• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am looking into purchasing an XTS 3K M3 that is supposed to be new, old stock. The price is right and the radio looks spotless. Being new to the 3K, I was wondering what this green sticker on the back means as well as the red and blue dots:

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Back when i worked at a radio shop we used to use green (and other color) stickers to let us know we worked on that radio.
Often times when departments need firmware updates or lots of radios need to have re-programming done its common to see boxes of radios. Its not really a good idea to try to keep paperwork with each radio. So a sticker like that is a great way for us techs to keep track of what devices have been touched.
I spent a weekend doing a batch job with another tech and we each had our own color stickers.
Hopefully someone will chime in on the blue and red dots.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. This radio supposedly was in storage with a few others as a back up to be put in line if the need arose. The department upgraded to a different system with newer radios and this radio was never used. So what you are saying makes sense. Techs probably worked on it to have it ready for use.

Manny

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If it was me guessing i would say the sticker was probably put on during a mass re-programming, during a mass firmware update or internally by the department if they did an audit or something like that.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I tend to believe the seller that the radio was unused. The story makes sense. It looks flawless. He has an excellent rating. For the money ( $135 ) I could not pass it up.

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya! I have an "S" split UHF M2 in a yellow casing that is just unstoppable. This one is 'R" split. I love the first one so much, that I got myself a second one as back up. Only concern I had was a white coating on some parts that I am told is from storage. You tell me...Nothing a good soft damp cloth can't get rid of...

Last edited:

Nasby

Armour All sprayed on the tip of a cloth will bring it back to a nice shiny black color.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
When I first got interested in the Motorola XTS line of radios my first radio was a XTS 3000 UHF model |||. Radio was brand new hardly ever used by the original owner of the radio. I sold the radio a year ago bought a XTS 5000R UHF model three that was used in excellent condition by the original owner that worked with the local law enforcement in his area before being reassigned APX portables. So I bought radio from him he made sure I was happy with my purchase and had no issues with it.

I used Windex cleaner small amount on a piece of paper towel and the radio cleaned up very well especially around the front housing, keypad area looks brand new.

N4KVE

The white on the knobs, & buttons are just a result of the crap in the air eating them up. My friend recently picked up 4 MTS2000's, & while the radios looked new, the knobs were all white. When my friend went to turn on the radios, the knobs broke into dust from the knobs being so crispy. It just happens, but I try to use ArmorAll to prevent it. Same thing happens to antennas. They get crispy too.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
WOW! Hopefully these won't break into dust. I'm hoping they just need a good cleaning. I tend to do the same as you guys with my radios including a soft paint brush to keep the dust from accumulating. I use those soft cloths that are made for waxing cars. Wet it with armour all and gently rub the radio.

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
No, but I know they guy you are referring to. This radio came out of Florida. I got it today and it is exactly as was described in the ad. Other than having an older firmware ( R05.08.00 ) the radio is in absolutely mint brand new condition, reading and writing perfectly. For the money, I cannot complain.

Manny

krazybob

I'm glad for you Manny. I got a VHF and UHF High split but I can't program the high split down into 440 because I don't know how to modify the software. Collecting information and I don't want to break a radio. Mine also are in excellent condition but they came with dead batteries that are over $100 a piece.

AF6D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad for you Manny. I got a VHF and UHF High split but I can't program the high split down into 440 because I don't know how to modify the software. Collecting information and I don't want to break a radio. Mine also are in excellent condition but they came with dead batteries that are over $100 a piece.

AF6D

I have an S version model 2 rugged version in yellow and this one is an R split model 3. I too don't feel comfortable modifying codeplugs.
I'm more interested now in finding someone who can update the firmware.

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Knobs and buttons cleaned up nice. A little damp cloth to remove the white coating then some Meguiar's stuff for a good shine.

Manny

Last edited:

krazybob

Looks like you got a good deal here. I am qualified to modify the code plug but it would be helpful to have somebody actually tell me the offsets. I know that Motorola is on the Rampage against this. It doesn't make sense either because we're not asking to break the law. I don't want to put anybody on the spot or get into any disagreements here on the matter. When I put the offset in I find 12 places where it matches but I'm told only for need to be modified. I too have the model 3 for both VHF and UHF and they are both in pristine as new condition. It's just a freaking batteries won't hold a charge. I was working an actual rescue attempting to communicate with a battalion chief and my battery died. So I grabbed the battery out of the other radio and it died within minutes as well.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear that!

I invested in a 4500 mah lithium ion battery a month ago. 15 hours plus continuous use before I had to shut it down to go to bed. Expensive but worth it.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.