• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 1500 not transmitting

Flameout00

I picked up a UHF XTS1500 to mainly use for GMRS. I programmed in a few frequencies and although it is receiving them just fine, when I transmit, it only transmits for a second then gives me the deep tone. The red led comes on for that 1 second and using a different radio, it is indeed transmitting

The battery is fully charged (was at 7.94 volts) so probably not the battery. Could it be some setting in the programming that would cause this? I'm really not at all familiar with the software (Astro 25 Portable CPS V. R20.01.00) It reads and writes to the radio just fine but I'm just not where to look in the programming. I guess I also could have bought a bad radio. I seem to be a magnet for getting defective equipment

Can I install a codeplug from another similar XTS1500?

Flameout00

A car battery can show 12.6 volts. But, if the amperage is too low, it won’t start the car.
Makes sense. When testing with a volt meter, the middle tab of the battery is always a little lower than the outside. Maybe that is normal, I don't know. Rght now, the outer tab is 7.22v and middle is 6.61. I ordered a new (generic) battery to replace this OEM Impres. Hopefully that fixes the problem

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What is the date code? An old or worn battery may show proper voltage with no load, under full load, which your XTS in TX on full power draws just under 2 amps, will cause an old battery's voltage to drop way down, and thus, the radio stops transmitting as it doesn't have adequate power.

This is typical behavior of a radio with an ancient or worn out battery.

Flameout00

What is the date code? An old or worn battery may show proper voltage with no load, under full load, which your XTS in TX on full power draws just under 2 amps, will cause an old battery's voltage to drop way down, and thus, the radio stops transmitting as it doesn't have adequate power.

This is typical behavior of a radio with an ancient or worn out battery.
I had no idea about a date code, so I looked it up. Now I feel stupid, but thanks guys for the help. My battery is OLD! It "looks" like new but date code is 1233. Now I need to wait till Thursday for a new battery

Flameout00

I concur; that's the exact behavior of a battery with one or more weak cells. I've experienced quite a few, mostly NiMH...
I picked up a couple new batteries and the radio works great! I just need to play around with the settings in the programming software. Mainly for display and scan. Also, one of the batteries is an Impres. Will using a non-Impres charger work or will it ruin the battery?

kk6rq

I don't know if the behavior has changed in the last 10 years but as I recall, a new battery must be initialized in an impres charger, then you can use a non impres charger and the impres functionality will be preserved. As long as it's the correct chemistry for the battery though, it should work fine.