• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 6530 CPS (Too new?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Hey gang,

I’m attempting to add in some interop frequencies to a local PD’s ancient XPR 6530 radios. After needing to collaborate with them at a regional COVID event we discovered they didn’t have a single UTAC frequency in their radios.

I programmed their 7530 radios no problem but the 6530 I got error 101005 after trying to read the radios. I’m using CPS 2.0 which I’m assuming must be too new, but maybe it is something else. I believe I have an older version of CPS on one of my other laptops, but it might be at best a couple versions behind 2.0. Also for those who are wondering I work for the EMA and I’m just adding the interop frequencies as a good will gesture (for free). I think they have about 6 more radios I need to program.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
KN4EHX

toolman60

I do not think CPS2.0 supports the old 6000 series radios. I would say give CPS 16 a try if you have that.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I’ll check my older CPS. I’m hopeful, but not certain if I go back that far.

Thanks for the help gents.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
you need CPS 16 build 828 is the last version for older gen 1 trbo radios. If you have a MOL subscription for software you should have access to it.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Just to follow up with everyone I discovered my old laptop still has CPS 16.0 on it so that should do the trick. I appreciate everyone who helped. RR is truly a treasure trove of knowledge.

PACNWDude

CPS2.0 will work on XPR6xxx radios if the firmware is new enough. However, CPS16 is much easier to use, less flakey in every aspect (read/write, RAS Key, finding specific settings), and still has something that resembles "expert mode" instead of green icons in a dumbed down looking program.

Currently programming XPR6350's and XPR6550's with Firmware R01.12.17 with either CPS 16 (Build 823) or CPS 2.0 (2.24.200.0).

The only issue I have with CPS 16 and XPR6xxx radios is that if you use MDC ID signaling, you will have to place the decimal value in the hex box in CPS, and then do the same in Provisioning Manager software for aliasing to make aliases and ID's work properly.

All versions of CPS2.0 have hex issues with MDC ID as well, just different problems that Motorola seems to correct one thing and break another in each release.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
They are programmed and up to snuff with the required interop frequencies now. Going between CPS 2.0 and 16 really made me miss 16. In my opinion it is much easier to use. With 2.0 I feel like unless you have a giant screen to use you’re going to do a lot of scrolling left and right. Of course some things with 2.0 are better, but overall I just prefer 16.

Their programming requirements were pretty simple since they just have plain radios with no screens. They didn’t use MDC so no worries there. They don’t even have a DMR system to use with those cool kid Mototrbo radios. For their usual tasks and purposes their very basic UHF analog setup is sufficient.

Glad to get them up to snuff with the interop frequencies. If a situation ever did go sour for them - a college - they would definitely need the interop capability since everyone and their sister from partnering agencies all use UHF radios but 80% of them would not have their repeater programmed in their radios. I figured as a good will gesture and safety of the community it was the least I could do to help out.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
They are programmed and up to snuff with the required interop frequencies now. Going between CPS 2.0 and 16 really made me miss 16. In my opinion it is much easier to use. With 2.0 I feel like unless you have a giant screen to use you’re going to do a lot of scrolling left and right. Of course some things with 2.0 are better, but overall I just prefer 16.

2.0 has been a disaster since the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.