• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR3500e Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

orgchemus

Good Morning-

I am programming my XPR3500e for my work frequencies; I'm very new to CPS and radio programming, but I want to learn.

To program this radio to work, do I need to create and assign a contact and a group list for each channel I create? For example, will I have 17 channels, each with a known department and frequency (Let's call them Shipping, Receiving, Production, Assembly, etc...), and an individual contact and an individual group list?

For Example:
Shipping: Contacts > Digital > Call1 (Contact)
Shipping: RX Group Lists > Digital > List1 (Group List)
Shipping: Channel > Zone1 > Channel1

Receiving: Contacts > Digital > Call2 (Contact)
Receiving: RX Group Lists > Digital > List2 (Group List)
Receiving: Channel > Zone1 > Channel2

Another question: Since each zone only allows 16 channels, for the 17th channel will I need a 2nd zone? I have 16 digital channels and 1 analogue channel. Will I select Zone 2 on the radio when needing to use Channel 17 or is there a way to have all channels accessible?

Hopefully I have described my situation clearly, and I can provide more information once I receive my programming cable and I can read a radio.

Thank you in advance!

Shawn

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
To program this radio to work, do I need to create and assign a contact and a group list for each channel I create? For example, will I have 17 channels, each with a known department and frequency (Let's call them Shipping, Receiving, Production, Assembly, etc...), and an individual contact and an individual group list?
No, you can use a single list for the first 15 contacts which can be applied to numerous channels. For the additional digital channels create a second list with the same contacts.
Another question: Since each zone only allows 16 channels, for the 17th channel will I need a 2nd zone? I have 16 digital channels and 1 analogue channel. Will I select Zone 2 on the radio when needing to use Channel 17 or is there a way to have all channels accessible?
You should be able to put all of the channels in zone 1.

K2NEC

Everything sounds right but, I would put all of the contacts in the same group list. You can fit 16, make it count. It saves time and space.

There is no way on the 3500e for all channels to be accessible. Channel knob stops at 16 so you have to make a new zone for 17.

Tech21

Yes, you have to create a contact for each channel and a rx group list for each channel.

orgchemus

Thank You for the update, and I used some of your advice. I have 2 Zones, setup identical but with different channels, but Zone 2 shows "Unprogrammed" after I select the Zone on the radio. I've looked at everything, read everything, but I have no clue what is going on.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I create a link so you can view the codeplug. CPS 2.0

Thank you in advance!

K2NEC

I havent taken a look at the codeplug but did you add a channel into zone 2?

N1GTL

Database Admin
Unless I missed it, I did not see if you are using digital or analog. I'm assuming digital.

Unless I missed it, I did not see if you are using simplex, conventional digital repeater, IPSC, or Capacity Plus.

You DO NOT need a RX Group List unless you are you are using one of the trunking systems. RX GROUP is like a scan list for trunking systems. You add the additional talk groups that you want to hear besides the selected talk group. It is always on unless you select a FLEXIBLE RECEIVE LIST at which point you can turn it on and off. It is useful for always making sure you're monitor a specific channel regardless of the selected channel.

I would do something like this. Create your talk groups and ID's:

Shipping - 101
Receiving - 102
Production - 103
Assembly - 104
etc

Create your four channels and in the CONTACTS drop down, select each of the above and assign it to the channel. You CAN just leave a single TG and assign it to each channel as long as each channel is a different frequency/color code and/or time slot.

orgchemus

I did plus I figured everything out. I left maybe radio on Channel 16, but the 17th channel I needed was programmed in Zone 2, Channel 1.

Simple mistake but I was able to work through and fix my issue.

Thank You for all your help!

orgchemus

Good Morning Everyone-

I thought everything was good with my radio, but after trying to use the radio with my friends I'm still no good. Programming is okay: no voice, static, or anything is coming out of my radio ,but the two radios are communicating. Well, I think. When we are on the same channel and I press the PTT Button on my friends radio, my radio is flashing green. This happens on all channels, but no voice is coming through even though the radios are communicating.

I've double checked all programming, both radios, and I'm lost. Any help is greatly appreciated and I've uploaded both codeplugs. CPS V16 is the known working radio, and CPS 2.0 is my radio.

Thank you in advance!

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning Everyone-

I thought everything was good with my radio, but after trying to use the radio with my friends I'm still no good. Programming is okay: no voice, static, or anything is coming out of my radio ,but the two radios are communicating. Well, I think. When we are on the same channel and I press the PTT Button on my friends radio, my radio is flashing green. This happens on all channels, but no voice is coming through even though the radios are communicating.

I've double checked all programming, both radios, and I'm lost. Any help is greatly appreciated and I've uploaded both codeplugs. CPS V16 is the known working radio, and CPS 2.0 is my radio.

Thank you in advance!

OK, some obvious questions come to mind. Are you certain you set up the correct talkgroup ID's? If you just matched the talkgroup alias from the existing radio it's not going to work.

Also, does your employer know you're attempting to use their radio system? Legally you MUST have permission. Just being an employee is not sufficient, you need to ensure this is OK with your employer, plus they might have RAS setup on the repeaters which would prevent you from using the system anyway.

orgchemus

I think everything is programmed correctly, and I have permission. Will I not see RAS on the codeplug when I read the radio? It's a very simple setup simply talking between different radios, so it's something very basic I'm missing. Or I hope.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Do you have (or can you point me to) the codeplug that you read out of the work radio? Thank you, TT.

K2NEC

I think everything is programmed correctly, and I have permission. Will I not see RAS on the codeplug when I read the radio? It's a very simple setup simply talking between different radios, so it's something very basic I'm missing. Or I hope.
If you read a good working radio, the RAS key will not show up. It's a security issue. That way the normal person can't find a security feature of a radio system just by reading a radio. Chances are the only person that knows the key is the one that programmed the radios, ie. the radio company.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
The RAS key won't show, but all of the personalities (channels) will be tied to that RAS key. If you read it out of a radio, then the RAS value is now undefined and shows invalid. TT

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I could not find the original codeplug in your original post. I do see a codeplug labelled "current programming" in the 8th post of the thread, but the OneDrive link has expired. I would like to see the original codeplug before I open your codeplugs. TT

orgchemus

I could not find the original codeplug in your original post. I do see a codeplug labelled "current programming" in the 8th post of the thread, but the OneDrive link has expired. I would like to see the original codeplug before I open your codeplugs. TT

I'll have to add the files again, but the CPS v16 is the original file. I'll try tonight, if not I will in the am.

Status
Not open for further replies.