XPR5550 in 2003 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
A nice, clean install. It doesn't get much better than that. Looks good! Can we get a wider shot of the interior? I think the head is at the base of the center stack, where that meets the console, but I'm not 100%.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
How come that antenna is so small? I'm assuming the OP wants something low profile, but how would this compare to a regular sized UHF or VHF antenna?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
How come that antenna is so small? I'm assuming the OP wants something low profile, but how would this compare to a regular sized UHF or VHF antenna?
He is running UHF and its a low profile quarter wave antenna. They work about the same as a 6" whip uhf antenna. There is no comparison on VHF as the VHF low profile is basically a dummy load.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Only thing i recommend is either change coax to mini uhf (the bulky adapters are prone to fail), or get a pigtail adapter. Motorola makes a mini uhf to uhf female.

I'll second this. Those mini-UHF connectors on the back of Motorola radios are easily damaged by adapters hanging off them. The pigtails are a cheap/easy solution. Replacing broken mini-UHF connectors isn't super difficult, but it's easily avoided.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
He is running UHF and its a low profile quarter wave antenna. They work about the same as a 6" whip uhf antenna. There is no comparison on VHF as the VHF low profile is basically a dummy load.

I'll second this. Low profile, same results as regular 'whip' on UHF.

Definitely avoid the VHF ones, though.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Yhe
I'll second this. Low profile, same results as regular 'whip' on UHF.

Definitely avoid the VHF ones, though.
This is very interesting, I might actually try one of these. I'll have to see if I can get one for a standard NMO Mount.

So what are you using it for UHF or DMR or both?

UHF 403-470 Analog and DMR.

They're standard NMO antennas, yes.
Yes. There is a 3/4" hole on the roof toward the back.

Only thing i recommend is either change coax to mini uhf (the bulky adapters are prone to fail), or get a pigtail adapter. Motorola makes a mini uhf to uhf female.
6 months in. No issues so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.