• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL 2500 Not Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Motorola XTL 2500 in my ambulance and we have to change zones whenever we move to a different county in order to monitor the FDs in the area. For some reason zone c will not scan the FDs. I got to looking at it and found that the desired channels have not been added to the scan list. I hit prog > scan and scroll to the channels and press SEL but I get a low, dull tone and the Z does not appear. It does work when I add our dispatch channel in zone c to the list, just not the FD channels

evfd1625

The XTL 2500 only does 15+1 scanning. 15 independent members in the scan list, plus 1 selected channel. Chances are your scan list is full. I'd try editing your scanlist, and pressing the RCL button, and seeing how many members you have in the list. Sorry, it only does 15+1 for trunking, and 16 for conventional.

RKG

Better yet, have different scan lists for different selected channels.

Fleet radio programming is ultimately up to the Chief, who may have delegated to a Communications Officer, but for your guidance:

Each channel entered in the Zone/Channel screen is associated with a Conventional Personality. (The Conventional Personality is a set of parameters that will apply whenever a selected channel points to that Conventional Personality.)

Each Conventional Personality is associated with a Scan List. That scan list will be employed whenever a selected channel points to a Conventional Personality that points to that scan list.

talviar

I'm betting that the channels you are trying to add are on a trunking system.. A "different" trunking system than the one you are currently scanning.

If this is the case, the radio needs reprogrammed to permit "multi system scan" on the scan list you are trying to modify. A caution though-by enabling multi system scan you lose priority scanning. You can have one or the either but not both when trunking is involved. . . . .

As always this has been my $2.25 (about ready to adjust for inflation again) and YMMV!

Have a great one.
Tony

Additional Note-reread the original posting. . . . This might not be the case. Your scan list may be full. . . . . .

Last edited:
The channels are on trunked radio systems. I have no idea how the hell this is set up. Our dispatch is on 3 different trunked systems depending on which county we go to...but all 3 channels have been programmed into each of the 4 zones.

Orange County is on zone C, Jefferson County South is on zone B and Beaumont Fire is on Zone A. Only Zone C does not scan. We have not had an issue of this until this morning.

As for the scan list being full, I had found out about that previously thru prior trial and error...so today I started fresh and emptied the scan list completely. Still no luck.

Last edited:

RKG

The radios are trunked radio systems. I have no idea how the hell this is set up. Our dispatch is on 3 different trunked systems depending on which county we go to...but all 3 channels have been programmed into each of the 4 zones.

As for the scan list being full, I had found out about that previously thru prior trial and error...so today I started fresh and emptied the scan list completely. Still no luck.

Given this, my guess is that no one from a distance can give you a reliable answer; you have to talk to the people who have designed this system to figure out how (if at all) to achieve what you want to achieve.

Well it's mysteriously resolved itself. Last night it worked properly but I have no idea how it happened. There's 3 other crews that use this truck so there's no way to know what all gets done on these radios when Im not on shift....

viet5d

XTL2500 - SCAN button

Hi,

I have a new Motorola radio XTL2500. I would like to program the SCAN button menu (same time with ZONE, COLR, MON) on LCD but the "SCAN" does not appear on the LCD, other buttons are OK. I set the radio in mode conventional with 1 ZONE / 1 channel.

Please advice.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.