• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL2500 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a used XTL2500 UHF, model # M21QTM9PW1AN. I wish to add a remote head at some point and would appreciate guidance on which remote head I should try and find that will work with this radio. If there are any additional specific items I will need, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks very much.
Metrofire31
Western North Carolina
WQIT636

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
XTL2500

Check with your local Motorola shop. The XTL2500 has been discontinued, so I don't know how much longer the conversion kits will be available.

There is a complete conversion kit to go from dash to remote mount that contains the parts and pieces needed to make the swap. Be advised, part of the conversion involves removing the control head and changing out a flex cable in the front of the transceiver. These cables can be torn if you're not careful. Then the control head gets a new back panel with the remote connectors. If you're the least bit squeamish about disassembling a $2500 radio and not damaging anything, you might also consider having them do the conversion for you.

Larry

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
...The XTL2500 has been discontinued, so I don't know how much longer the conversion kits will be available.
No, the XTL5000 has been discontinued but they haven't yet announced when the 2500 production will end. Even after discontinuation, the standard policy is to fully support two-way products for 5 years more.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't think there will be any shortage of remote mount kits for several years to come.

Heck, you can still easily find Spectra remote mount kits.

hitechRadio

FYI: XTS and XTL 1500, 2500 will no longer be sold at the end of October this year 2014. Support will continue until end of 2019.

hitechRadio

You got to be kidding me, thanks Motorola :(

APX line will replace this line. The XTS series has been around for sometime now. And IMO it is time for replacement. Older vocoder for one and there have been many advancements and features that the hardware will possibly not support.
I believe the APX 1000 and 4000 will replace the XTS 1500 and 2500 respectively.
XTL2500 mobile is probably the APX4500.

esu78

hi all, looking to do same as metrofire31.
is this all just plug and play if i have all the parts TIB, cables, Remote head?
anything special in programming etc?

sfd119

APX line will replace this line. The XTS series has been around for sometime now. And IMO it is time for replacement. Older vocoder for one and there have been many advancements and features that the hardware will possibly not support.
I believe the APX 1000 and 4000 will replace the XTS 1500 and 2500 respectively.
XTL2500 mobile is probably the APX4500.

It'd be nice if they release pricing for this soon.

hitechRadio

hi all, looking to do same as metrofire31.
is this all just plug and play if i have all the parts TIB, cables, Remote head?
anything special in programming etc?

post #4 pretty much sums it up.
Except for the first part about the XTS 2500 being discontinued, almost but not yet.

hitechRadio

It'd be nice if they release pricing for this soon.

Pricing should be avaliable, but i have not inquired on the price from my rep yet. And that would be between him and myself. HIHI.
I expect it to be a little higher (but not "you got to be kidding me" more) than what the 2500 costs with the options I would need.

Last edited:

wsykes41770

My department just recently purchased some of the APX4500s instead of the XTL2500s. We bought two different flavors: VHF and 7/800MHz. The VHF ran around $1500 each, and the 7/800MHz version ran closer to $3200 each. You have 4 menu buttons instead of 5 and only one knob. The knob functions as both Volume and Channel. You push it in then rotate to select the channel. It also has a built-in speaker like the XTL1500.

hitechRadio

My department just recently purchased some of the APX4500s instead of the XTL2500s. We bought two different flavors: VHF and 7/800MHz. The VHF ran around $1500 each, and the 7/800MHz version ran closer to $3200 each. You have 4 menu buttons instead of 5 and only one knob. The knob functions as both Volume and Channel. You push it in then rotate to select the channel. It also has a built-in speaker like the XTL1500.

Do you have the flashcode's of the radio's? The price of the APX4500 seem's pretty inline with the XTL2500 when optioned the same. And I like the O2 head, pretty nice.
Thanks for posting estimated cost's.

wsykes41770

The VHF version is 102040-Q04000-6 and the 7/800MHz version is 901048-G1H480-9. Nothing fancy on the VHF, just strictly conventional VHF. 7/800MHz we operate a P25 Trunked Simulcast system and use ADP encryption on our basic radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.