• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR7550 Codeplug Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just received a (very) used XPR7550 and when I tried to read it, it asked for a "codeplug password". Is there a workaround? I'm just going to delete the current channels programmed into it, so recovering what is currently on the radio is not necessary.

N4KVE

I just received a (very) used XPR7550 and when I tried to read it, it asked for a "codeplug password". Is there a workaround? I'm just going to delete the current channels programmed into it, so recovering what is currently on the radio is not necessary.
Ask the seller for the password. Happened to me once. I called him up, & he told me to type in BATTERY. That was all it took.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Ask the seller for the password. Happened to me once. I called him up, & he told me to type in BATTERY. That was all it took.

That's what I just did. I'm waiting to hear back, but I just posted it here to see if there was another way in case he didn't know.

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
In the olden days (1.0 radios below a certain firmware revision) you could use Wireshark to sniff out the password but Motorola closed that loophole sometime ago. I don't think any of the 2.0 radios had that "ability" but I could be mistaken.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, the Firmware Version is R02.40.00 (probably upgraded--the serial decal says the FV is 02.30.13) and the CP Version is 07.07.08. It has a Connect Plus Trunking decal on the back, and the model is AAH56RDN9KA1AN.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
In case he can't, is there some sort of way to create a new codeplug and write over what is currently on the radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I would try to find somebody with the same radio, & try to CLONE his code plug into your radio. I have no idea if this works, but it's very easy to try. I once bought a radio that was last programmed with CPS that was newer than mine, so I could not read the radio. But I cloned somebody else's code plug into the radio with the same older CPS, & that did it. I was then able to read the radio.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I would try to find somebody with the same radio, & try to CLONE his code plug into your radio. I have no idea if this works, but it's very easy to try. I once bought a radio that was last programmed with CPS that was newer than mine, so I could not read the radio. But I cloned somebody else's code plug into the radio with the same older CPS, & that did it. I was then able to read the radio.

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who has one around here that I could do that with. I heard back from the guy I got it from, and (not surprisingly) he didn't know what the password was.

N4KVE

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who has one around here that I could do that with. I heard back from the guy I got it from, and (not surprisingly) he didn't know what the password was.

then I would demand a refund, as all you have is a paper weight.

SCPD

QRT
I agree with N4KVE. A quality seller would have verified that you could use the radio.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
There was a modified version of cps floating around that would bypass the password. You could then go to the password screen and view the password. Havent seen it in the wild for a couple of years. There are ways of dumping in new firmware and other recovery methods, but outside the scope of this website. TT

Z-master

hi mfn002,

The XPR7550 is the american version of our (AU/NZ) DP4801. So knowing this model, the only way to remove the codeplug password is to write in a blank codeplug overwriting the one in the RT.

If the seller doesn't know the password, is there a chance the RT is stolen? either way, any RT supplier should be able to give you a blank codeplug. Unfortunately I don't think our DP4801 codeplugs would be compatible.

Cheers,

N4KVE

This is so sad that you paid $400 for a heavily used XPR7550 that you can not program. Yesterday at a Hamfest my friend was selling BRAND NEW in the box XPR7550e radios for $450 with a full warranty. Good luck to you.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
E-BAY, PayPal, file a claim.

I don't think there's much point in doing that. It was a "parts or repair only" radio. Also, it was an auction, so the price I got it for was just the price the auction ended at.

In addition, the seller had no way of knowing that the codeplug was password locked.

I think that most of the high price had to do with the fact that it came with two extra Impres batteries and a PMN4050A speaker mic.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
This is what I mean by "very well used".
9513f95ee3e199180cdeff0cb26ecd33.jpg

N1GTL

Database Admin
Open CPS and select DEVICE and then RECOVER. You'll need to have at least the same or newer version of firmware installed on the computer. Follow the prompts and it will wipe the radio clean as if it were new. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.