XTL5000 03 Control Head - 2020 GMC Sierra AT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Finally got my Motorola XTL5000 with 03 Handheld Control Head Mic installed in the new truck. The radio base and all wires are under the center console. Went through the firewall and connected to the battery so the radio can be powered on with the truck off. NMO 3/4 mount whip antenna on the roof and attached to the center console with a magnetic mic mount.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 597
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 606
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 499

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The magnetic-mics are nice. I've got them in my work truck and all our police cars. I've got one on my Polaris Ranger, also.

So, looks like the antenna is off center. Plans for more up there?

Premium Subscriber
The magnetic-mics are nice. I've got them in my work truck and all our police cars. I've got one on my Polaris Ranger, also.

Yes, this was my last truck and my plans for this one as well. Low profile VHF and low profile 4G Cell phone booster.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 124

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

I'm throwing on in the XJ next weeks. I was using one with a W3 5 years ago and hit a dirt to pavement transition too hard and got the truck airborne. That W3 didn't go anywhere (and the truck was fine).

I'll add this.
Pg70d75.mp4

Azgunguy

Install looks great. Ive been wanting to do that setup for a while with the O3. Super discrete. Our local highway patrol stopped using mag mics. A trooper went down into a gully in a median to make a quick u-turn. The inertia from going through the ditch flung the mic down and then back up right into his face breaking his nose and eye socket. However I do love them otherwise.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Clean install! And those AT4's look great! If I was in the market, that's what I'd want. Not sure I could swing it but that's what I'd want. :)

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Install looks great. Ive been wanting to do that setup for a while with the O3. Super discrete. Our local highway patrol stopped using mag mics. A trooper went down into a gully in a median to make a quick u-turn. The inertia from going through the ditch flung the mic down and then back up right into his face breaking his nose and eye socket. However I do love them otherwise.

Really? They seem pretty stout to me; I have to really mean to get the mic off of the magnet before it comes off. That particular trooper must not have had it on there very good or...maybe it was a different brand? Not saying it's impossible but I'm not seeing how that could happen...

Azgunguy

Really? They seem pretty stout to me; I have to really mean to get the mic off of the magnet before it comes off. That particular trooper must not have had it on there very good or...maybe it was a different brand? Not saying it's impossible but I'm not seeing how that could happen...
You can knock them off pretty easily if they're mounted vertically to a console or dash. We use them as well and I've knocked them off quite a bit.

OhSixTJ

Clean install! And those AT4's look great! If I was in the market, that's what I'd want. Not sure I could swing it but that's what I'd want. :)

Don’t! They’re riddled with electrical gremlins and the rear sliding window is guaranteed to leak. I didn’t know any of that before I got mine or else I wouldn’t have. Too late now!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Don’t! They’re riddled with electrical gremlins and the rear sliding window is guaranteed to leak. I didn’t know any of that before I got mine or else I wouldn’t have. Too late now!

Haven't heard of those issues. But I haven't researched them either.

OhSixTJ

I love my AT4, have not had any issues whatsoever!

lucky! Mine was in the shop 3 times before it hit 500 miles. Some apparently wait several thousand before they act up. Hope you got a good one!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can knock them off pretty easily if they're mounted vertically to a console or dash. We use them as well and I've knocked them off quite a bit.

I've got one on a Polaris Ranger mounted vertically. Been up and down a lot of rough trails and never had the mic come off the mount, and that was with a heavy Motorola microphone.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
lucky! Mine was in the shop 3 times before it hit 500 miles. Some apparently wait several thousand before they act up. Hope you got a good one!

You’re being very vague. Remember that for every complaint you see online, there are dozens or hundreds on the road with no issues... regardless of brand.

Same goes for scanner complaints here on the forums, etc. Most people only post when they have issues (except for the pictures subforum, of course).

OhSixTJ

You’re being very vague. Remember that for every complaint you see online, there are dozens or hundreds on the road with no issues... regardless of brand.

Same goes for scanner complaints here on the forums, etc. Most people only post when they have issues (except for the pictures subforum, of course).

I know that. I traded in a 2015 F250 that hadn’t been in the shop EVER and I got a brand new truck that’s been there 4 total. You have to remember that there’s also a lot of people who don’t get on forums. I’m just going off of my experience and trying to help people avoid making a mistake. I’d wait for 2021 models.

anyways, back to the topic! I had a magnetic mic as well but I found it to be too much for my ID-5100 mic so I went back to a normal mic clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.