• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL2500 ADP programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsykes41770

We will be converting to a P25 infrastructure shortly. We are going to be using ADP encryption to secure some of our zones and channels. The problem I am having is getting the trunking system for the P25 system to check the system key box in the Trunking Configuration>Trunking System>General tab. It takes the ID's without a problem and recognizes the Advanced System Key as well, but it won't check off the System Key box. Any ideas?

I have used the same setup with our APX 6000 portables and it works fine. I just can't figure out why this isn't working at all. There is no software system key for the new system, only an Advanced System Key. At this point I am lost so any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne Sykes

kb0uxv

Have your tried going to top menu - TOOLS, SYSTEM KEYS, LOAD, ADVANCED KEYS?

If I remember right when the advanced key is loaded the key box in the trunking system is grayed out...if you are able to edit radio and talkgroup IDs it must be loaded? You should be able to create your ADP keys and then assign/strap to talkgroups in your personalities.

wsykes41770

That was the 1st thing I tried. All of my system keys are loaded, both Advanced and Software keys. Any other suggestions?

grem467

nevermind.. i misread your post...

i have this issue as well with ONE ASK out of 25... moto was baffled, we changed the ibutton out and the problem went away.

wsykes41770

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I get a chance. I do have the Motorola Engineers that are working with us on changing out the system looking into it as well. As soon as I figure out what the solution is, I will post it here.

wsykes41770

Ok. I found out the original problem isn't a problem at all. But know I have an interesting one I can't figure out yet. The funny thing is Motorola can't either, yet.

Here's what is happening:

I took one of our original templates and converted it from Type II to ASTRO 25. I have verified that everything is set the way I was told to set it up, as far as talkgroups, system ids, etc.... The template loads fine, but when I select a channel on the new system, the radio shows OUT OF RANGE. It doesn't matter which channel or zone. It shows that on ALL of the ASTRO 25 zones and channels. When I select a channel on our B system (the old system), the radio operates as you would expect it to.

I have gone into the Zone Controller and the radio is there. You can even see it on the Zone Watch screen when you key up on the B System. Nothing seen on the new system. When you send RCM commands to it on the B System, it responds as normal. When you do a Radio Check on the RCM screen, the only thing that shows is the alias and the ID.

ANY IDEAS? Any thing would be helpful at this point.

Batwings21

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Watch the LED on the radio if it tx's once for affiliation then goes "out of range" it is being told that its not allowed on the site, this can be because of a site restricted talkgroup, a radio set for secure on a non secure talkgroup, etc etc.

RKG

And, of course, double check the entries for control channels on the 9600 system.

kb0uxv

If everything in the 9600 is correct and verified (WACN, control channels, etc) then I agree with the others that the problem is on the system side. If you can use Zone Watch and RCM you must be a UCM user too? I would check the following:

Radio ID exists under Radio tree. Verify it is set for IVD, not data only.

Radio User exists.

Radio User, Capabilities Tab - verify Voice Enabled. verify Radio User Capability Profile and Site Access Profile are correct and valid at your site

Talkgroup - TG enabled, and valid site access profile.

With regards to your RCM, when you radio check on the 9600 the RID and alias will still show if the radio is not affiliated, if the user exists. Does it say "radio not found" (meaning user exists but not affiliated to your zone) or "invalid radio" (user does not exist) on the bottom of the window?

If all the above is correct then I am out of ideas. Is this a problem on just one radio, or several? If just one maybe something is goofed in the flash.

Last edited:

wsykes41770

The UCM was the first thing I checked. I had an engineer from Motorola sitting right there when we checked it. We confirmed that the radio was registering correctly. You could talk on other systems, just not the P25 system. We compared the template with one from our APX6000 templates to see if there were any discrepancies, but we couldn't find any. I tried a different radio with the same results. The only thing I haven't tried is strapping the Trunking Personality to secure. Some of our channels will be Clear with others Secure. I think if you set the Trunking Personality to secure, it overrides the Talkgroup secure settings, but I may be wrong.

kb0uxv

I am out of ideas then...if the programming in the XTL matches the APX6000, UCM settings between those two radio users match, then there must be something wrong with that radio. Can you do a software re-fresh on that XTL?

wsykes41770

Figured it out. It appears that the codeplug got corrupted somehow. I decided to rebuild it from scratch today and it worked flawlessly. I don't know what got corrupted exactly, but it appears that something did.

Status
Not open for further replies.