• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts 3000 and 3000r help

Status
Not open for further replies.

klong254

help i recently got 12 of these radios online and when we sent them to the radio shop they said they are unable to be programmed to their system for some reason we have others of the same model that are on they system the only thing i find that is different is the flashcode. how can we upgrade the flashcode to be able to work on the system or is their anyone in texas who can fix the flashcode we cant pay much we are a volunteer dept. but we can pay something to get this done we also have a xtl2500 with the same issue. we have cps but from what i read we need a upgrade cd or something

current flashcode that doesnt work 140004-000000-0

flashcode from a radio thats already on system has Q806,H14,Q883,H38,Q173,Q361,Q574 (54000C-000480-1) per encoder site

Last edited:

mbnv992

It sounds like you have no idea of what you are doing. Besides the fact that you provided us zero info on your current radio system ( band split, P25 or analog, etc etc ) so we wouldn’t be able to tell you if these radios would even work with it or not. Besides all that -
1 - these are 20+ year old radios and Motorola or probably any service shop will not be able to upgrade the flash due to age.
2 - see your systems administrator for putting a radio on your FD’s system.

Personally - I would not want the lives of firefighters to be relied upon by a radio made in 1996.

klong254

It sounds like you have no idea of what you are doing. Besides the fact that you provided us zero info on your current radio system ( band split, P25 or analog, etc etc ) so we wouldn’t be able to tell you if these radios would even work with it or not. Besides all that -
1 - these are 20+ year old radios and Motorola or probably any service shop will not be able to upgrade the flash due to age.
2 - see your systems administrator for putting a radio on your FD’s system.

Personally - I would not want the lives of firefighters to be relied upon by a radio made in 1996.
like i said sir we are a small volunteer dept we cant afford to pay 3k a radio right now we have 8 radios for 40 people so im trying to get people radios i dont care how old just that they work for now. my question was how do we change the flashcode do we need to buy software or is it build into cps?

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
my question was how do we change the flashcode do we need to buy software or is it build into cps?
You're not going to be able to change the flash code using CPS. A shop might be able to upgrade them but as @mbnv992 said these are ancient radios and few shops can help you with these. IMO get rid of the 3000's, they'll be more trouble than they're worth.

You should contact your system admin or someone at the radio shop and have them provide you with the list of acceptable radios and required features, then go from there. Basic radios like the APX 900 or APX 1000 would be a more reliable option and less than $3000.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
like i said sir we are a small volunteer dept we cant afford to pay 3k a radio right now we have 8 radios for 40 people so im trying to get people radios i dont care how old just that they work for now. my question was how do we change the flashcode do we need to buy software or is it build into cps?

klong,

There's a lot to know before buying radios. As you have discovered, the flashcode issue is a big one. The flashcode is what enables various features on these radios. Without the correct flashcode, the radio isn't going to work.

So, how to update the flashcode? It takes some special software that is not easily obtainable. Usually sites like this one forbid much discussion about it since Motorola has a very strong legal department. Any agency, even a low budget one, shouldn't be going that route. Just leave it at that.

And then there's other stuff you need to figure out… Like making sure you have the right bandsplit. It would really help if you shared some useful information about which radio system it is you are trying to access. With that information provided, you'll get a lot more assistance. Without it, we're just guessing. You may not need $3000 radios. You may be able to get away with something a lot less expensive, something from this century, and something that would be reliable.

Here's the other challenge: FCC licensing. Your agency, no matter how low budget it is, doesn't matter if it's volunteer, doesn't matter what the guy that sold you the radio said, you are REQUIRED to operate under a valid FCC license. There is no exception to this. There is no waiver for volunteer departments. There is no waiver for "we didn't know". There is no waiver "we're really low budget". There is no waiver for "we bought them off e-Bay". FCC rules apply and you need to abide by them.
Here's the issue: You as a member of the agency do not hold an FCC license to operate on these frequencies. You are operating under an agency license. Until you talk to the person who's name is on the FCC license, you would be violating the rules by adding radios. The FCC rules are very clear on this. The only person who can authorize adding radios to a system is the licensee. Again, there are no waivers to this.

