• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR3500 (non-e) Firmware question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropiradio

What is the current situation in regards to firmware updates for the XPR3500? I am aware its a discontinued model, but wonder if there might still be any options left. Reason is I have a radio with FW R02.06.11, CP 04.01.06, and using CPSv16. Basically wanted to use this radio as a demo radio among others to show customers how text messages work, but mine does not have in CPS any related section, nor is there a menu item for it. I'm guessing this could possibly be solved by a firmware update, even an older one that is somewhat more recent than the current.

I found here an older forum thread related to XPR3500 firmware updates, but it is understandably no longer open for further replies.

Thanks.

K2NEC

It uses the same firmware as other Gen 2 radios, therefore it is still supported. The 3500 is a bad demo model for text messaging because it doesnt have a keypad. The 7550(e) would be a better choice.

Word of caution, avoid upgrading firmware to anything beyond 2.09.

tropiradio

Thank you for the warning about the FW upgrade max version. I meant to say canned short text messages, which is basically what can be done with a LKP radio. Problem the 7550's are way too expensive, I have my own but they are a hard sell compared to the 3500, and usually canned texts are much more convenient then typing on a full keypad.

Any idea where I could get the correct FW file? Can the upgrade be done with CPS like an entitlement, or is something else needed?

Thanks again.

tropiradio

Just a follow up, I downloaded Mototrbo Portable firmware 02.09 for CPS 16 NA. I assume this should work with my radio with FW R02.06.11, CP 04.01.06? I did leave out the DL link as I am not sure it is allowed to post them here. If indeed allowed, please let me know and I could add it later.

tropiradio

Thanks for the confirmation Any recommendations as to do and do-not's on how to proceed with the FW upgrade?
Or is it a straight forward procedure? Like Device > Update in CPS? I am running now the portable update packages installation of the FW exe file.
What needs to be done after the FW is completed, will the radio need to be tuned? And I assume the codeplug will be lost and would have to be reloaded.

Last edited:

tropiradio

OK I did install the downloaded 2.09 FW package by executing the file, and it reported to be installed correctly.

Since I have never done this before, still not 100% sure I am doing the upgrade process correctly, so just before I push that no way back button, just wanted to confirm one last time that I am doing this right. Please bear with me on this.

I connected the radio, XPR3500 (non-E), current FW R02.06.11, Codeplug version 04.01.06, and Bootloader version R02.06.10.

I made sure to have a fully charged good battery. In CPS 16b823 opened the DEVICE menu, and selected UPGRADE. It took a bit and then I was presented with the first screen (UPG-1.jpg). Initially both fiels where set to NONE, and the only available option of the Firmware Version field was R02.09.00.0001. There where no options available under the Codeplug Version field. Then once I selected the firmware option the codeplug field automatically presented 14.00.13 (as shown on the second image UPG-2.jpg) which is also the only available option. Odd thing is that there seems to be quite a jump between the current CP version in the radio (04.01.06) and the one the upgrade will provide which again is 14.00.13. Is this normal?

OK so just one last time to be absolutely sure I am not missing anything, or doing something wrong before I hit that OK button where I assume the radio will start to be updated and is basically the point of no return:

Does so far everything look OK and good to GO?

Thanks.

Attachments

• UPG-1.jpg
    UPG-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
  • UPG-2.jpg
    UPG-2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 12

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yep, everything you listed is 100% normal. If you had installed the wrong firmware package then CPS would give you an error saying 'no matching packages found' (or similar). So after you've selected the codeplug version just click on OK and let it do it's thing. Should only take maybe a minute or less to complete the job (you'll see a progress window like you'd see while reading/writing a codeplug).

K2NEC

Just do it already! You almost literally can't go wrong in upgrading the firmware of a radio. The CPS is pretty idiot proof when it comes to upgrading.

tropiradio

Just do it already! You almost literally can't go wrong in upgrading the firmware of a radio. The CPS is pretty idiot proof when it comes to upgrading.

Ok its going now. It got stuck for a minute or so at 17% but now its moving again. At 67% the radio did the turn on tones, and now almost completed. Done, Update Device Successful, and radio rebooted normally.

Stories about FW upgrades gone wrong abound, it seems to be idiot proof only to a certain degree. Better double safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.