• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL2500 no softkeys/first start up/programming HELP PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergio44

Hi All.
Please help with ours XTL2500.
It is installed on board of **** and haven't ever be used.
When I switched it on, I can see only ZONE and SEC soft keys on the display.
Z1 and CHAN 1 also displayed.
I cant change anything except "erase key".
When I'm trying to change the zone - nothing happens.

When I'm going to the Front Panel Programming Mode, all I can do is change the CH ID #.
Appreciate your advises.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks like you've got an unprogrammed radio. It needs to be programmed with CPS.

You'll also eventually figure out those radios don't have front panel programming.

Sergio44

Thanks a lot mike)
I suspect something like this)))
Let me be so brash to ask you if you have spare art number, picture or at least name of cable connection i need to program it?
thanks for your help

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Programming cable for an XTL series radio is HKN6184C. You will also need the Astro25 CPS software to program the radio (please don't ask for it here, that won't go over well).

It sounds like you need to do some reading and learn a little more about these radios. It's not like a scanner where you punch in some numbers and away you go....

Sergio44

Thanks a lot Forts.
All I need is this radio receive and transmit on the fixed VHF channels. No any advanced functions required at all. I understand that I have to dig deeper a bit, but quantity of information is so big and the quality of it is so poor... So, I have no choice rather than ask for help of professionals such as you and Mike. Otherwise I'll spent 12 hours of my shift a front of the computer with the XTL behind it)))
Sorry for my English and thanks again for your help. I'll order cable and soft and will see what I can do with it during my next trip on board next month!
Best regards to moderators from Ukrainian on board on ship in Brazilian waters)

Status
Not open for further replies.