• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTL2500 Not receiving or transmitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25andstuff

I have a XTL2500 that I just got from a surplussed DOT tractor. It is hooked up properly to power, and I know the speaker works because I can hear the button tones. But I have a stock Motorola 12 inch whip antenna and i'm not receiving, or transmitting. The antenna is old but the contacts seem to be in order, should I buy a new one or is the radio bricked? (I have CPS and programming software on the way.)

K2NEC

Ok so you just bought this radio from surplus, it's probably programmed with the DOT frequencies, chances are, you won't hear anything until you reprogram the radio for what you need. It's programmed for what that agency used.

P.S. Do you know what a bricked radio is? Because by your implied definition, you don't.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a XTL2500 that I just got from a surplussed DOT tractor. It is hooked up properly to power, and I know the speaker works because I can hear the button tones.

Has it been programmed? If you have not programmed it for frequencies you are licensed by the FCC to use, you should absolutely not be transmitting. If it's was originally on a trunked radio system, it's not going to transmit if it's not connected to their system.

But I have a stock Motorola 12 inch whip antenna and i'm not receiving, or transmitting. The antenna is old but the contacts seem to be in order, should I buy a new one or is the radio bricked? (I have CPS and programming software on the way.)

What do you mean by "stock Motorola 12" whip antenna?

Antennas are frequency specific, and you have to have the right antenna for the frequency/band in use. Grabbing random antennas and plugging them into a radio is not a good idea.

If you want the radio to work, you need to figure out your antenna system. You also need to program it to something you are licensed to use, or set it up for receive only.

P25andstuff

Has it been programmed? If you have not programmed it for frequencies you are licensed by the FCC to use, you should absolutely not be transmitting. If it's was originally on a trunked radio system, it's not going to transmit if it's not connected to their system.

What do you mean by "stock Motorola 12" whip antenna?

Antennas are frequency specific, and you have to have the right antenna for the frequency/band in use. Grabbing random antennas and plugging them into a radio is not a good idea.

If you want the radio to work, you need to figure out your antenna system. You also need to program it to something you are licensed to use, or set it up for receive only.
I have the original antenna from the tractor it was on, and all of the stock cables. Also I couldn't even hold the PTT down for more than half a second before the radio just blacked out. And It had a NOAA frequency programmed into it and I still couldn't hear a thing. I had my Pro-668 on one of the frequencies, next to it when I held the ptt down and nothing was heard. I'm using a 12 volt 10 amp power supply do I need more? Or is the antenna cable bad due to it being on a tractor for 10-15 years.? Or did I fry the radio pressing the PTT down without enough power? Help! I really want this radio to work.

jim202

Slowdown and breath. Just turning on a radio and pressing the PTT switch is no way to be trying out a radio of unknown programming. At least put a watt meter and a dummy load on the radio before trying to key it up. Some test equipment is really needed here.

As for obtaining the software to program the radio, it would be better to have someone mentor you on how to use it. Even some of the radio service techs that I have run into over the years do not do well trying to program the XTS family of radios. You being a green horn to expect to just obtain the programming software should not expect it to be a walk down the street. It is going to take some real effort to find your way around it. There are a number of hoops in it that you need to know, just to get around the different sections of it.

This is not something that can be done over a chat group. Find someone locally that is willing to spend several days with you. This is not a 5 minute learning session to learn your way around the XTS programming software.

One more comment on the programming software. There are many versions of the XTS software. The correct one to use will sort of depend on what version was last used on the radio. The programming software will not let an older version of the software to even read the radio if a newer version was last used on it.

Last edited:

quickie20007

Send it to me I can test if for you I have the equipment and experience with that radio lol

P25andstuff

Slowdown and breath. Just turning on a radio and pressing the PTT switch is no way to be trying out a radio of unknown programming. At least put a watt meter and a dummy load on the radio before trying to key it up. Some test equipment is really needed here.

