• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 2500 PTT button turns my portable on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9IXD

My first post!
I have an old Motorola XTS 2500 that I was given at work. I programmed it for analog frequencies in my area (ham operator) and when I tried to use it last night, I noticed that pushing the PTT button turns the radio on and off. If I hold it the radio power cycles for as long as I'm holding the button, releasing the button turns the radio on. This does not work when the radio is powered down.

Obviously, the radio doesn't transmit with this problem. It can receive, I believe, though the ham situation in my area is pretty lacking so I'm not 100% on that.
I have the detailed repair manual that I'm looking through and I've read that there is a special tool to take apart the radio. I did the button test as described in the manual and all the codes came up correct, including the PTT button.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can start fixing this.

KD9IXD

I'm not sure. I swapped out the battery this morning and had the same issue. I just swapped the battery with a one from a known good radio and have no PTT tone (could be a setting in the codeplug I missed) but the unit doesn't cycle.
The "good" radio has a battery light flashing when PTT-ing (and also a tone?), so perhaps the battery is crap. I'll try a third and see what happens. They are old radios with old batteries.

KD9IXD

Yes, it was in fact the battery. I had grabbed 2 bad ones in a row. A third battery has it working.
Thank you so much!

ME801

Have you run the battery through a full reconditioning cycle? I'm assuming it's an Impress battery

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Flashing red LED when transmitting indicates a low battery, also the chirp followed should indicate low battery.
You have no PTT Tone if your keying up a conventional channel.
PTT tone is used for Trunking and MDC (if you enable Talk Permit Tone) on trunking and pre or post for MDC. I think been a while since i messed with those settings.

KD9IXD

It was not an impres battery. I got this at the radio shop I work at. The battery currently in the radio is an impres, however.

I was having a PTT tone on the one radio because the battery was too low to transmit. This one also had a flashing battery sign so I replaced that battery too. Like I said, both of the batteries that I'd grabbed were bad so they went into the recycle bin.

Its my first time working with these radios so there's a lot to learn. Thank you everyone for all your help.

ME801

In my experience Impress batteries and Impress charger, the batteries last longer. With that said they are more expensive up front, I also like having the battery level icon on the front panel to see how much battery is left.
Yes Moto stuff has a steep learning curve to use all the bells and whistles. Read thru threads here, BatLabs and CommSupport, lots of good info

K2NEC

I have nothing but good things to say about Impres batteries. They are reliable and always come in handy when you need to check the battery life remaining (especially on the 7550e it shows you your battery life, the date it was first used, and the service life left in the battery). Not to mention they recondition themselves automatically when they need to or you can manually put it into a reconditioning cycle. If you give it some time you can find nice deals on Impres batteries and chargers. I got my $60 XPR7550e battery for $25 on ebay. And a $50 Impres charger for my HT1250 for $25. Are they more expensive? Yes but it is definitely worth the extra money. According to Motorola Impres batteries last 2 years longer than non Impres batteries.

2wayfreq

Check to see that your 3 contacts on the radio are complete half circles. No flat ends or broken edges. I've see a case before of a contact having the very edge sheared off and it's enough of a gap to cause a power cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.