• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000r Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aux9011

Premium Subscriber
Is there a certain button sequence that must be held in order to get the radio into programming. I recently acquired an XTs 3000R with a ribless cable and i can not get the radio to read. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

bezking

You don't need to do anything like that. Just attach the cable and it should read. What isn't working? Are you seeing an error message ?

Aux9011

Premium Subscriber
error message

reads "radio failed to acknowledge, error context 24, status c0000386" in astro 25 s/w and error in xts 3000 s/w reads "communication with radio failed"

bezking

Astro25 software will not work with the XTS3000. You will need XTS3000/Astro Saber software. Make sure that the correct com port is selected, the radio is ON, and that no other program is using the COM port.

Aux9011

Premium Subscriber
I have

the Saber/Xts 3000 s/w and have attempted several trys with the com 1 port and its settings. No luck. Im starting to wonder if its a bad cable. Thanks for your time and assistance.

mancow

Database Admin
Is your battery good? It sounds dumb but the Chinese ebay ribless cables seem to have an issue with low voltage. They contain surface mount 7805 5v voltage regulators but when measured they are often putting out closer to 4v for whatever reason. I found this to be problem with both of my Astro25 cables. Jumpered it with a 5.1v zener and it worked. It seems the MAX232 chip isn't getting quite enough voltage to operate properly. If you start out with a good hot battery it might help.

Or, it could just be broken. :)

Josh

Sounds like another case of non-OEM RIB-less cable garbage not working right... unless you're using some sort of USB to serial converter instead of a serial port right on the computer itself. Is that the case?

It may be a low charged battery, but if you really want to save yourself the headache of having a bricked radio at some point, save yourself headaches and purchase an eBay RIB and proper 25 pin radio cable and work from there. I bought a cheapie kawa mall RIB a few years ago as a cheap fix for my regular Moto RIB which was broken and really haven't looked back, it works perfectly.

VE3RADIO

I find if you go in to the hardware manager in windows and delete your com port, reboot you computer and your com will auto install.. this is a good way to test if your com port is the problem. If it re-installs and you still have the problem then you know its the cable..if it re-installs and works you know something else was grabbing the port.

Aux9011

Premium Subscriber
3000 cable

I literally just sent payment to Kawa for another cable. I will check back in a few days with hopefully better news..

Thanks again everyone

Nick

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I have to ask since you were trying to use Astro25 software..

You are trying to use a Jedi/XTS3000 cable, right? Not an XTS2500/XTS5000 cable...

rpgbigman

I have a xts2500 and had problems with the cheep cable. I also got the same error message.
I order a new 30 dollar cable from ebay and works fine again.
good luck. I think I messed the cable up trying to read a radio with low batttery also. so A lesson learned.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Programming XTS3000R

I have a XTS3000R and I dont know how to program it. The software will not run and I dont know if it need to be in DOS or what but im lost can someone please help.

Josh

Sounds like you need to contact Motorola about the software. What are you using to program the radio? DOS RSS, Windows CPS? What kind of cable?

The XTS3000 needs a serial cable and a Radio interface box to be programmed properly. Anything less is risky.

But in reality, if you have no clue about what you are doing, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Check out batlabs.com, check out repeater-builder.com as well, there is a wealth of information at both of those sites that will help you out in getting the proper setup.

This is pretty much the best help you are going to get with the vagueness of your post.

brickcity1306

XTS5000 RIB less

So I am playing with my radio understand the soft ware I think at least, just curious why has someone not came up with a 15 pin Vga male programming cable yet?? Or have they and I just don’t know about it.. What a pain finding a 15 pin Vga to 9 pin, I am thinking about going RIB less any thoughts my Xts is already I am researching for my department who of course will purchase the program(s) legally just wondering .. Thank you and look forward to learning from the group

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
XTL Series "error context 24, status c0000386"

reads "radio failed to acknowledge, error context 24, status c0000386" in astro 25 s/w and error in xts 3000 s/w reads "communication with radio failed"

I also ran into this problem, while programming an XTL2500. I was using a USB to RS232 converter ( Looks like an adapter no cable between USB and RS232) and would get "radio failed to acknowledge, error context 24, status c0000386." I tried a different USB to RS232 converter, Model HL-340 (converter is blue with 3'silver cable between USB and RS232) and I was able to read the radio. Not all USB to RS232 converters are created equal. Both converters were purchased on ebay for less than 5 bucks.

I have also run into this problem when programming Motorola DTR series radios.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
So I am playing with my radio understand the soft ware I think at least, just curious why has someone not came up with a 15 pin Vga male programming cable yet??

Wait what?

Where does a 15 pin VGA cable come into play with respect to programming?

All programming with a Motorola RIB is done via the RS232 serial port which is 9 pins (or in some cases, 25 pins with older machines). A VGA port is only for video to connect to your monitor, it has nothing to do with programming what so ever - such an adaptor would do you no good.

There IS a 15 pin connector on the RIB that is used to connect to the computer, however it isn't a VGA type connector. It is used to connect to either the 9 or 25 pin serial port. If you look, a VGA connector is a 15 pin three row connector that is the same physical size as the 9 pin serial connector. The Motorola RIB needs a 15 pin two row connector that is the same height as the 9 pin serial connector, however wider.

For proper nomenclature, a VGA connector is called a DE15 where as the RIB connector is a DA15. The serial port is a DE9. The "D" is reference to the series whereas the second letter refers to the size (A through E). The numbers refer to how many pins are present.

Status
Not open for further replies.