• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR XPR5550 has trouble powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

So I have an XPR5550 in my car and I have noticed that on some days it refuses to power up. At first I didn't notice much of a pattern but now it seems that if my car is too hot or too cold it won't power up until my car gets running. I brought the radio inside to test on my power supply to try and recreate the problem without success which leads me to believe it is the temperature. The radio is wired to a fuse box using a Motorola power cable FWIW. Does the radio have any sort of temperature sensor that could be causing this? Or maybe it could be something with the wiring? On days where my car doesn't get hot the radio powers up the first time I hit the button. Anyone else had this problem?

sfd119

How is it wired? To what fuse box are you wired to? Brand new power cable?

K2NEC

Brand new power cable that is wired to a fuse box by my steering wheel. I tested power on the fuse box and got 13.1v so I am definitely getting power from there. I am using a tap fuse.

sfd119

That is your problem. Do NOT run it off of a fuse tap. Run it straight to the battery.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I would double check your wiring. There has to be a problem with it.

Most cars have ample voltage and current available at the internal fuse box. You may get lucky using an empty fuse slot with an adapter to connect it in. My current car is nearly impossible to get wires through the firewall. I run the same radio from an un-used fuse slot with out any trouble. Yes it is best to go directly to the battery but for some folks it's not an option.

K2NEC

What Skypilot said. Going to the battery isnt an option for me. And with my luck I would forget to turn the radio off and it would kill my battery. I'll try to replace the power cord and see what happens.

sfd119

Well, you wanted to know why its working intermittently and I gave the reasoning why. Using a fuse tap is a bad idea and is almost guaranteed to be the root of your cause.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
What fuse are you using? I have some fuses in my 4Runner that are live when the vehicle is running and a couple minutes after it is shut off then the computer kills power to that circuit.

K2NEC

Well, you wanted to know why its working intermittently and I gave the reasoning why. Using a fuse tap is a bad idea and is almost guaranteed to be the root of your cause.
Why is it a bad idea? I have used them before with no problems. It's not my first radio install.
EDIT: Sorry that's not meant to sound snarky :)

What fuse are you using? I have some fuses in my 4Runner that are live when the vehicle is running and a couple minutes after it is shut off then the computer kills power to that circuit.
My car uses a low profile mini fuse that I have tapped to a spare fuse. Both fuses are 15A.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Why is it a bad idea? I have used them before with no problems. It's not my first radio install.
EDIT: Sorry that's not meant to sound snarky :)

My car uses a low profile mini fuse that I have tapped to a spare fuse. Both fuses are 15A.

Few things off hand. look at the size of the motorola wire vs the car? electrical noise from the vehicle vs running to the battery.

Its not hard to put a hole in the fire wall. or look for a grommet that has something else passing through you can slip two wires.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Few things off hand. look at the size of the motorola wire vs the car? electrical noise from the vehicle vs running to the battery.

Its not hard to put a hole in the fire wall. or look for a grommet that has something else passing through you can slip two wires.

I don't know how many newer cars you have tried to go through the firewall on. Many cars today are not easy to even get to the firewall from the engine compartment. I have a car that is common in public safety but civilian version and it's going to take quite the effort to get a power cable to the battery the right way. Most fuse boxes have at least 15-20 amps feeding them, plenty of current. Finding and empty fuse that is ignition switched or hot all the time is not that hard. Noise could be a problem though. There are solutions for that also.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What kind of car is it?

Powering off the battery is always the preferred choice. Clean power and plenty of it. If you are concerned about forgetting to turn the radio off, use the ignition sense option in the radio, that's exactly what it is there for.

Fuse taps can be problematic. Good source of noise into your radio. You may not hear it on the audio, but it might be there and screwing with things.
Could also be low voltage. I know you said you check it with a meter, but was that with the engine running, engine off, key off?

mpaine

Network Engineer
We had an installer once tap a radio control head ignition wire to 45 - AUX HVAC/IGN on an '09 Tahoe once. It's physically right next to 40 - MISC IGN in the fuse box. Trouble is, whatever that circuit is, it wouldn't power up until the vehicle got up to operating temperature. So the operator would drive around in the vehicle for like 10 or 15 minutes and then his radio would randomly then come on. So we moved it down one to position 40 to use the misc ignition fuse and all was well.

K2NEC

Thank you all for the help. Unfortunately my car was hit this morning (same car with the radio in it) so the last thing on my mind is getting my radio to work. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.