• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR XPR 8400 satellite receiver having reception problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemark

I have two Motorola XPR 8400 set up in a repeater system running in digital mode. one of them is the main repeater the other is being used as a satellite receiver. they are connected via IP thru a Motorola canopy system. This system has been functioning well over the last 4 to 5 years, but here in the last month or so the remote receiver seems to be having a reception issue. if I program the satellite receiver in regular repeater mode it receives well but if I set it back to receiver mode it seems to have a problem seeing a radio key up. I have also switched it to another antenna from another repeater that is setup in the area and nothing changes. I have tried to connect the Motorola RDAC software thru a remote connection but have been unsuccessful but I can connect to a switch and ping the IPs of both the remote and the main repeaters using a PC. What am I missing in trying to get the system functioning properly again?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Any IP network changes recently? What does your IP plan look like? Are there any non-Motorola devices in the IP spaces of both subnets? You do have the 2 repeaters in different subnets correct? TT

firemark

no IP changes. The only thing on the link is the 2 repeaters. I'm thinking a voting issue but I'm unable to see any of that or know what I can check to see what is going on. that's why I am trying to connect using the Motorola RDAC software.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Can you send me both repeater codeplugs? Has ANYTHING changed in the system recently (firmware, repair, cabling, filtering, etc)? In the Mototrbo system planner there is some guidance regarding basic verification of voting parameters (voter connected, voting, signal quality, etc), have you looked at that? You really need RDAC in order to check the system health..... TT

firemark

The firmware was just updated in the last couple of days because I wanted to replace the satellite receiver and the firmware was older on the spare repeater so had to update to test, but the issue was occurring already. how can I send them to you?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
The firmware must be the same (or very similar on both repeaters). SLR repeaters do not like being Peers to XPR or MTR repeaters. What are your radio ID at both sites? Is your RDAC IDs the same? Are they in different subnet?

My throwaway email is tampabayradio at gee male doht comm.......... TT

firemark

the firmware is the same for both. they are both XPR 8400 repeaters and no other repeaters are on the network or system. they are linked thru a Motorola canopy wireless connection and are the only things on the link. radio ids are 1 for the main and 11 for the satellite receiver. I just sent the codeplugs to you.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I saw the codeplugs in the email. Been swamped this week with Anritsu and Genesis GW3TRBO training. Planning to work on it over the weekend. TT

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Firemark,
I looked at your codeplugs and found some possible network issues. You may have to pull the satellite receiver into the same room as the repeater until you get this figured out. It looks like they are on the same subnet and Motorola says voting will not work unless they are on separate subnets. Canopy is a layer 2 system, so you may need to configure each site as a separate subnet OR place a router at 1/both sites. TT

JRayfield

"Canopy is a layer 2 system, so you may need to configure each site as a separate subnet OR place a router at 1/both sites. TT "

I always place a small MikroTik router (such as the RB750 (aka Hex Lite) between a receiver and the network into which it's connected. That works well.

John Rayfield, Jr.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I think Cambium (Canopy) has the ability to have different subnets on its network interfaces. I am not a network expert, though. TT

firemark

TampaTyron, thank you for looking at the codeplugs. yes these are on the same subnet, do I just change the subnet of the repeaters IE. the IP of the main repeater is 172.16.3.11 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0 and the satellite is 172.16.3.21 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0 an I correct to understand that the subnets cannot match? and I do have a switch on each end of the canopy link at the repeaters and that makes it ok to have the same subnet? Mark

firemark

my mistake main is on 172.16.3.11 and sub 255.255.255.0 and satellite is 172.16.3.21 and sub 255.255.255.224.

Firebuff880

No, that is two IP addresses in the same subnet

255.255.255.0 Network is 0 to 255
255.255.255.224 Network is 0 to 31

So .11 and .21 are in the same sub-net move the second address to .33 and it will be in a second subnet of 31 - 62

--------------------------

firemark

I still didn't get that right. My main voting repeater is on 172.16.3.11 and sub 255.255.255.224 and satellite receiver is 172.16.3.21 and sub 255.255.255.0. is that still good? sorry for the confusion of the settings.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Still won't work. 255.255.255.0 covers all of 1. to .255

255.255.255.224 divides that 254 addresses into 8 sections. So both sides will need to be 255.255.255.224 with one side of the up link in one segment of 32 addresses and the other side of the ip link in a different segment of 32 addresses. They cannot be in same segment of 32 addresses. TT

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Some additional info..... one side could be .2 to .31 and the other side could be .35 to 64 or similar with the first gateway as .1 and second gateway as .34 TT

firemark

ok so I changed the main repeater and satellite receiver to the same gateway netmask 255.255.255.0. the main repeater ip is 172.16.3.11 and the satellite receiver ip is 172.16.3.21. I can connect using RDAC and see both main repeater and satellite receiver. I still seem to be having a issue with the satellite receiver not getting or rejecting the signal. I can see that it is receiving a signal using the RDAC but am unsure why it is being rejected not every time but a majority of the time, almost like the main (voter) repeater is not accepting it. Im not sure what I need to look at to see what is happening or maybe adjusting RSSI threshold to get this resolved.

hitechRadio

ok so I changed the main repeater and satellite receiver to the same gateway netmask 255.255.255.0. the main repeater ip is 172.16.3.11 and the satellite receiver ip is 172.16.3.21. I can connect using RDAC and see both main repeater and satellite receiver. I still seem to be having a issue with the satellite receiver not getting or rejecting the signal. I can see that it is receiving a signal using the RDAC but am unsure why it is being rejected not every time but a majority of the time, almost like the main (voter) repeater is not accepting it. Im not sure what I need to look at to see what is happening or maybe adjusting RSSI threshold to get this resolved.
Still in the same subnet. Not sure if that is the problem,,,but just letting you know.

With that subnet 255.255.255.0 you need to change X in the ip address. example 172.16.X.21. The X needs to be different between the two.

Last edited:

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
They must not be in same subnet. Your 255.255.255.0 subnet contains the entire IP portion of 172.16.3.1 through .255. A different subnet would be 172.16.4.1 or 172.16.1.1 or 10.10.10.1, etc. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.