• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR5550 Red flashing LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

QRFactual

LEO Member
Hi everyone. I purchased a Motorola XPR5550 from eBay and it came in today. As soon as I installed it in my truck and turned it on, I’m noticing that the red led is flashing. Any idea on what this could mean?

-Dan

Attachments

• 0402477A-8194-41BD-B147-7A75922CE97C.jpeg
    0402477A-8194-41BD-B147-7A75922CE97C.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 59

K2NEC

Two flashes, pause, two flashes, pause.....?

It could be any of these conditions:
Blinking Red:
Radio has failed the self-test upon powering up.
Radio is receiving an emergency transmission.
Radio is transmitting in low battery state.
Radio has moved out of range if Auto-Range Transponder System is configured.
Mute Mode is enabled.

Tech21

Did you do any programming? If not, depending on it's previous use, it is most likely because it's out-of-range of the whatever system is programmed in.

QRFactual

LEO Member
I haven’t done any programming yet, I had to order a cable. It’s just a consistent flash, off and then on again. I’m hoping there isn’t something major going on, or that it can be corrected

Tech21

The "REG ED" on the channel is a clue. The radio is programmed for a system it's not near anymore. The red flashing light is the out-of-range indicator. It will clear when you reprogram it. The seller should have been responsible and reset the radio back to factory but that's a whole other topic.

K2NEC

The "REG ED" on the channel is a clue. The radio is programmed for a system it's not near anymore. The red flashing light is the out-of-range indicator. It will clear when you reprogram it. The seller should have been responsible and reset the radio back to factory but that's a whole other topic.
Are you talking about out of range of a trunking system? If so, out of range will flash orange not red. Unless, as stated above, ARTS is enabled.
I have gotten plenty of second-hand XPR's that were previously programmed with Cap+, or the like and they all flash orange.

QRFactual

LEO Member
Ok, I understand. I’m hoping it’s not a code plug issue or anything like that. My cable is supposed to be delivered on Sunday and when I connect it to CPS, that’ll be the test

QRFactual

LEO Member
Gotcha, red. I did sent the seller a message just in case. Once my cable comes in I’m hoping I can program and the red flashing will go away.

Tech21

Are you talking about out of range of a trunking system? If so, out of range will flash orange not red. Unless, as stated above, ARTS is enabled.
I have gotten plenty of second-hand XPR's that were previously programmed with Cap+, or the like and they all flash orange.

Depending on the original programmer, they probably left that box checked because it's one that is checked by default.
RED indicator per the manual.

Mute Mode is on.
low battery
receiving an emergency
failed self-test
out-of-range if arts is enabled(most likely cause)

K2NEC

Depending on the original programmer, they probably left that box checked because it's one that is checked by default.
RED indicator per the manual.

Mute Mode is on.
low battery
receiving an emergency
failed self-test
out-of-range if arts is enabled(most likely cause)
Yup if you reference my previous comment, I already looked that up

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the orange double flash is the out of range indication but it is usually accompanied by the "Out of Range" message on the display.

QRFactual

LEO Member
This is the message I just received from the seller...

"that is the out of zone indicator, from the previous user the radio is currently programmed to look for a repeater tower that is now out of range so it lights up to let you know you are not online to the programmed trunking network. reprogram with your frequencies for your network or delete the trunked network and the red led will go off but you will still need to program it for your agency to work for you in your area."

K2NEC

This is the message I just received from the seller...

"that is the out of zone indicator, from the previous user the radio is currently programmed to look for a repeater tower that is now out of range so it lights up to let you know you are not online to the programmed trunking network. reprogram with your frequencies for your network or delete the trunked network and the red led will go off but you will still need to program it for your agency to work for you in your area."
There's your answer! Update us on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.