• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

I have a XPR6550 that on occasion is freezing or locking up, and I have to disconnect the battery for second or two then it powers back up and may work for a few more hours or days before it happens again. Any ideas?

katt02

Katt
I have had a similar problem with my xpr6550. Has your radio ever shut off out of nowhere too? Also have you ever turned the radio on and it refuses to get past the mototrbo logo?

Stephen

If I try to turn the radio back on without disconnecting the battery then it will freeze on a blank screen or the TRBO logo..... I have upgraded the firmware since I have had it and that did not seem to change, though I will check tonight on MOL and see if there is another update. The radio was purchased about 1 1/2 years ago from a Motorola dealer as it was a trade in. I did not notice the issue until about 6-8 months ago.

Stephen

Just checked and that is the FW version that is on the radio, I try and stay on top of all of my radios to have the most up to date FW. I have also used different batteries in case that was causing a problem and all of my batteries are legitimate Motorola made.

FARMER522

Try FW 1.17.08 has to come from Motorola, call them and they will send it to you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
S01.17.08 was the last firmware for the XPR 6550, which was never publicly released. It fixed an issue where the radio would emit a full volume high pitched squeal for no apparent reason, and power cycle or battery removal was required to clear the issue. I don't know if there was anything in that release that fixed the issue you're experiencing, but you may want to reach out to MSI to see if they will send you S01.17.08.

Stephen

Perfect I will give them a call when they open up tomorrow or Tuesday and get that ordered. I appreciate the feedback and hopefully this will fix the problem.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
S01.17.08 was the last firmware for the XPR 6550, which was never publicly released. It fixed an issue where the radio would emit a full volume high pitched squeal for no apparent reason, and power cycle or battery removal was required to clear the issue. I don't know if there was anything in that release that fixed the issue you're experiencing, but you may want to reach out to MSI to see if they will send you S01.17.08.
I have a similar issue with my XPR4550. Receiving audio will go silent, then if I turn the volume up I get a squeal. It will either self-correct if left unattended or can be corrected by changing the channel (or perhaps pressing any button for that matter). Nice to know it's not just my radio and that it has been corrected. ^-^

Stephen

Well I have hit a road block with Motorola. I contacted them and after explaining the situation several times, I was told that since the XPR6550 has it end of life support they are no longer sending out this firmware, even though it apparently was used to fix a major issue. I inquired with tech support why this firmware was not made available online and heard only crickets. So I guess I will continue try and figure out another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.