And then there's the part where you are relying on 25+ year old radios that you bought used from some random person, and are going to try and use them in an application where lives will depend on them. Don't take this as a personal attack, but that's just plain stupid. A 25+ year old radio is going to have problems. They are likely out of alignment and are not going to work to their full potential. Again, not something you want to use in a life safety application. You'd not ignore changing the oil in the engine, would you? So why ignore proper upkeep of the radios?
an improperly aligned radio could risk causing interference to other public safety users. Don't be that guy.

Since lives depend on these radios, LET. SOMEONE. HELP. YOU. Tell us which agency/department/radio system. Give us something to work with so we can help you. We can likely point you in the right direction, but there's no way we can do that with the little bit of info you have provided. You are in over your head here, it's obvious, but take a step back, listen to what we are saying, and lets us help.

hitechRadio

I am gonna assume you are trying to get on a P25 trunked system, and likely 7/800mhz system.

These trunked systems can be a real pain on volunteer depts. As I understand you have a very slim budget.

But......

You could of at least gotten the XTS5000's, Especially if on a P25 trunked system.
The XTS3000 P25 audio in my opinion, is absolute the worst. Having P25 in the 3000 in the first place was just an after thought, even required a certain firmware, and does not support 700mhz. You will likely start having issues with premature battery alerts, a common issue.
At least the 5k was designed to support p25 and sounds great.
You really would not have spent much more on 5k's especially if 7/800mhz model. Hams don't want those. So price is super low. Especially now, the market is over run with them.

However, the XTS5k's, not even supported anymore.
The XTS3k and The 5K may look similar, but they are completely different beasts inside.
Sounds like you need someone to help and find a grant for you. And get some APXs, or another vendor that is supported on the system.

I can not suggest EBAY, it is a crap shoot there, buy the seller.
However, I am sure the guys here could suggest a good seller on Ebay though. Lot of sharp guys here, that can help.

Can you afford $625 a radio. I have never bought from them, but I hear they are good to deal with in some forums.

Last edited:

N4KVE

I am gonna assume you are trying to get on a P25 trunked system, and likely 7/800mhz system.

These trunked systems can be a real pain on volunteer depts. As I understand you have a very slim budget.

But......

You could of at least gotten the XTS5000's, Especially if on a P25 trunked system.
The XTS3000 P25 audio in my opinion, is absolute the worst. Having P25 in the 3000 in the first place was just an after thought, even required a certain firmware, and does not support 700mhz. You will likely start having issues with premature battery alerts, a common issue.
At least the 5k was designed to support p25 and sounds great.
You really would not have spent much more on 5k's especially if 7/800mhz model. Hams don't want those. So price is super low. Especially now, the market is over run with them.

However, the XTS5k's, not even supported anymore.
The XTS3k and The 5K may look similar, but they are completely different beasts inside.
Sounds like you need someone to help and find a grant for you. And get some APXs, or another vendor that is supported on the system.

I can not suggest EBAY, it is a crap shoot there, buy the seller.
However, I am sure the guys here could suggest a good seller on Ebay though. Lot of sharp guys here, that can help.

Can you afford $625 a radio. I have never bought from them, but I hear they are good to deal with in some forums.
On E-Bay their name is Erac1. Prices are a little higher, but a very reputable company. When I needed some 900 P25 gear, I called them on the phone, & got a better price since there’s not much demand for that equipment. Zack was very helpful.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I've bought TRBO gear from them before and can confirm that they're excellent to work with. They are or were part of Sunny Communications in Lakewood Colorado, who are also good. I've used them for service on older radios before and I was happy with them.

K2NEC

Might as well add my 2 cents on eBay as well.
Erac1 is a phenomenal seller. I have bought radios from him since the mid 2000’s. Very highly recommended from me as well.
I've bought TRBO gear from them before and can confirm that they're excellent to work with. They are or were part of Sunny Communications in Lakewood Colorado, who are also good. I've used them for service on older radios before and I was happy with them.
+1 on both

Status
Not open for further replies.