As for obtaining the software to program the radio, it would be better to have someone mentor you on how to use it. Even some of the radio service techs that I have run into over the years do not do well trying to program the XTS family of radios. You being a green horn to expect to just obtain the programming software should not expect it to be a walk down the street. It is going to take some real effort to find your way around it. There are a number of hoops in it that you need to know, just to get around the different sections of it.

This is not something that can be done over a chat group. Find someone locally that is willing to spend several days with you. This is not a 5 minute learning session to learn your way around the XTS programming software.

One more comment on the programming software. There are many versions of the XTS software. The correct one to use will sort of depend on what version was last used on the radio. The programming software will not let an older version of the software to even read the radio if a newer version was last used on it.
Is there a way I can put the radio into service mode like the XTS radios and see what it's running? Also I do have Motorola dealers not to far from my area If I gave them a call could they help me out? I do know what the radio is programmed to.

K2NEC

Yes, power on the radio and press the home button 5 times

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have the original antenna from the tractor it was on, and all of the stock cables. Also I couldn't even hold the PTT down for more than half a second before the radio just blacked out.

Sounds like power starvation. Could be your power supply, could be a bad connector. Without knowing exactly what model radio it is, We can't really tell you if your 10 amp power supply is enough.

And It had a NOAA frequency programmed into it and I still couldn't hear a thing.

OK, so VHF radio, that's a start. Giving us the full model number info off the radio would help. What you are doing is equivalent of saying "I have a Ford vehicle and need to change the oil, how do I do it?" There's a lot of additional info needed before anyone can give you any sort of useful advice. Like changing the oil, we'd need to know the exact model, engine, year, etc.

Simply saying you have an XTL-5000 isn't enough. That's a general model name, but doesn't tell us anything about the frequency (we've got as far as VHF….) and power level. Power level info in important because that will tell us how big a power supply you need, what size wiring, fuse size, etc.

I had my Pro-668 on one of the frequencies, next to it when I held the ptt down and nothing was heard.

Keying up a transmitter right next to your scanner is a good way to cook the innards in your scanner. Please don't do that.

I'm using a 12 volt 10 amp power supply do I need more?

Maybe. You have to give us some details.
And you need a proper antenna, and enough separation between your scanner and transmitter so as not to damage things. We'd also need to know something about the frequencies and power levels involved.

Or is the antenna cable bad due to it being on a tractor for 10-15 years.?

It's possible.
I'm trying to figure out what sort of antenna you are using. If this is a VHF radio, and you say the antenna is 12 inches tall, that's not adding up. If it was a 1/4 wave antenna, it's going to be about 17 inches tall. It's also going to require a ground plane under the antenna.

Or did I fry the radio pressing the PTT down without enough power? Help! I really want this radio to work.

Unlikely you damaged the transmitter if it was starved for power, but it's not a good idea to do that.

If you want to learn about radios, that's good, but it would be a good idea to gain some knowledge before hooking all this up and transmitting. You need some basic tools and test equipment, or at least get a local shop to assist you.

And as for the programming software and cable, not sure what you are going to do with those just yet. Do you have a plan? There's a lot you need to know before wading into programming radios like these. It's complex and there are ways you can unknowingly cause harmful interference to other radio users (even public safety users) without knowing it.

Give us some more info about the specific radio, the antenna, the antenna mount, the power supply, how it's all hooked up and what you plan to do with it all. That's the only way we can assist you.

P25andstuff

Sounds like power starvation. Could be your power supply, could be a bad connector. Without knowing exactly what model radio it is, We can't really tell you if your 10 amp power supply is enough.

OK, so VHF radio, that's a start. Giving us the full model number info off the radio would help. What you are doing is equivalent of saying "I have a Ford vehicle and need to change the oil, how do I do it?" There's a lot of additional info needed before anyone can give you any sort of useful advice. Like changing the oil, we'd need to know the exact model, engine, year, etc.

Simply saying you have an XTL-5000 isn't enough. That's a general model name, but doesn't tell us anything about the frequency (we've got as far as VHF….) and power level. Power level info in important because that will tell us how big a power supply you need, what size wiring, fuse size, etc.

