• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTS 5000 FPP QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have a VHF XTS 5000. All is well in all aspects. I do NOT have FPP on this radio. I have it on my UHF XTS2500. Now, I have a chance to add FPP. The problem is this; I have friends that tell me it's not worth it because it makes the radio more difficult to program ( more work ). Other friends tell me it will add value to the radio. I would like to know if its worth doing in your opinions. Will it add or change much in my programming? It's not gonna cost me much to get it done so money is not the issue. I am familiar with FPP as it relates to my XTS2500 but not the 5000.

PS
I did not realize I wrote STS instead of XTS until it was too late on the header, sorry.
Manny

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I have a VHF XTS 5000. All is well in all aspects. I do NOT have FPP on this radio. I have it on my UHF XTS2500. Now, I have a chance to add FPP. The problem is this; I have friends that tell me it's not worth it because it makes the radio more difficult to program ( more work ). Other friends tell me it will add value to the radio. I would like to know if its worth doing in your opinions. Will it add or change much in my programming? It's not gonna cost me much to get it done so money is not the issue. I am familiar with FPP as it relates to my XTS2500 but not the 5000.

Manny

How often do you use the FPP function on your 2500?

As far as FPP adding any value to the radio, only if its a legit flash. If depot is being used to add features it actually takes value away from the radio.

K2NEC

In my honest opinion, depends on what you need it for, but I don't think it's worth it. I had it on my UHF XTS and I used it maybe 2 times. It's a nice thing to have I guess but I never really used it or saw the need for it.
Programming was also a pain because the zone that you make an FPP zone needs to be 16 channels which is also annoying.

Mr_Boh

Echo the same comments as K2NEC.

I find it's really just a nice-to-have. Even on the APX with the better UI it's still more hassle than it would have been to properly plan and program the subscriber in advance. Not often folks are just randomly throwing up long range repeaters you didn't know about but have to operate on right that moment.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You guys make good points! I think I'm just gonna leave well enough alone, as the saying goes. I love my 5K. It works flawlessly right now. I don't use FPP really on my 2500 now that I think about it. It was just a thought but now Im glad I asked. Thank you all for your replies.

Manny

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
I recently aquired an XTS5000, and I wanted FPP on it. I am glad I have FPP because if I ever need it, it's there. I personally enjoy having that end-user flexibility in a quality radio. As those who replied before me mentioned, there are drawbacks. There's also some that weren't mentioned. Here are some FPP limitations I have come across:

1. Maximum of 15 FPP zones. All other zones must be non-FPP.
2. All FPP zones must be consecutive. You can't have an FPP zone, then a non-FPP zone, then three more FPP zones, then another non FPP zone, etc. All the FPP zones must be "next to" each other.
3. You cannot move zones around; not even non-FPP zones. *
4. You cannot move channels around; not even non-FPP channels in non-FPP zones. *
* I am under the impression both of these things CAN be done in non-FPP radios, but correct me if I am wrong.
5. Each FPP channel must have its own personality. You cannot share FPP channel personalities with any channel other than the one it is assigned to.
5A. This eats away at your personalities really fast, for you only get 255 personalities. If you use all of your FPP channels, that's 15x16 = 240 out of 255 personalities.
6. All FPP channels MUST have the same MDC system and Astro system, and these systems cannot be shared with non-FPP channels.
7. You cannot delete an FPP zone. You must make it a non-FPP zone, then delete it. If you want to delete an FPP zone between other FPP zones, you will need to make all of the zones adjacent to it in one direction standard zones before you can delete it since you cannot remove FPP status from an intermediate FPP zone (see restriction 2).
8. Trunking and FPP aren't compatible. You can have one or the other, but not both. You can also have neither.
9. Each FPP zone can only have 16 channels. No more, no less.

All of this means programming takes longer and requires a lot more planning. If you need to make major changes like rearranging channels or zones, it will be a hassle so plan ahead and configure your FPP radios right the first time!

For me the flexibility (after programming is all said and done) is worth it over all of these restrictions, but to each their own. This list is also likely not complete - it's just what I could think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add or correct it. ^-^

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
Oh shoot! I almost forgot limitation #10:

You cannot ADD or DELETE channels in FPP, only edit existing ones. So if you want room to "add" new channels, add an FPP zone of default channels that you can adjust to your liking later.

N4KVE

I have FPP in only one zone. 16 FPP freq’s max. While it’s great to have, I have never used it yet. But it’s there should I need it, which hasn’t happened yet.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The radio is only worth what the info sticker says the radio is. So unless it's a legit upgrade (Motorola doesn't sell flash upgrades for the XTS anymore so you literally have to have someone who has a spare upgrade where the flashcode matches yours) it doesn't make your radio any more valuable...it can actually de-value your radio (because then it would simply be another depot hack job).

As far as is it even needed? I did a study in my state and discovered 75% of the (over 2,000) coordinated 2m repeaters are on one of 25 pairs using one of 5 PL tones...so I just make a travel zone and program the pairs plus 5 tones via MPL.

prcguy

I don't see any difference in value between a factory or hacked radio, if it has the features you are looking for then its all the same. Its not like these radios are under warranty and they probably cost more to repair than to get another used one. Over the last 6mo I've purchased five XTS-2500s in all different bands VHF, UHF, 700/800 and 900, some hacked and some stock and they all work perfectly. I've put Chinese replacement cases on some and others still looked ok stock.

All of my XTS radios are mostly for amateur and the VHF one to support some USGC stuff, but its not like I'm a firefighter and my radio is a life or death thing, they are all basically toys. I say get um with as many features as you can hacked or not, for as cheap as you can and enjoy them. If they break then just get another one because the prices are really affordable right now.

The radio is only worth what the info sticker says the radio is. So unless it's a legit upgrade (Motorola doesn't sell flash upgrades for the XTS anymore so you literally have to have someone who has a spare upgrade where the flashcode matches yours) it doesn't make your radio any more valuable...it can actually de-value your radio (because then it would simply be another depot hack job).

As far as is it even needed? I did a study in my state and discovered 75% of the (over 2,000) coordinated 2m repeaters are on one of 25 pairs using one of 5 PL tones...so I just make a travel zone and program the pairs plus 5 tones via MPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.