XTL5000 03 Control Head - 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I found that most ham radios (except maybe Kenwood) have mics that aren’t hefty enough for the strong magnetic mic.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
I've got one on a Polaris Ranger mounted vertically. Been up and down a lot of rough trails and never had the mic come off the mount, and that was with a heavy Motorola microphone.
Hi, any chance you have info on the mag mic holder ?? Name or link ??

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi, any chance you have info on the mag mic holder ?? Name or link ??

Thanks 03msc,

ems55, also here:

Yeah, expensive, but nice. Do be aware that some radios (Kenwood LMR and probably others) need a very minor modification to the hook switch circuit to get the off hook functions to work correctly. Very easy to do on the Kenwood radios. Not needed on the Motorola's I've used. Won't need any modification for the ham radios. Does need the standard button type hang up to attach to. Some of the cheapy radios that don't use the standard hang up button will need some modifications to work.

The box contains everything you need, hardware, Allen wrench, mounting template, etc.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know that. I traded in a 2015 F250 that hadn’t been in the shop EVER and I got a brand new truck that’s been there 4 total. You have to remember that there’s also a lot of people who don’t get on forums. I’m just going off of my experience and trying to help people avoid making a mistake. I’d wait for 2021 models.

anyways, back to the topic! I had a magnetic mic as well but I found it to be too much for my ID-5100 mic so I went back to a normal mic clip.
Interesting.

My dad bought one back in August. Nearly 35,000 miles on it now and hasn't had a single issue aside from the tailgate (both cases of operator error).

Like you said, it really depends. In my personal experience a Ford costs three times as much to keep on the road and is in the shop twice as often as a GM truck. 9 F series trucks in 5 years and only one made it past 150,000 miles.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 Mag mic's in my Impala one on a W3 head an XTVA HHCH mic ( same as a W3) and one mounted to a short Ram mount that I have a metal disk behind the back of my Otterbox for my IPhone 10s never had an issue with any one coming off ..

Status
Not open for further replies.