• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 Firmware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im considering buying a pair of UHF XTS 3K model 2 portables with this firmware :

Firmware: 7.13.00
DSP: N08.02.08
1MB
R split ( 450-520 )

I am not familiar with the firmware versions on the 3K. I have a feeling
it's post rebanding but I'm not sure. I want to use them for conventional monitoring
purposes. Can someone tell me if it's safe to purchase them from a rebanding
standpoint? If not, what is a good firmware I should be looking out for?

Manny

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Im considering buying a pair of UHF XTS 3K model 2 portables with this firmware :

Firmware: 7.13.00
DSP: N08.02.08
1MB
R split ( 450-520 )

I am not familiar with the firmware versions on the 3K. I have a feeling
it's post rebanding but I'm not sure. I want to use them for conventional monitoring
purposes. Can someone tell me if it's safe to purchase them from a rebanding
standpoint? If not, what is a good firmware I should be looking out for?

Manny

Rebanding applies to 800mhz, not UHF. That firmware is pretty recent for the XTS3000 so I would feel safe with it.

R-Split radios are 403-470. 450-520 radios are S-Split.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding applies to 800mhz, not UHF. That firmware is pretty recent for the XTS3000 so I would feel safe with it.

R-Split radios are 403-470. 450-520 radios are S-Split.

Good lord you're right! What was I thinking? With all the Moto stuff I own you would think I'd remember that .... This is what happens when you type while you're still half asleep! Anyway, I'm not familiar with this line so asking about the firmware version is really what I need to know. Don't want anything too old. 3ks are going for peanuts these days. Just want to make sure I make an informed purchase. Thanks for the response. I think I'll go have a gallon of coffee now....:roll:

Manny

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000

I have seen sellers advertise 800 MHz radios as UHF and then bury the actual frequency in the description.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I got link with a ton of malware. I know its not on my end.. But I was able to find the Ebay ad those are a bunch of Ex DCPD radios that are flooding the market as of late.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I bought one of the ex-MPDC XTS5000's that was on there. Came with a MACE board with DES-XL and DES-OFB. Much better radio for the money IMO.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

Stay away from this seller. I put in an offer to buy 2 of them.
He accepted my offer. Just as I was getting ready to pay, I get another notification stating
that the seller cancelled my order because "item is out of stock and item is damaged."
However, his ad still says he has more than 10 available and no mention of anything being damaged.
This may be a blessing in disguise. I may either go with another seller or just go with an MTS 5K.

Manny

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I meant XTS 5K

Manny

Your call, but speaking from extensive experience I think you would be much happier with the XTS5000. Newer radio, more channels, faster boot times, better display, the list goes on.

They also play nice with USB serial converters which I have never been able to get the XTS3000's to do. I have dumped or sidelined to the collection everything that can't program with USB either with a factory cable or a quality (FTDI Chip) USB to Serial conversion cable. Dragging around an old laptop with a serial port is just out of the question these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.