• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Xts 2500 how hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire1429

How hard is it to program the radio ???
What should I look out for when doing so so I don't jack up the radio ?????

N4KVE

How hard is it to program the radio ???
What should I look out for when doing so so I don't jack up the radio ?????
Make sure to use a real factory cable. Not a Chinese copy. While a knockoff might work fine on an older, simpler radio, it's not worth taking a chance on a 2500, or 5000. GARY N4KVE

Last edited:

fire1429

I just applyed to Motorola for an ID also I won't need a password to program the radio would I ??? I have been reading post on this web sight and all the question ppl ask about keys and flash code and so forth I ain't that familiar with these radios I have programmed icom and Kenwood VHF and looking fwd to familiarizing my self with Motorola 800mhz omni link system !!!!

RKG

1) You need the CPS, which is purchased from Motorola after establishing an MOL account. Subscription is something like $350 for 3 years.

2) Also need a good laptop and factory programming cable.

3) Also need some basic knowledge of how LMR radio works. It also helps to have some familiarity with the metaphor of Motorola programming, which has changed a tad over the years.

4) For conventional radio (i.e., non-trunked), no ID or password needed (unless prior owner of radio password protected it, in which case you need the password from him).

5) For trunked radio, you will need a valid UserID and a valid System Key file, both available only from the operator of the trunked system.

6) You start by reading the radio and saving the file to disk under something like "#### As Found," where ### are the last four digits of the serial number. Now read it again and store it again, this time under the default file name (which is the radio serial number). At this point, you edit the second read file. (You do not start with blank sheet, as is done with some other radio makes and models.) My advice is not to modify any parameter you don't understand.

I don't think you're going to learn anything about OmniLink. This is a trunked radio feature and you won't be able to program any trunked parameters without the System Key, which you're unlikely to get. In addition, OmniLink is basically a system controller feature, not a subscriber feature.

Last edited:

fire1429

do i need to know a valid system key or an user id if i have a radio that is allready programmed to the system and i just wanted to add some diffrent feauters to the radio like fix the clock or add some channels to the scann list or add another channel to the radio ?? Also i would like to tell tell you thank your for ur help and and awnsering all my questions !!!!! :)

Making the codeplug is the hardest part of programming. I was responsible for a fleet of about 300 radios a couple of years ago and would take about a week to outline how I wanted the radios to behave and what features I wanted to enable or disable. With that many radios, calling them back for tweaks could be a disaster.

The 2500 is much easier to program than the 3000. For conventional, once you know what frequencies you want, you need to identify groups of personalities. For example, I want certain channels to be digital. I want others to be analog. Some channels are narrowband. Others (by now, pretty much only ham frequencies) are wideband. Some I want encryption strapped to always be active. These unique combinations are personalities. Make those first, then you get to assign the frequencies to the personalities that will make them behave the way you need. There are also radiowide features, audio settings, signaling settings, etc. All in all, it's about 14 pages of features. There are more for trunked radios.

BEWARE - there are some trunked systems that use an "Advanced System Key." If a radio is programmed with one, you will need it to program the radio again. This is a USB dongle that basically marries itself to the radio. You will need that every other time you program after the first write with it. Also beware that 800 radios may not have "rebanded" firmware. Generally, you won't be able to program a trunked system yourself, nor should you even try!

This could be somewhat simple or very, very complicated depending on the learning curve.

Good luck!

N4KVE

do i need to know a valid system key or an user id if i have a radio that is allready programmed to the system and i just wanted to add some diffrent feauters to the radio like fix the clock or add some channels to the scann list or add another channel to the radio ?? Also i would like to tell tell you thank your for ur help and and awnsering all my questions !!!!! :)
To change features, or modify the scan list,no, but to change any trunking parameters, yes. GARY N4KVE

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
1) You need the CPS, which is purchased from Motorola after establishing an MOL account. Subscription is something like $350 for 3 years.

I just got my account like a month ago total was $270

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

fire1429 said:

You should be able to change the scan list from the panel controls. (The is a programmable feature, and may not be active in your radio.)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Is this your personally owned radio or is it an issued radio. Some system admins dont like people messing with the program. You may have spent money to find out that the whole radio is password protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.