• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 IGN turn on issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
I have a XTL5000 UHF 403-470 W1 (looks like W5 astro spectra dash mount)

i have switched power to the radio, and the same switched power to the IGN lead. this is the same configuration i have had my XTL2500 in for 6 years.

so the XTL5000 wont automatically turn on when power is applied to the radio and the IGN sense wire. i still have to manually press power each time the vehicle turns on.
Ive even swapped the XTL2500 power lead and IGN wire to the XTL5000 and same deal, doesnt automatically turn on.

Ive poked around the software but dont see anything specific about the IGN sense.

any ideas?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Radio Wide > Advanced > Ignition Switch

See the help file for details on each option.

cmdrwill

The problem may be that the main power to the radio is switched, should be on all the time.
The IGN lead will turn the radio on.

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber
Radio Wide > Advanced > Ignition Switch

See the help file for details on each option.

I found the area per your help, but the options i have access to are only
BLANK
TX INHIBIT
PTT TX INHIBIT

the radio is currently set to "BLANK"
Im using ver 20 astro25 mobile

it looks like according to the help file i copy pasted below, that "ignition only power up" "required" or "soft power off" is what i need, but its not in the list of options.

this is the W1 head that looks like a W5 Astro spectra design.

Ignition Switch

(Radio Wide, Advanced)

Selects the radio’s functionality based on the state of the Ignition switch in the radio-user's vehicle. "Ignition" is present when the vehicle's ignition switch / key is turned ON; and not present (removed) when the vehicle's ignition switch / key is OFF.

When either "Tx Inhibit", or "PTT Tx Inhibit" are selected, the Emergency Power Up feature is not allowed.

Blank:

• Radio powers-on with a radio-user power button press, or with an Emergency Power Up footswitch press.
  • Radio powers-off with a radio-user power button press.
Tx Inhibit: (Available Only When: the radio is model / option capable)

• Radio powers-on with a radio-user power button press.
  • While "Ignition" is not present, certain communications are not possible:
    • The radio does not register with "ASTRO 25 (APCO)" Trunking Systems and therefore cannot receive this Type (see the System Type field) of Trunking dispatch communications, however "Type II" Trunking Systems can receive dispatch without being registered.
    • Also, the radio cannot be powered-on with the Emergency Power Up feature, and Emergency Alarm transmissions using the Emergency Power Up footswitch are not possible.
PTT Tx Inhibit: (Available Only When: the radio is model / option capable)

• Radio powers-on with a radio-user power button press.
  • While "Ignition" is not present all PTT-Button transmissions are inhibited:
    • The radio does not register with "ASTRO 25 (APCO)" Trunking Systems and therefore cannot receive this Type (see the System Type field) of Trunking dispatch communications, however "Type II" Trunking Systems can receive dispatch without being registered.
    • Also, the radio cannot be powered-on with the Emergency Power Up feature, and Emergency Alarm transmissions using the Emergency Power Up footswitch are not possible.
Required:

• Radio powers-on with a radio-user power button press only if "Ignition" is present, or
  • Radio automatically powers-on when "Ignition" is present only if the radio turned off due to "Ignition" being removed (turned off), or
  • Radio powers-on with the Emergency Power Up feature.
  • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is removed, but only when the radio was powered-on with the power button.
  • For an O3 Control Head: "Ignition" presence is required for radio power-on or power-off; a PTT button-press or a power-button press powers-on the radio, the power-button press powers-off the radio.
Soft Power Off: (Available Only When: the radio is model / option capable)

• Radio powers-on when "Ignition" is present, or with a radio-user power button press, or with the Emergency Power Up feature.
  • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is removed, or with a radio-user power button press.
  • For an O3 Control Head: "Ignition" presence is not required for radio power-on or power-off; a PTT button-press or a power-button press powers-on the radio, the power-button press powers-off the radio.
  • For XTL1500 only: The power knob must remain in the ON position; the radio then powers-on when "Ignition" is present, and powers-off when "Ignition" is removed.
Ignition Only Power-Up

• Radio powers-on when "Ignition" is present, or with the Emergency Power Up feature.
  • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is removed.
  • Radio does not power on or off with a radio-user power button press.
  • For an O3 Control Head: No button press of any type powers-on or powers-off the radio; the radio follows the "Ignition" state.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
the W series remote used an ignition sense wire from the head like spectra. O series can do soft power off etc

petnrdx

I have what appears to be the same XTL5000 radios. W5's and a couple W4's. I struggled with the IGN and switched power and
found as suggested above. The high current power must be on all the time for the radio to "remember" to come on with IGN
sense. I didn't find away around this. I believe that is just how the 5K works.

tdeater

I think if those are the only 3 options you have, your specific model of radio does not support ignition switch power. I don't know what ones do and do not, but I recall reading something in the help file about the hardware has to support it.

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber
I have what appears to be the same XTL5000 radios. W5's and a couple W4's. I struggled with the IGN and switched power and
found as suggested above. The high current power must be on all the time for the radio to "remember" to come on with IGN
sense. I didn't find away around this. I believe that is just how the 5K works.
I will re wire the primary connection to constant 12v and leave the ign wire to the switched power and see what happens. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.