• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 on Marine VHF legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal to use an XTS 5000 to monitor and transmit on Marine VHF channels? Also is there anything else I should know before doing so I.e. Transmission power, other laws etc.?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaker7

Is it legal to use an XTS 5000 to monitor and transmit on Marine VHF channels? Also is there anything else I should know before doing so I.e. Transmission power, other laws etc.?
Thanks!

Theres no issue with monitoring anything here in the US as long as your not decrypting it to listen to it. As for transmitting im not totally sure, I believe that they may be narrowband....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Theres no issue with monitoring anything here in the US as long as your not decrypting it to listen to it. As for transmitting im not totally sure, I believe that they may be narrowband....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do you know what that width would be because I do believe I can alter it if I need to change it in order to comply

On further checking, I can't figure out how to change the bandwidth. If anyone knows how to do it that would be great

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Also, as far as legality, yes, the xts5000 VHF is type accepted (type 80) for marine use.

RKG

1) Is the XTS5000 capable of transmitting and receiving on the VHF marine channels? Yes.

2) Is the XTS5000 type accepted for Part 80? Yes.

3) May you legally use your XTS5000 on marine channels? Yes, if you have a Restricted Radio Operator's License and use your portable on board a "ship," and not otherwise.

1) Is the XTS5000 capable of transmitting and receiving on the VHF marine channels? Yes.

2) Is the XTS5000 type accepted for Part 80? Yes.

3) May you legally use your XTS5000 on marine channels? Yes, if you have a Restricted Radio Operator's License and use your portable on board a "ship," and not otherwise.

What if I don't have a liscence and I use it in port or on smaller vessels?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider

I disagree. With the type 80 acceptance, and proper programming, it would be the same as any other type accepted portable.
Usable on small craft who are not required to be equipped with a (fixed) radio.
Usable on land as appropriate under the rules of the marine radio service. (shore to ship calling)

Quoted from here
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment.

Last edited:

nd5y

What if I don't have a liscence and I use it in port or on smaller vessels?

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/maritime-mobile-service

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/maritime-mobile/coast-radio-stations
Marine utility stations are hand-held radios operating at ten watts or less. Marine utility stations provide similar types of services to vessels as are provided by private coast stations. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a vessel, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/ship-radio-stations
You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, in addition to a ship station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient...To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations....

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr80_main_02.tpl

Last edited:

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

You can use any VHF Radio to monitor the Marine Band. However, in order to transmit, that radio must be typed excepted.

You can use any VHF Radio to monitor the Marine Band. However, in order to transmit, that radio must be typed excepted.

So all in all, I can transmit for recreational marine purposes on water and in port if I am communicating with a ship?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/maritime-mobile-service

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/maritime-mobile/coast-radio-stations
Marine utility stations are hand-held radios operating at ten watts or less. Marine utility stations provide similar types of services to vessels as are provided by private coast stations. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a vessel, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/ship-radio-stations
You must have a special license, called a marine utility station license, in addition to a ship station license, to operate a hand-held marine radio from land -- a ship station license IS NOT sufficient...To be eligible for a marine utility station license, you must generally provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. Additionally, you must show a need to communicate using hand-held portable equipment from both a ship and from coast locations....

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr80_main_02.tpl

I disagree. With the type 80 acceptance, and proper programming, it would be the same as any other type accepted portable.
Usable on small craft who are not required to be equipped with a (fixed) radio.
Usable on land as appropriate under the rules of the marine radio service. (shore to ship calling)

Quoted from here

I am going to amend my post slightly to provide clarification.

You are NOT required to have a license if you are operating a portable VHF radio under part 80 on a VOLUNTARY vessel (i.e. one not required to have one)
You may use that radio for all applicable uses of a marine radio, including ship to ship, ship to shore, etc.

You are NOT required to have a license for operation of a portable VHF radio from shore UNLESS you are providing a service (public coast station, private coast station, utility station) for commercial or non commercial use. There are some examples in the link provided by nd5y above. In fact, i'll quote it here:
Only those entities that provide some sort of service to vessels or control a bridge or waterway may become a private coast station licensee. Some common uses of private coast stations include: marinas, radio repair shops, bridges, locks, and yacht clubs...
...Marine utility stations provide similar types of services to vessels as are provided by private coast stations.

The basic example I can think of for using a portable on shore outside of the above would be communicating ship related information with a member of your own group or party.
HOWEVER. This is what I mean by "appropriate under the rules" Marine radios are for marine transmissions. As such, routine communications between members of your group or party on a ship and on shore probably are not appropriate. You cant just leave a portable with someone back on shore so they can tell you when the burgers are hot and the beer is cold.

I am going to amend my post slightly to provide clarification.

You are NOT required to have a license if you are operating a portable VHF radio under part 80 on a VOLUNTARY vessel (i.e. one not required to have one)

You may use that radio for all applicable uses of a marine radio, including ship to ship, ship to shore, etc.

You are NOT required to have a license for operation of a portable VHF radio from shore UNLESS you are providing a service (public coast station, private coast station, utility station) for commercial or non commercial use. There are some examples in the link provided by nd5y above. In fact, i'll quote it here:

The basic example I can think of for using a portable on shore outside of the above would be communicating ship related information with a member of your own group or party.

HOWEVER. This is what I mean by "appropriate under the rules" Marine radios are for marine transmissions. As such, routine communications between members of your group or party on a ship and on shore probably are not appropriate. You cant just leave a portable with someone back on shore so they can tell you when the burgers are hot and the beer is cold.

Yes exactly. The main use on shore is for weather regarding issues, requesting backup, fishing reports, tide, catch updates, etc. I am farmiliar with the laws regarding the use of marine radios, I just want clarification that my XTS is compliant with all regulations regarding "voluntary" use. Thanks so much!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Since the marine spectrum is not attempting to add and squeeze additional channels into itself, is it not still internationally 25KHz, no narrowbanding in use?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.