• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTS 5000 resetting when receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NHW

Premium Subscriber
A colleague acquired a Model I XTS 5000 from a seller on eBay, and I agreed to program it with the frequencies for a volunteer organization we're both involved with.

I read the codeplug from the radio and drag-and-dropped a known-good one onto the top. There were no relevant drag and drop errors. Writing the codeplug back also was fine. I'm using Astro 25 CPS 20.01.00.

The radio behaves fine right up until the point where it breaks squelch on receive. When that happens, the radio resets: you get the startup beep and the LED flashes once green, exactly as per radio power-up. Transmit works fine. I used a known-good Impres battery to rule out power issues, etc.

I noticed that the radio had old firmware, R16.00.01, but I've not had problems like this before with older firmware. Does this sound like a hardware issue? Some weird interaction with the old firmware and the new CPS? I've suggested he return it to the eBay vendor as faulty, but wanted opinions on whether it could be something else.

Radio has firmware/DSP R16.00.01; UCM R05.07.15; tuning R01.09.07; PSDT R04.00.00 and boot loader R01.01.00; if any of the other versions might be relevant.

Opfor2

I'm wondering if he bought the radio from the same seller that I got two from. The firmware and DSP was extremely old like first generation old and I wad totally unable to program the radio with CPS 20.01.00. I had the firmware / DSP updated to the most resent one and the issues went away and I was able to program the radios without any further issues. He may want to to an upgrade and see if this eliminates the issue.

wgbecks

Well, there's not much information to really do on. That said, if you don't need it then I would disable the hardware security (UCM) in CPS.
Next I would delete everything in the codeplug creating new defaults in each section as is necessary to return the radio to defaults and then
perform the drag and drop operation again.

Of course, the firmware is ancient and should be upgraded if you have the means to do so. I am also going to assume that it hasn't been aligned for a very long time and should also be serviced, especially if it's going to be used with anything associated with public safety.

wgbecks

Another thought. I would try using the Tuner Program to test the receiver to be sure it will in fact receive a signal
and to test that it can produce audio output without distortion that may be a sign that the audio output device may
be drawing excessive current causing the resets.

wgbecks

Scratch my last regarding using Tuner. You can only access the Front End alignment on UHF and 700/800 MHz radios and that's not likely to be of of any help to eliminate a hardware issue. I wonder if the radio might behave any different with an RSM attached??

Probably the best bet is to return the radio to the seller if that option is still available to your friend.

K2NHW

Premium Subscriber
Probably the best bet is to return the radio to the seller if that option is still available to your friend.

We're going with that. I've never seen one behave like this; nor, apparently, has the Internet based on a bit of searching around.

The radio does have a UCM and it looks like hardware crypto was active in the codeplug, but none of the configured personalities were set as secure. I did not want to flash what was probably a bad radio given I've only got a limited number left and /\/\ is not selling them any more.

a417

U+0000
I'm wondering if he bought the radio from the same seller that I got two from. The firmware and DSP was extremely old like first generation old and I wad totally unable to program the radio with CPS 20.01.00.
That smacks of a parts built radio from someone's stock.

K2NHW

Premium Subscriber
The one I was dealing with still had a US Govt property sticker referencing the TSA on it - I presume via some kind of government auction after they were retired. I've seen several ex-TSA ones that are all Model I with not much in the flashes except hardware multikey/OTAR and channel announcement.

jparks29

John McClane
I would keep an eye out. Some #^(&#@(& sold an XTS5K to a buddy of mine that had a HOST/DSP of 4.xx.xx, and crammed in a codeplug with ver 15 of the software that shall not be named. The Flashcode wouldn't even display correctly because the firmware was too old to understand the flash options.

Took a while to un#%( it...

So, double check your flashcode and make sure it's valid with the firmware version you're running.

Status
Not open for further replies.