• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR XPR7550e audio cuts out for half a second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
When I monitor certain frequencies (might be all of them) my audio will cut out for a half of second or so before returning to normal and I cannot figure out how to fix it. I figured it might have something to do with my bandwidth for the channel, so I played around with it to no avail. I have the bandwidth set to 25 for the channel in question and I compared it to another XPR7550 (not an e) with the same exact channel specifications (bandwidth 25, etc etc.) and that radio does not have any cut off. Any help is appreciated

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
When I monitor certain frequencies (might be all of them) my audio will cut out for a half of second or so before returning to normal and I cannot figure out how to fix it. I figured it might have something to do with my bandwidth for the channel, so I played around with it to no avail. I have the bandwidth set to 25 for the channel in question and I compared it to another XPR7550 (not an e) with the same exact channel specifications (bandwidth 25, etc etc.) and that radio does not have any cut off. Any help is appreciated

Are you decoding MDC? The DOS system is wonky on the TRBO series. Even if the settings mesh with the system, it’ll still occasionally cut off the first few seconds of voice.

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
Are you decoding MDC? The DOS system is wonky on the TRBO series. Even if the settings mesh with the system, it’ll still occasionally cut off the first few seconds of voice.

Nope, listening to NYPD analog.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It almost sounds like the squelch is tight then. Press the left arrow button three times followed by the right arrow three times (in that exact order) to enter RSSI mode. What signal strength are you seeing?

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
It almost sounds like the squelch is tight then. Press the left arrow button three times followed by the right arrow three times (in that exact order) to enter RSSI mode. What signal strength are you seeing?

It’s varying from -86 to -122

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
-86 is a good strong signal but if it drops to -122 while they're talking, then that would explain it (-122 is around the noise floor). Does it still drop out when you enter Monitor mode? Since your standard 7550 is working properly, in I assume, the exact same location, then there could be something wrong with the e model. Does the standard radio show the same signal levels (while side by side)?

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
-86 is a good strong signal but if it drops to -122 while they're talking, then that would explain it (-122 is around the noise floor). Does it still drop out when you enter Monitor mode? Since your standard 7550 is working properly, in I assume, the exact same location, then there could be something wrong with the e model. Does the standard radio show the same signal levels (while side by side)?

I can't enter monitor mode seemingly because I am in RX Only for the channel. But in regards to signal levels I am usually getting a bar better on the 7550e than the regular XPR7550

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you have the channels PL'd, remove it and try CSQ. There's really no reason to use PL on NYPD channels, as those T-Band frequencies are exclusive to NYC within hundreds of miles.

If the Monitor button isn't functional, you'll need to change a channel parameter. First, temporarily disable RX Only, then scroll down in the TX section and change Admit Criteria to Always. Remember to re-enable RX Only. Now you should be able to use the Monitor button to open squelch, and if you hold it for a few seconds it will latch open. That's a good way to determine if the signal is dropping out completely, or just fading away from time to time.

K2NEC

I just checked with my 5550 and I believe I have the same problem as you. With my CDM, same antenna, same channel, it sounds perfectly fine. Sounds like it's just something with TRBO radios. I think it has something to do with the RSSI, my CDM is receiving the transmissions even with no bars, while the 5550 is cutting in and out very often.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I just checked with my 5550 and I believe I have the same problem as you. With my CDM, same antenna, same channel, it sounds perfectly fine. Sounds like it's just something with TRBO radios. I think it has something to do with the RSSI, my CDM is receiving the transmissions even with no bars, while the 5550 is cutting in and out very often.
I've noticed this with CM300d and XPR5550e radios when used for analog simplex operations. It seems to be an issue with the radio misinterpreting the actual RSSI because the RX audio will often cut out even with one or two bars showing. This is very annoying and seems like something Motorola could very easily fix, though they probably never will. Just another selling point for APX I guess.

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
If you have the channels PL'd, remove it and try CSQ. There's really no reason to use PL on NYPD channels, as those T-Band frequencies are exclusive to NYC within hundreds of miles.

If the Monitor button isn't functional, you'll need to change a channel parameter. First, temporarily disable RX Only, then scroll down in the TX section and change Admit Criteria to Always. Remember to re-enable RX Only. Now you should be able to use the Monitor button to open squelch, and if you hold it for a few seconds it will latch open. That's a good way to determine if the signal is dropping out completely, or just fading away from time to time.

Tried it on CSQ to no avail, might be a MOTOTRBO issue like the two comments above have stated

N1GTL

Database Admin
Might a system on a nearby frequency be polling? TRBO system with a stronger system?

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
CSQ, as in no PL but did you enable Monitor? That is, completely unsquelch the channel. This will test if the squelch is too tight.

Monitor still wouldn't work, didn't have "Admit Criteria" in my CPS

Tank67

Premium Subscriber
Do you have unlink monitor checked under general settings?

Nope, it's unchecked, I did check it off now and monitor now works

It's there. Change the view in CPS from Basic to Expert.

Ahhhh okay I forgot about expert mode, however when I re-enable RX Only it puts it back onto Channel Only.

I got monitor to work utilizing what Ant said, and listening through monitor nothing is being cut off like it usually is, I double checked my squelch and it has been on normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.