• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 2500 Vs. 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
The upper uhf ones are running significantly more then the other band splits, 400-600 currently on the used market from what i saw.

If thats more then the OP wants to spend, then $2k for an APX 7000 is probably a bit off his range as well.

The upper uhf ones are running significantly more then the other band splits, 400-600 currently on the used market from what i saw.

If thats more then the OP wants to spend, then $2k for an APX 7000 is probably a bit off his range as well.

Yeah. If I could just pick anything up then obdviously it would be an 8k but really it's between the 5K which I really love, the 25k because I wouldn't have to worry about getting more software, and the 3k because it's cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Personally, I prefer the 2500 when I'm looking for typical operaion. Now, when you are dealing with user selectable encryption and backwards compatibility with the 3k...the 5000 is the no brainer. My EDC radios are 5ks mainly because it's a single battery, UCM is the same as the UCM in my XTLs (minus the carrier) and they just work. However, both the 2500 and 5000 came in ruggedized version (though I've not seen a fire yellow 2500) and intrinsically safe options. Many PDs carry 2500's still...many cary 5000's still. When you have the option, it really comes down to personal preference. Oh, Commander RSM's don't fully support the XTS1500 and XTS2500.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
On the subject of the commander RSM, its actually nice to be able to get a GPS plot direct on the radio which i'll have with me, when i have an origin point to call into dispatch, and i forgot the GPS in the truck again... which I do a lot.

Of course, with the apps on the phone, which i'll most likely have on me, its a moot point.

And that should answer the question. Wildland fire.

And at the end of the season, the 2500 lives in the charger by my bedside, usually off, because im sleeping during the day and working nights. The 5000 is still in the XTVA in the truck, but I've gotten used to carrying my work issue KNG, so i'm not actively using either motorola at the moment.

...However, both the 2500 and 5000 came in ruggedized version (though I've not seen a fire yellow 2500) and intrinsically safe options. ...

Did the US market ever have a 2500r? I was pretty sure that the 5000 had an R variant, but the 2500 only had an I variant (I for immersable, not for intrisically safe. Both versions had an IS model)

I know the 5000r was available in the yellow or black, but im sure you're right in that theres never been a yellow 2500, at least in the US.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
On the subject of the commander RSM, its actually nice to be able to get a GPS plot direct on the radio which i'll have with me, when i have an origin point to call into dispatch, and i forgot the GPS in the truck again... which I do a lot.

Of course, with the apps on the phone, which i'll most likely have on me, its a moot point.

And that should answer the question. Wildland fire.

And at the end of the season, the 2500 lives in the charger by my bedside, usually off, because im sleeping during the day and working nights. The 5000 is still in the XTVA in the truck, but I've gotten used to carrying my work issue KNG, so i'm not actively using either motorola at the moment.

Did the US market ever have a 2500r? I was pretty sure that the 5000 had an R variant, but the 2500 only had an I variant (I for immersable, not for intrisically safe. Both versions had an IS model)

I know the 5000r was available in the yellow or black, but im sure you're right in that theres never been a yellow 2500, at least in the US.

The XTS2500I is actually intrinsically safe. Just like the XTS5000 counter part it features FM green seals and an FM label on the bottom of it.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The only Yellow XTS2500 was a model 1.5 that was a special run for a South American police agency

Does anyone work in public safety in MA? If so, who knows how the fire pagers work. I can never tell how my town does it because there are no tones yet they all have thes little pager things that look like a medical pager with a long thin antenna coming out the too

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Where in MA specifically are you speaking of?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The 5K is my preference until and unless I find an APX. Ignoring the APX I consider the 5K to be the best portable radios ever made. Not my favorite from an ergonomic point of view, but its overall performance and reliability makes it my favorite. It always works.

I wish for a 5K in an Astro Saber type form factor. An SSE5000 if I could get one.

But an APX is basically that plus an up to date feature capability.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I wish for a 5K in an Astro Saber type form factor. An SSE5000 if I could get one.

I wish they had made them in VHF, because i've always liked the design and ergonomics of the saber line.

My Saber R was probably the best radio i've ever owned, as weird and bulky as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.