Keying up a transmitter right next to your scanner is a good way to cook the innards in your scanner. Please don't do that.

Maybe. You have to give us some details.
And you need a proper antenna, and enough separation between your scanner and transmitter so as not to damage things. We'd also need to know something about the frequencies and power levels involved.

It's possible.
I'm trying to figure out what sort of antenna you are using. If this is a VHF radio, and you say the antenna is 12 inches tall, that's not adding up. If it was a 1/4 wave antenna, it's going to be about 17 inches tall. It's also going to require a ground plane under the antenna.

Unlikely you damaged the transmitter if it was starved for power, but it's not a good idea to do that.

If you want to learn about radios, that's good, but it would be a good idea to gain some knowledge before hooking all this up and transmitting. You need some basic tools and test equipment, or at least get a local shop to assist you.

And as for the programming software and cable, not sure what you are going to do with those just yet. Do you have a plan? There's a lot you need to know before wading into programming radios like these. It's complex and there are ways you can unknowingly cause harmful interference to other radio users (even public safety users) without knowing it.

Give us some more info about the specific radio, the antenna, the antenna mount, the power supply, how it's all hooked up and what you plan to do with it all. That's the only way we can assist you.
Ok its a Motorola XTL2500 VHF M21KSM9PW1AN, Its Running R 4.0, and I have R 20.0 software downloaded. I was able to get NOAA and the antenna works fine, just the area in my house where the radio was is a dead spot. I moved it and It worked just fine. I need a bigger power supply to transmit but I can receive fine and thats the only thing I plan on doing. Its a 12V 10A DC power supply. Im also using all of the stock Motorola cables etc, and have my antenna mounted in my window. Im also a little familiar with Motorola software and I got someone who can help me.

Last edited:

P25andstuff

You could run 10 radios off that PS at the same time because you could only TX on one radio at a time.
Well I haven't reprogrammed the radio yet, and it needs 30 watts to transmit on high power and thats what its programmed to at the moment.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok its a Motorola XTL2500 VHF M21KSM9PW1AN, Its Running R 4.0, and I have R 20.0 software downloaded. I was able to get NOAA and the antenna works fine, just the area in my house where the radio was is a dead spot. I moved it and It worked just fine. I need a bigger power supply to transmit but I can receive fine and thats the only thing I plan on doing. Its a 12V 10A DC power supply. Im also using all of the stock Motorola cables etc, and have my antenna mounted in my window. Im also a little familiar with Motorola software and I got someone who can help me.

OK, so that's a 50 watt VHF mobile.
It's likely pulling a bit more than 10 amps on transmit. If you are not going to transmit with it, disconnect the microphone to keep that from accidentally happening. A 10 amp power supply will work just fine for receiving only.

And if you want the radio to receive well, get the antenna outside and up as high as you safely can. It's never going to work to it's full potential inside your house.

P25andstuff

OK, so that's a 50 watt VHF mobile.
It's likely pulling a bit more than 10 amps on transmit. If you are not going to transmit with it, disconnect the microphone to keep that from accidentally happening. A 10 amp power supply will work just fine for receiving only.

And if you want the radio to receive well, get the antenna outside and up as high as you safely can. It's never going to work to it's full potential inside your house.
I'm yet to reprogram it, I plan on having many channels on receive only besides the ones i'm allowed to transmit on. I like the look of the whole setup with the Mic on the radio lol. My antenna is outside on my second floor window, everything that I plan on receiving has a strong signal.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Okay sounds good, I remember my first Motorolas with zero experience, they were HT1000's on DOS, Moved up to MT2000s on DOS, MTS2000, HT1250s, XTS CPS all on windows. Remember to tick the box on each personality Receive Only personality. Anytime you hit the mic button the radio will bonk back at you

I cant stress this enough - Right click anywhere in the program you want to learn more and it will open the help files. There is a plethora of information you will learn from those help files to understand how everything programming related works. Make sure you click see more info to read the entire help file document. Ive learned more from the help files than any forums or persons combined

Status
Not open for further replies.