• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts 2500 FPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

Hi all-
I was wondering if it is possible to change the band of a 2500 from digital 800 to conventional VHF via the fpp? Thanks!

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Not without a lot of headaches and $. Also there would be no way to get it fixed at the depot should you send it there for a major repair.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Just to enhance what KS4VT (quite correctly) said, a couple of points:

• FPP only allows you to change a limited number of channel characteristics (tx and rx freq, tone, label, etc).
  • The BAND of the radio (VHF, UHFL, UHFH, 700/800, etc) is a function of the radio's HARDWARE not it's flashcode or programming.

So, the answer is no. To change ANY radio from 800 to VHF you need new radio hardware. The programming of the radio only indicates the specific characteristics of the "channels" within the band(s) for which the radio is designed.

I hope that helps,

Peter
K1PGV

jfab

Thanks guys. I was talking with a guy who had a 2500 in the classified section. It's 800mhz but he told me you could change it to VHF via FPP. That didn't seem right to me so I thought I'd ask the pros! That wasn't the only sketchy part of the sale either.

Thanks for saving me $400!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.