• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR5550e Rear Audio Input and VOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I'm attempting to set up a 5550e so that the rear audio, which is coming from a computer, can be used as a hot mic source with VOX. (rear PTT is not needed). I have wired the RX audio to pin 12 (RX Audio) and pin 16 (Ground) and the TX audio to pin 11 (TX Audio) and pin 12 (Audio Ground).

In this configuration, the RX Audio comes into the computer as a line-level input as expected but I can't seem to get the TX audio working. I'm thinking of moving the TX ground to a regular ground pin like 18, but I believe there are also settings in CPS for GPIO that need to be set for this to work. Can anyone provide some clarification on this?

Another thing I have been trying to figure out is where or not it's possible to have the front microphone remain functional when needed.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
OK, as an update I have rewired the cable. The RX Audio is still using pins 14 and 16 and working correctly but TX is now on pins 12 and 18. I also set the radio to use the rear input as the Hot Mic source and have turned VOX on at the lowest setting but still can't get the radio to TX from the rear input, though it will happily key up when I hit the PTT on the mic. Any ideas? I hope I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here but I thought this would be a 10-minute project!

Firebuff880

OK, as an update I have rewired the cable. The RX Audio is still using pins 14 and 16 and working correctly but TX is now on pins 12 and 18. I also set the radio to use the rear input as the Hot Mic source and have turned VOX on at the lowest setting but still can't get the radio to TX from the rear input, though it will happily key up when I hit the PTT on the mic. Any ideas? I hope I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here but I thought this would be a 10-minute project!

The Pin map I have shows 12 & 18 as Ground. Your original config of TX audio on 11 & 12 looks correct to me -- Never tried to do this as VOX though always used a PTT.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This feature enables the VOX (Voice Operated Transmit) feature on a selected channel. VOX provides a convenient means of hands-free voice activated communication, removing the need to press the Push-to-Talk (PTT) button. This feature enables the radio to automatically assume the Push-to-Talk (PTT) button is pressed whenever its microphone on the VOX-capable accessory detects voice.

To avoid truncation at the beginning of the VOX call, Talk Permit tone (TPT) should be disabled. If TPT is enabled, the radio user shall use a trigger word to key-up the radio. This trigger word will not, in most cases, be transmitted. After uttering the trigger word, the radio user should begin speaking only after the TPT is heard. Channels may have their VOX feature toggled on/off via a short or long programmable button press (VOX On/Off) or VOX (Utilities Menu). This is a radio-wide feature.

Notes

I have never tried VOX on a mobile, but does the radio need to recognize a mic or mic input as "VOX capable"? IE the bee-boop when you plug in. Not sure what that means.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I have never tried VOX on a mobile, but does the radio need to recognize a mic or mic input as "VOX capable"? IE the bee-boop when you plug in. Not sure what that means.
VOX on the mobiles works exactly the same as on portables, though I think "VOX Capable" could be the problem.
Maybe this will help --
That's interesting. I haven't seen that pin breakdown before, I've just been using the pin-out.

Currently, I have RX Audio running off pins 14 and 16, and the TX Audio is connected to pins 11 and 18. As I said above the RX audio is working exactly as needed, so I assumed that using pin 11 and a ground pin like 18 would work. After looking at what you posted above, I'm thinking that I need to activate the PTT pin, which I believe needs +5v to trigger.

I saw another old thread where someone found the +5v from another pin, possibly pin 22 GP5_7, then wired in a switch before connecting to the PTT pin allowing the switch to control the PTT that way. Does that sound feasible?
pinout.PNG

Firebuff880

Ptt is Pin - 17 GP5-1 but you have to also define it in CPS -

COR for the RX is GP5-2 ..

Using the Radio Programming Software and Programming cable under Accessory Configurations
Set GPIO Pin 1 to External Mic. PTT (Input Active Low). Set GPIO Pin 2 to PL/Talkgroup Detect (Output Active High).

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Ptt is Pin - 17 GP5-1 but you have to also define it in CPS -

COR for the RX is GP5-2 ..

Using the Radio Programming Software and Programming cable under Accessory Configurations
Set GPIO Pin 1 to External Mic. PTT (Input Active Low). Set GPIO Pin 2 to PL/Talkgroup Detect (Output Active High).
OK, I have set pin 17 to Ext PTT and 19 to PL/Talkgroup Detect and I'm assuming that I'll need to use pin 19 for the +5v to trigger the PTT, or am I totally overthinking this?

Firebuff880

I'm assuming that I'll need to use pin 19 for the +5v to trigger the PTT

Sorry, no I think that would be similar to a stuck mic. Your audio source must provide the PTT indication when it wants to transmit. At least it always has in any application I have done -

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, no I think that would be similar to a stuck mic. Your audio source must provide the PTT indication when it wants to transmit.
OK, so I think it would work then since I had thought that a momentary switch would need to be installed between the +5v and the PTT pin otherwise it would be a constant open mic. Thanks for the help, I will see about sourcing a small switch and try out that setup.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
You might want to look at this Tech note -- Or if you have access a similar one for the JPS solution.

Application Notes - SVR - Pyramid Communications
MOTOTRBO XPR Series
That PDF makes sense of the wiring, but what needs to be connected to pin 19 for COR to work. All I have is a line out from the soundcard on the workstation, which is why I thought I would need to add a momentary switch or a VOX relay to trigger the PTT on pin 17 when audio going into the radio is detected on the audio cable.

Firebuff880

I think you are running in the wrong direction. COR will tell you the radio has received Audio and pass that indication to the PC Sound card. You need a way to indicate you want a PTT so the sound card can pass audio through the radio..

I have always used things like the DMK URI or JPS NXUs or even JPS ARAs when I have need to do an interface from software to a Radio..

Good Luck with your project..

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Well it would be great if the radio would run on VOX but looks like that is not going to happen. The alternate way would be to use some kind of external VOX device that would trigger the radio's PTT for transmit.

That's the realization I've come to also. I'm looking into the SignaLink with a 26 pin connector or VOX Link from a company in the UK. I also looked at the TRBOnet A200 which looks like an excellent little ROIP device until they quoted the price. . .

I had to respectfully decline moving forward with ordering as I'm not interested in spending $1,585 just for an audio interface. That's $645 more than the radio itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.