• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3K PTT Button Sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've been enjoying my XTS3K for about a week now since I programmed it the way I wanted. Yesterday it developed a nasty little problem. I accidentally pressed the ptt button on a channel that is rx only. It gave me that annoying tone letting me know I could not TX on that channel. That's fine because it's supposed to do that. The problem is, now the sound stays on no matter what. I have to hit the radio a few times with my hand to get it to stop. Even pressing the button a few times won't make it go a away. After a few hits, all is normal again unless I accidentally touch or hit the ptt button. Now, has this ever happened to anyone? How do I fix this problem? I have a chassis removal tool on the way in case I have to pop it open. The radio is working fine and is flawless otherwise.

Manny

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the flex cable in the housing has failed. You will either need to replace the flex cable within the housing or find a replacement housing with a good flex cable. Make sure you determine if the part number of your radio ends with AN or BN as the flex cables are slightly different.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Solved the issue!

On a hunch that that actual button itself might be sticking, I applied electrical contact spray. Then I hit the PTT button several times. Did this a few times and PRESTO! It now makes the same sound only on a hard press of the PTT button and stops immediately as soon as your finger releases the button. The button itself was in fact sticking! Radio operating normal now... PHEW! That was close...

Manny

jim202

On a hunch that that actual button itself might be sticking, I applied electrical contact spray. Then I hit the PTT button several times. Did this a few times and PRESTO! It now makes the same sound only on a hard press of the PTT button and stops immediately as soon as your finger releases the button. The button itself was in fact sticking! Radio operating normal now... PHEW! That was close...

Manny

Fine dirt tends to get into the space around the button or under the membrane if you have one. I would be careful using contact spray as most of them have an oil base. If that is the case, you might see the problem come back with a vengeance.

You might try flushing it out with something that will evaporate and not leave an oily film. I would consider trying some alcohol. It will evaporate and not leave an oily film. It also will not harm the plastic. Some cleaning chemicals will soften plastics. So read the label carefully before using.

TDR-94

Alcohol will eventually damage any rubber buttons or gaskets that it also happens to get sprayed on.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
So far so good. I only TX on 1 of the 40 channels programmed which is on my company frequency. So the button does not get used often. It's been a few days and I have occasionally tested the button just to check and it's good. Let's see what happens. I tend to stay away from alcohol in these situations.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.