensed dealer or the "factory" I should get the same support. Being that I have only had this software since the 3 of Sept. Moto told me to re purchase it from them and they will support it. They also gave me an option wait 1 to 2 weeks and it will be available to get on DVD.

Now I am not mad at my dealer, I just want to bring everything in house and not rely on a 3rd party to maintain my radios. The original dealer we purchased the 43 radio's and repeater from is now not in business. Thus one of my reasons to bring in house. I will still purchase new equipment from the dealer should they be in business in the future when we are ready to purchase again.

All i want to do is update my firmware and get my radios re programmed for our current needs.

At least I was able to catch one of my channels. I was not compliant and corrected for the 12.5 re-banding.

I would ask the "dealer" for a refund since they weren't allowed to sell it.

rcoughlin

I wish it was that simple!

I work for a management company that is runs the day to day operations of a county owned facility, this purchase along with other parts and pieces was paid for by county money. Attempting to get a refund is even more long and drawn out process, and this could potentially become a legal issue. I want to avoid that, its costly for all parties involved.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I wish it was that simple!

I work for a management company that is runs the day to day operations of a county owned facility, this purchase along with other parts and pieces was paid for by county money. Attempting to get a refund is even more long and drawn out process, and this could potentially become a legal issue. I want to avoid that, its costly for all parties involved.

Understood, then you really have no choice but to legally purchase the software again from Motorola. When legally purchased you get support and updates for a period of time.

JRayfield

It was a violation of their dealer agreement with Motorola and a violation of federal law for them to sell you that software. Motorola does now allow for the 'resale' of software. The dealer had no legal right to resell it and any Motorola dealer will know that (or should know that).

If the dealer was willing to 'sell' you the software, then it would not have been any problem for them to help you to get set up with Motorola for an account, whereby you could have purchased it directly from Motorola. When CPS software is purchased from Motorola, then the purchaser is given a 3 year license during which you get all updates at no additional cost.

As it is now, the dealer will be the one that is 'registered' as the 'owner' of that software. So, I'm not sure as to how you'll even get updates on DVD since the dealer is no longer in business.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Correct Kevin,

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Also as a note nobody has touched on yet, the latest CPS version does not support the Windows XP platform.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Nobody said you couldn't use it on XP. It's just that it's not supported on XP anymore.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Really? OK. My first attempt to upgrade to ten dot whatever on my XP machine it gave me fits (and that's not reading or writing, just opening an archive and cruising around the CPS) . That's when I read the fine print it was for windows 7 and above. Just reloaded it to my 8.1 laptop and its been smooth sailing. I don't know if something went wrong the first time or something I did but have not gone back to revisit the issue as the new computer works just fine.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It means you're on you're own with regards to deciding whether or not you want to run it on an XP machine. That is, it may or may not work and no tech support is available if it doesn't. FWIW, I've not had any problem running 10.7 on several different XP machines.

N4KVE

It means you're on you're own with regards to deciding whether or not you want to run it on an XP machine. That is, it may or may not work and no tech support is available if it doesn't. FWIW, I've not had any problem running 10.7 on several different XP machines.
OK, I understand. Thanks.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
rcoughlin has chastised me for derailing the thread, however since I had problems upgrading TRBO CPS on my XP laptop and there was no mention of OS in the thread I thought it might be relevant to the OP as far as the problems he was having. Glad to see everyone has had good luck in that regard and maybe it was a quirk on my end for whatever reason. Would I try and install APX CPS on my win 98 laptop? Don't think I'll even waste the time...

com501

The problem with loading newer OS on windows XP or older, 1) the relative size of the program, 2) the need for newer flash or .net and/or C++ versions that are not supported in XP, and in the case of APX, if you are the rare person that has a DVD drive for your XP laptop, good luck on loading the software, you may not have enough RAM or HD space. Just be patient, it may take 2 or more hours to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.