• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 CCI Version - ADP Encryption and Secure Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

n6wzl

I have an XTS 5000 CCI version, and I would like your input in trying to solve a couple of issues.

Before I ask for your help, I just want to point out that owning this radio from legal perspectives is completely legal in my opinion. Some people have raised concerns that possessing a Type 1 encryption radio is illegal and that it may have been stolen. I beg to differ, and let me explain why.

Yes, owning a Type 1 encryption radio is illegal. But, there is no type 1 encryption installed or programmed in this radio. According to Harris' brochure on their Sierra modules, these modules are manufactured with no type 1 encryption programmed into it. They are Type 1 encryption capable but not enabled. In fact, even if type 1 encryption is programmed into the modules, they can be downgraded to so that it can be deleted. Refer to their brochure for further info here. http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/media/sierra_tcm26-9227.pdf My radio's module shows quad Type 3 encryptions. (i.e. triple DES and an AES) In essence, my radio is just a normal XTS 5000 with quad encryption and therefore legal to own.

One might say that although my radio is not Type 1 encryption ready, it is Type 1 capable. However, I am certain that the only way to enable Type 1 encryption on this radio is by programming the CCI UCM using a proprietory programming software. Without proper programming codes, CCI UCM's are just plain encryption boards. I don't think that the general public knows where to even begin looking for such a program. Harris certainly will not sell it. By a remote chance someone actually has a copy, he will not just give it away to anyone who asks. Does anyone seriously think that someone is actually going to go out of his way to get a hold of something that has grave legal consequences without getting noticed, let alone fork out an arm and a leg? If so, he undoubtably deserves prosecution. I also searched through 3 different databases and found no record of this particular radio being on their list. I think I'm pretty safe.

Now that I've cleared legal issues out of the way, I invite your expertise in solving my problems. I believe the problems are because of modified VOCON board designed to accomodate the special UCM module. And, they are:

1. The radio displays "Secure Lock" upon power up and beeps. It goes away if I press PTT for 3 seconds or so. It then goes into "normal" mode.

2. Even though I have ADP, apparently I cannot use it. Perhaps someone knows how to resolve this. If I switch from hardware encryption to ADP in CPS, the radio displays "FAIL 09/82." If I remove the UCM and check hardware encryption in CPS, it displays the same message. If I check ADP with UCM removed, same error is displayed. I don't have a bypass module, but would it solve the problem? Can VOCON board be modified? If so, how is it done?

Appreciate your input. Technical details are welcome.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think the only way to get the radio to work is to replace the controller with a regular controller.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That radio will probably be dead until you replace the controller for a non-CCI version.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You are completely ignoring that CCI items are restricted access. Is the radio marked CCI? Are any of the modules or boards marked CCI?

If you are so sure this radio has been legitimately sold to you, check with your local FBI field office.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If he's in Korea as his location status shows, he doesn't have to worry about US law anyway.

Incidentally, CCI modules have a backup memory battery. If it goes dead, then the module loses its firmware and is then totally useless.

No, ADP won't work on a CCI radio.

In terms of US law, it is theoretically possible to own a CCI radio legally, if it has no CCI algorithms in it, but Motorola's policy precludes any possibility of buying a CCI radio if you are not a CCI authorized customer.

Occasionally, a CCI radio gets out of military custody via paperwork slip-ups. Even if the radio actually has no CCI algorithms in it, any loss of chain of custody of that radio is a reportable incident as per DOD regulations, applicable to all services. But this has happened. I've seen it.

Now, if that CCI radio does not contain CCI algorithms, and you could show that it came out through surplus and any mistakes were made in the surplus system, and that's how you got it, then you would not likely be in any legal trouble but you would certainly have a radio that nobody's going to support.

But if it has CCI algorithms, your smartest moves would be to ditch the CCI vocon and board, or send it to the local FBI field office, or turn it in to the nearest military installation, and walk away.

Every CCI radio has a tracking number on it. It's right on the CCI decal on the radio. They're all unique and easily tracked.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If he is in Korea, the radio probably "fell off the back of a truck."

When I would shop in the international market area, I would see military exchange brand stuff for sale. (Back when AAFES had their name on the products.)

Besides, Korea does have laws against possession of stolen property, and takes a very dim view on things that have a negative impact on their national security. (Such as the "loss" of military assets, illegitimate use of cryptographic items, etc... When I was there, 27MHz CB usage was illegal, and we could only use our ham gear on post/base, to give an idea of how serious they take RF issues.)

prcguy

If the radio has a CCI sticker and barcode then it is a classified/restricted item out of its custodians hands and missing. They do not put CCI tags on equipment that does not require it.

If the No-No module is removed and you otherwise legally purchased it then it's a non issue, lots of equipment is declassified and surplused. However, in the US it could be confiscated just because of the sticker and difficult to get back if ever.
prcguy

ffemt601

So let me get this straight ....

1. You hold a General Class Ham License

2. You are currently working on Osan Air Base in Korea.

3. You are in possession of a Military radio and elected to post questions about it using your call sign on a public forum based in the US.

Did I miss anything?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
oh boy and I thought we would make it through the whole discussion without calling the prosecutor

FERRER53

What I read a CCI radio is useless and cannot operate without a new controller board?

kayfox

Well, it is designed only to operate with specific software and specific non-commercially-available keyfill devices, so... yes, its useless and usually not legitimately obtainable by the public.

Edit: I think it might be possible to operate without the UCM installed, but since there is literally almost no documentation on how this works and what I did find (A Guide to ASTRO™ Digital Radios, Page 21) mentioned a modified vocon... maybe not.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
CCI Radios

Some clarification for everyone...and this is all confirmed. Yes they still work as regular XTS5000's to get passed the secure lock you hold down the PTT for about a second after turning it on. ADP encryption does not work but Hardware encryption does. When programming make sure you keep the original encryption settings or else you'll get an 09 error code. Removing the UCM does render the radio useless. Programming is done via the standard Astro25 CPS. Any questions feel free to email me.

email DOT conner DOT here AT gmail DOT com

Status
Not open for further replies.