XPR 7550E for DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Btw, why not upgrade beyond 2.09 firmware? I’d assume future firmwares better for bug fixes & feature add ons. What do I loose by going up from 2.09? Thanks!

Just don't do it! Trust us on that. :)

@Floridarailfanning sums it up quite nicely. I have another question to add...do you need repeaters at each house? I.e., are you planning on putting up a big repeater or something that you can access while mobile and away from your houses? If not, why not go with a hotspot at each house, assuming you are all hams?

If you are not all hams, you're going to run into the issues mentioned above. No DMR on GMRS, and no coordinator in their right mind would issue repeater pairs for non-commercial use, when other services (i.e. GMRS) are available for personal use.

KK6ZNS

K1MES
All my M radios came with 2.10.xx and they gave me CPS 2.0.xx so looks like I'm stuck with that. If someone can specifically tell me what functionality I've lost (and how to downgrade the firmware), I'll certainly look into it.

As I mentioned on the other forum (Multiple DMR IDs for C+ and Brandmeister?), the sites are where there are no cell access (there is fiber to the house) and lots of hiking and outdoor activities, hence radios for mobile comms. Hotspots wont cut it.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
All my M radios came with 2.10.xx and they gave me CPS 2.0.xx so looks like I'm stuck with that.
The issue with CPS 2.0 is that it heavily pushes centralized management of the radios. Because of that, you lose Bluetooth programming (Which didn't work that well anyway) and WiFi programming through CPS. If you've never touched Mototrbo gear before then go ahead with CPS 2.0 as it wouldn't really cause you any issues. Many users were very accustomed to the programming workflow in the old software and some don't want or have a need for Radio Management.

I don't believe that you can downgrade back to R02.09 since the radios shipped with R02.10 from the factory.

KK6ZNS

K1MES
The issue with CPS 2.0 is that it heavily pushes centralized management of the radios. Because of that, you lose Bluetooth programming (Which didn't work that well anyway) and WiFi programming through CPS. If you've never touched Mototrbo gear before then go ahead with CPS 2.0 as it wouldn't really cause you any issues. Many users were very accustomed to the programming workflow in the old software and some don't want or have a need for Radio Management.

I don't believe that you can downgrade back to R02.09 since the radios shipped with R02.10 from the factory.
I had a team from my local M contractor stop by my home this morning and they confirmed what you just wrote: the CPS & firmware I have (newest) no longer allow wifi/bluetooth radio programming. That is, it IS possible over wifi but it requires an entire infrastructure investment that only makes sense for huge radio fleets. USB it is, unfortunately, cuz bluetooth/wifi would be so convenient! Oh well, we loose some and we gain some (I hope). I'm not new to M analog radios (e.g. my CP200) but I am very new to M digital (DMR). Thanks for your patience

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned on the other forum (Multiple DMR IDs for C+ and Brandmeister?), the sites are where there are no cell access (there is fiber to the house) and lots of hiking and outdoor activities, hence radios for mobile comms. Hotspots wont cut it.

I have no clue what other forum you're talking about, but yes, a hotspot wouldn't cut it for that.

So since you're using ham radio for all this, this is a very simple project, aside from cost. Put up the repeaters, link them over the internet (assuming you actually need them linked) and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.