• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR3500e firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
I've been working at this for a couple hours with no luck.
I have an XPR3500e model number HO2RDHVA1AN. Actually I own three of them and have a fourth one that was issued to me.
That fourth issued radio has firmware R02.20.01.002 in it. In the code plug it lists many features as "free". More in this later.
The others have different firmwares in them. Two need repairs, leaving me one to work with.
I am trying to update that firmware. It's R02.08.05.0004. I've found three firmware packages in my entitlements list at Motorola Solutions that are compatible with the "XPR3000e series". My goal is to have three three radios I own at the same or newer firmware as the one I was issued.
Here's why: All of the entitlements in my list on Motorola Solutions were free with simply a phone call. I called about buying CPS 2.0, and they gave me instructions how to locate it on their site. I suspect some of those features in my three radios were available for purchase at one point, then issued free with later firmwares or possibly a service contract.
That's where I hit an absolute roadblock. I have searched and cannot find anywhere on Motorola Solutions to buy and/or download EID's for features. I can't find a way to start a service agreement, nor do I need one for my new projects.
CPS 16 says no matching packages exist when I go to update firmware. CPS 2.0 simply hangs on the update screen without spitting out a list of firmwares.
I can program these radios the old fashioned way, but I need them to work with the OKC Sandridge DMR repeater, the OKC East DMR repeater, the repeater at work (for work only), and a couple of analog repeaters. I also will eventually need roaming for ham use and IP Site Connect and for work. The Bluetooth audio would be useful also. I'd use it on my D878 but it's the BTech model. It's great but lacks BT.
Yes I am aware of the potential risks of updating firmware and possibly "losing features".
Anyway, what am I doing wrong on this firmware? I've downloaded and installed all three packages and no dice.

K2NEC

Few things.
1. Is the radio on and connected when you attempt to update the firmware?
2. Have you had any issues with CPS 2.0 prior to this?
3. Have you tried it on any other computers?

EID's can be purchased from dealers. My go to is North Georgia Communications because they are HAM friendly. The link I provided has a list of all the EID's for TRBO radios. Instead of upgrading the radio to a newer firmware, you could purchase the EID's for a relatively inexpensive price. IIRC IPSC was only about $60.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
The only issue I had with CPS 2.0 was trying to get it installed on my other laptop which runs Windows 7. The problem there is with .net 4.8, not a Motorola issue.
The list of EID's will be very helpful tomorrow when I do more tinkering.
BTW, yep, the radio was on and connected. You'd be amazed how often I forget that, though.
Thanks for the info!

redrock2002

Have you downloaded and installed the firmware package on to the computer you are using to update firmware?

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Yes. I grabbed three of them that I believe are different firmware versions, downloaded, and installed all three. They didn't seem to do anything after that. It was kinda like unzipping a zip file really.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Problems solved, questions answered. The firmware had to be updated in steps. Motorola's tech support walked me through it over the phone. Once a newer firmware was flashed, more would show up in the list. We kept going until we got to R02.10.10, where the tech (and members on other threads) recommended we stop to avoid needing a service agreement.
The features, he said, are available in the "Essential Services" package. If that's purchased, they show up as "free" in CPS for the radios that have them registered and activated. That package is available through dealers. I hate having to use a middle man, but that's the only way. I requested a quote from North Georgia Communications.
So the firmware is as high as the free versions allow, my codeplug is in the two working XPR3500e's I have, and some of the parts are here to repair the third one.
I have learned quite a bit getting to this point, and that's my reason for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.